BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    First-Captain

Default Shadowsun: Last of Kiru's Line (Braden Campbell)

Hey everyone, Gcsmith here with my first chat about a Black Library novel. Shadowsun: The last of Kiru's line, by Braden Campbell. Now I will start off by saying I will be doing a video on this for my youtube channel which anyone can find if they want, and I can link here if people want, but I really wanted to get some opinions off on this book quickly for anyone thinking of buying it.

Now as a Tau player I really want to read more about the Tau, and this book's release today was an excuse for just that. At £12 it is quite a small book, but don't let that put you off, it's a wonderful read protected by a lovely hard back cover and should last any avid reader for a long time.

After picking this book up and starting to read, I was hooked and couldn't put it down, Braden's detailed description of the characters when needed helps define the setting and gives great depth. I especially love his attempt at showing how a Native Creature tries to comprehend what happens.

Now to not spoil the plot too much, I will simply say it involves a crash landing and escape from a planet, along the way we delve into a portion of Shadowsun's past as well as looking further into the customs of the Tau, especially the customs involving family.

I do think it needs to be said that Braden's writing about the Tau is spot on to matching the rest of the Tau fluff/lore we have received over the years, showing their efficiency and devotion to the greater good. But it also does a great job at showing them as having a more emotional side that they try to keep in check for the greater good.

Overall this book was a marvelous little read which did a great job at adding more depth to the Tau while managing to keep itself true to the 40k Universe unlike some past attempts *Ahem* Firewarrior *Ahem*.

I would recommend this to any Tau fan.

9/10

EDIT: Forgot to mention it tells us where her trademark fusion blasters come from
    Last edited by gcsmith; 03-23-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    For the Greater good.

Campbell stopped by my local GW yesterday to sign copies of the book. I was there when the doors opened, I'm a Tau player, and just couldn't bring myself to pay $25.00 for a 'novella' published in what looked like size 14 font. I've written culmination essays longer than that brochure.

I'll read it at some point though. Ha ha!

Shas'o

As soon as I heard about this book I couldn't wait to get my hands on it, but now you've convinced me I don't just want it, I NEED IT!!! I wonder when it'll get here.

p.s. could you post the YouTube link, I'd like to check it out.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by PrehistoricUFO View Post
    Campbell stopped by my local GW yesterday to sign copies of the book. I was there when the doors opened, I'm a Tau player, and just couldn't bring myself to pay $25.00 for a 'novella' published in what looked like size 14 font. I've written culmination essays longer than that brochure.

I'll read it at some point though. Ha ha!
    Like I said, it's short, but a great read. The reason the book is so expensive I believe, is because of the really high quality cover. It's thick and really well designed. The book will last a lot of reading.

Not saying ur wrong, when I saw how thin it was I almost didn't buy it, but after reading it, and needing something I haven't read a million times before for a short journey soon, I thought it was worth it.
    For the Greater good.

First-Captain

The video is done, although youtube screwed the upload up a bit.
    For the Greater good.

Initiate

Mr. Smith, I'm gald you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for taking the time to review, and for doing so in your posh, British accent.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Braden Campbell View Post
    Mr. Smith, I'm gald you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for taking the time to review, and for doing so in your posh, British accent.
    If you're the real Braden Campbell, thanks for writing it, and it's hardly posh, though I guess it is compared to the Scotsman I live around at the moment
    For the Greater good.

Chapter-Master

Read it yesterday
    It's not worth the £12.50, it's readable, and should be part of a compilation, it's certainly not up to the quality of the Harlequin one.
    Also the ending felt rushed, almost here's your word limit.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness