Hey folks,

If you’re heading to the big “A” this weekend—here’s the skinny on the local food establishments to fuel you back up for a weekend of gaming.

Surprisingly, this isn’t an exhaustive list of places to eat within just a few minutes of the mall. I don’t eat seafood, so you won’t find that on this list. Remember, google maps is your friend.

The Yorktown Mall area:

Food Court:
It’s a food court. I think the composition stays the same pretty much everywhere in the country. Easy on the wallet, but arguably, you get what you pay for. Plus, no alcohol.

Frankie’s Deli: Located in the strip mall outside of the mall proper, this is an actual deli that’s been around for a good 30+ years. The subs are fantastic. And inexpensive for what you get. However—no inside eating area. To go, or eat outside on the few tables existing. Weather is always a factor for eating outside.

Ed Debevic’s:
Personally, I don’t see the allure of eating at a place where the server’s are paid to be a-holes. If you like getting insulted for kicks, give it a go. Otherwise, avoid like the plague.

Rock Bottom: Chain microbrewery/restaurant. Food is average, service is okay. Pricey for what you get, imo.

Claim Jumper: I have nothing but good things to say about this place. The food is fantastic, if a bit on the pricey side. The chicken tortilla soup is the best I’ve ever had. The desserts are insane. I believe they’ve changed them up, but the eclair used to be the size of a football. I’m not joking. (We’ve shared dessert with more than one table in the past.) They also have a seven—yes, SEVEN layer chocolate cake. Even my chocolate-fixated wife went “that’s crazy!” If you’re going at regular meal hours, call ahead, the place fills up rather quickly. That being said—if you go somewhere nice once this weekend. Go. Here.

Egg Harbor: A breakfast place in the mall. Pricey. Some people love it. Some do not. I’m among the “do not” crowd. Go to Honey Jam instead.

Tom & Eddie’s:
Classy burger joint. Pricey, but very good burgers. I would rate them higher than 5 Guys, and you have way more options. However, you are looking at a $10-$12.00 bill for a burger, fries and a drink. Some people will balk at this idea.

Flat-Top Grill: A wanna-be Mongolian BBQ type place. For what you get—subpar compared to a regular Mongolian BBQ. (The nearest of which, I believe, is in Naperville.) If you really want an asian grill experience—head east on Butterfield/22nd to Oak Brook Mall (about 4 minutes or so) and hit Stir Crazy instead.

Buca di Beppo: Italian restaurant with delusions of grandeur, imo. I’ve yet to eat at a Buca and have a good experience. YMMV, of course.

Capital Grille: Never been there, seems too upscale. If I want real fine dining, I’ll go to the city, or to a Tapas place in Naperville.

Just West of Yorktown (IE, right across Highland Rd.)

Welcome to “fast food” land that isn’t a McDonald’s. You have:

The Patio: They do a bit of everything. Ribs, burgers, etc. My wife made us go here once, since they had them where she grew up. I haven’t forgiven her since. I’m not a hugely picky eater…but ugh.

Jimmy John’s:
Hopefully you know what Jimmy John’s is—“sub’s so fast you’ll freak.” Given Frankie’s in the actual mall area—you’d be doing yourself a disservice to go here instead of Frankie’s.

Jersey Mike’s:
Another sub place. The kicker is they slice the meat deli-style fresh for your sub. Normally, I’d say “just go to Frankie’s” instead. However, Jersey Mike’s has one thing no one else does: Philly Cheese Sandwiches. They are probably the best I’ve ever had. The Chipotle Chicken Philly is ridiculously fantastic. Highly recommended.

Sweet Tomatoes:
This is a chain salad bar restaurant. For at least $10.00 per person, you can dine on well…salad and stuff. And it’s honestly not that great. Instead, head east past Oak Brook Mall on 22nd St. and go to Jason’s Deli at the corner (northwest corner) of 22nd and York Rd. You won’t regret it.

Further West (The Battle Bunker strip mall area)

The number one place here?

Portillo’s: If you want a beef, go here. A hot dog, go here, A burger, go HERE. Portillo’s should just be synonymous with “we do everything other chain fast food restaurants do, just better.” Dick Portillo opened up his first restaurant (a hot dog shack, of all things) about a half mile from where I grew up. Dick P. is pretty much a Chicago area icon in the food business. For a reason. Portillo’s rocks. And fairly easy on the wallet too. They also serve beer.

Chipotle / Q-Doba: Both Mexican burrito places. They’re almost interchangeable, save that Chipotle has the better guacamole imo, and they use free range meat. What Q-Doba has is ground beef as an option, and queso dip. Otherwise, it’s up to your taste buds.

Panera: Chain sandwich shop. Great iced tea. Good pastries. Good soup. Sandwiches are a “ymmv” experience. I love Panera, but not really for the sandwiches.

Honey Jam Café: This little gem of a breakfast/lunch place is on the other side of Butterfield from the Battle Bunker. The food is awesome. The wait can be long—call ahead if you want a good breakfast. A Dick Portillo owned restaurant.

Buona Beef: An Italian inspired fast-ish food place. Personally, go to Portillo’s. They do it better.

The Melting Pot:
Okay, so you brought the wife (or hubby!) with you. They don’t game. You’re abandoning them for the weekend to geek out. You OWE them. Go here. The fondue is awesome. You will win brownie points left and right. But not with your bank account. You can easily drop $100.00 here without alcohol. Be forewarned. However, it truly *is* top notch.

Just a bit FURTHER West of the Bunker (IE across Finley Rd.)

Cheeseburger in Paradise:
Yes, it’s a Jimmy Buffet restaurant. Personally, I think you pay more for the name than the food. It’s not bad, just not really worth the price tag, imo.

Juicy O:
Okay, if you can’t get into Honey Jam—go here for breakfast. Every bit as good, and sometimes every bit as hard to get into. Also—free doughnuts!

Heading East of Yorktown Mall:

On Rt. 56/22nd St:

Tilted Kilt: Hot girls in plaid miniskirts. Yes, you’re not here for the food, nor even so much for the drink. You’re here to get fawned on by your waitress. If that’s your bag, then here you go.

Kona Grill: Um…it’s basically just a yuppie grill type place. A solid “meh” in my experience.

Weber Grill: If you like steak—it’s a restaurant owned by the people who made the grill. Good, however, has gotten increasingly pricey over the last few years.

P.F. Chang’s: Yuppie-ish Chinese restaurant chain. Food used to be fantastic. However, the last few times have been on the disappointing side of things—probably not worth the price tag.

Oak brook Mall (about 4 minutes or so east of Yorktown Mall on 22nd St.)

Stir Crazy: If you want “safe” asian cuisine. (and by “safe” I mean Americanized and without all the icky stuff. (like fish heads, etc.) then Stir Crazy will be a pleasant experience. Food’s good, you have a menu, or the “create your own” options. Entrée’s are about $13-$15 per person. Though they have $10.00 “specials.” The Chicken Imperial Rolls are quite tasty.

Another Panera, see above. (Across Rt. 83 from Oak Brook Mall)

Maggiano’s: Another Italian restaurant. Food’s good, plentiful, and a bit pricey. It’s not Little Italy (area of Chicago) good, but for a chain restaurant, about the best you’ll find.

East of Oak Brook Mall

Jason’s Deli:
Corner of York Rd. and 22nd St. Fantastic food. Great prices. A salad bar that is set to make your inner veggie salivate. Roasted red pepper hummus in the salad bar? Yes, please! They offer a large amount of organic options (including the salad bar) have great soups, sandwiches, and pretty much eschew the use of high fructose corn syrup. And you get free ice cream. (yes, without the high fructose corn syrup, too!) It’s a bit further of a drive—but well worth it if you want great food. And if you like olives, then you need to try the Muffaletta. Just make sure to go for the Manager’s special (Quarter Muff) than the whole or half Muff—they’re huge.

If you want real asian cuisine--hop on the train and head into the city, then take the El south into chinatown. You will have found truly good asian food.

If you are looking for "night life" options--it's the 'burbs folks--we go into Chicago for the clubbing/dancing experience.

I'll be poking around in various games Saturday, but if you see me ‘round the Infinity tables on Sunday, come say hi! (I’ll probably be one of, if not the tallest person there.)