BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Sm seige list question?

Can I use contemptor dreadnoughts in the list?
    Purge the Weak!

Chapter-Master

who's stoppin' you?

No one i just wanna make sure im able to. I wanna do a massive dread list and i have two contemptors and i like them a lot but unsure if I can use them with the list.
    Purge the Weak!

Chapter-Master

what do the rules say? (I don't have the forgeworld book).
    I have never played anyone that has refused a forgeworld model/rules.

Tournaments, on the other hand usually limit forgeworld (which is dumb, but then again, most tournaments are completely uncreative, anyhow).

Strictly speaking, no- the Siege list gives a list of which units it can use, which includes the FW units it is allowed to take. I doubt anyone would have a problem with you doing so, however, since it clearly fits the theme of the army and was published after the Badab books were (and thus isn't really a candidate for denial by exclusion.)

Tournaments, on the other hand usually limit forgeworld (which is dumb, but then again, most tournaments are completely uncreative, anyhow).
    Way to showcase your prejudices, duder. Most tournaments don't allow FW because the rules are less familiar to people, often unclear in their functionality, and occasionally grossly imbalanced (try playing against a list running 3x Lucius Drop Pods sometime.)
    http://www.3plusplus.net/ : better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Chapter-Master

way to show your ignorance.

You'd be surprised how under powered most forgeworld units are. And it isn't hard for a Tournament Organizer to ban the Lucius Drop Pod or the thudd artillary for IG.

I AM a tournament player, and the best tournaments I have been to allow forgeworld units. Fliers, walkers, tanks, ect. The TOs ban the units that are whack. They also create clever scenarios. The requirement is that you have the rules and your list.

When you allow forgeworld, the game completely changes, and it is about using your head than using the latest greatest internet list.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 04-14-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Marine Siege army list is a forge world thing anyway, and 'not official'! So if you would use this list you would have to tell your opponent, and since its a forge world thing i would say contemptors are allowed .

[QUOTE=Tynskel;193559]You'd be surprised how under powered most forgeworld units are. And it isn't hard for a Tournament Organizer to ban the Lucius Drop Pod or the thudd artillary for IG.
    Most FW units are overcosted, it's true. But it isn't the weak units that you have to worry about, it's the broken ones. The Thudd Gun and Lucius Pod are the two of biggest offenders, but they are not the only ones.

I AM a tournament player, and the best tournaments I have been to allow forgeworld units. Fliers, walkers, tanks, ect. The TOs ban the units that are whack. They also create clever scenarios. The requirement is that you have the rules and your list.
    The fact that you think Fliers, one of the most poorly-balanced and badly thought out sets of rules FW has made, have any place in anything but Apoc games does you little credit.

"Clever" scenarios are, more often than not, either "I hate one particular army so I wrote a thing to screw with them" or "here is a pile of wacky rules that you are going to spend more time fighting than you will the enemy player."
    http://www.3plusplus.net/ : better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Chapter-Master

hahah. No duh. That's why I said the TOs can knock out the broken ones.

Nope, you clearly don't understand the flyer rules. I am not talking about Apoc flyer rules, I am talking about forgeworld flyer rules. Most of the flyers (practically all the flyers) are under gunned for their points when using the forgeworld rules. In most cases they are a just nuisance. Not to mention, there are plenty of small points upgrades to grant 'AA'.

Also, no, the scenarios do not 'ruin' one particular army, they mess with all armies. And, when constructed properly, they are just a couple more rules. Not to mention, GW has so many supplements now, and the extra missions in the back of the book, you really have problems justifying 'more rules' aspect.

I also like that you bring up balanced. Hah! 40k isn't balanced, either!
    Last edited by Tynskel; 04-15-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks for the replies folks, I also asked at my local store and my friends i play they said i could. But i will post pics later I got a new contemptor and it fits my Sons of Medusa really well because i made it into a massive tech marine. Its awesome so far I love it.
    Purge the Weak!