BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Generic Sci-Fi Stuff Isn't Stealing

Note: the following is my opinion. I am being declarative but I want to acknowledge right off the bat that I am aware that I am expressing opinion. I will happily engage in any pleasant debate, however...

I saw in another thread something that I just couldn't let slide: a poster was saying that Mantic was ripping off and copying GW's intellectual property. That wasn't really the point of that thread so I thought I put my opinion in this new thread.

Here is the essence of where I'm coming from: Mantic makes generic SF and Fantasy models. They make Space Troops, Orks, Ratmen, Zombies, and guys in power armor... ALL of these things appeared in Science Fiction and Fantasy long before Games Workshop put out a single model. ALL of these things have long pedigrees. So, I must respectfully disagree with those who think that Mantic is ripping off GW. Cheers!

On a related side note: GW regularly references real world, historical troops, weapons, and uniforms. Cadians look very muck like almost any modern, post WWII troops. GW tanks look like tanks from WWI. Krieg troops look like German troops... etc, etc... GW has no sole right to doing things like this. Good Sci Fi is always rooted in the real world... again: cheers...

'Ripping off' is a phrase that is used far too much. What Mantic do is shamelessly produce kits that are compatible with GW army books and armies, and there is nothing wrong with that. AoW do the same thing, so do many other small companies. It makes sense, if you are a fantasy/scifi miniature producer, to make your models compatible with the Big Boys range.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

If mactic wants to bring to light models that GW just made a few models or a bit of fluff for there game and other Sic-fi ranges thats fine with me.

Librarian

Not to mention:
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

Yeah, people like to toss around 'rip-off' and 'unoriginal' far too much.

There hasn't been anything 100% original since...I don't know...the first homo sapien culture developed. But even then they were probably 'ripping off' things they saw in the natural world around them. Seriously. Every idea comes from somewhere. It's what you do with it and how you put a unique spin on something that matters.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Brother-Captain

Looking at the chimps it's probably older than that.

Chapter-Master

GW itself draws inspriation from lots of difference places, and whilst it is fair to say there is little that is totally original in either Warhammer or 40K, what they do is to craft all these different influneces together in a unique and interesting way. As for companies 'ripping off' GW, I don't think there is anything wrong in making models that are clearly compatible with GW systems. After all, most model companies make things on the 28mm scale for that reason, even if the models don't necessarily fit. When this becomes 'ripping off' GW is when you deliberately and repeatedly manufacture and market products as being explicitly designed for GW and use copyrighted GW IP.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Rip off? Here my son wanted to start a Terminator army not a Necron army. LOL
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by HsojVvad View Post
    Rip off? Here my son wanted to start a Terminator army not a Necron army. LOL
    Either you're trolling or I think you missed the point of the thread.

Yes, it's clear Necrons were inspired by the Terminator movies - everyone remembers when Reanimation Protocols was called 'We'll Be Back'.

Their aesthetic is pretty far removed from Terminator, though, all things considered. Apart from being robotic skeletons (or skeletal robots?)...they don't really share anything in common.

In other words: not a rip-off.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast