BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

There is a difference between labelling something 'Space Marine shoulder pads' and 'shoulder pads compatible with Space Marines'.
    yes one fits on a label and the other one does [in europe at least].

That is why god invented small font.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    Either you're trolling or I think you missed the point of the thread.

Yes, it's clear Necrons were inspired by the Terminator movies - everyone remembers when Reanimation Protocols was called 'We'll Be Back'.

Their aesthetic is pretty far removed from Terminator, though, all things considered. Apart from being robotic skeletons (or skeletal robots?)...they don't really share anything in common.

In other words: not a rip-off.
    don't forget the black templars and their obvious homages to monty pythons holy grail, like the holy orbs of antioch.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chapterhouse is not attempting to hijack 40K, nor are they attempting to market their own ruiles or army. What they are doing is serving the market for alternate units, for bits with which to personalize units, and for those units that GW has shown no inclination to make. That last bit, I'll agree, is dodgy... but allow me to draw everyone's attention to a perhaps somewhat parallel situation.

I offer for everyone's contemplation (word of the day, sorry) the situations of the computer game franchises Doom and Diablo. Fopr anyone who doesn't know, the Doom series were first person shooter games from the nineties and two-thousands; Diablo was a third-person adventure/RPG/clickfest. The original games were released, they sold well, and then modders got ahold of them and started publishing a LOT of homebrew.

Did either publisher jump on the modders, some of which did indeed sell their products? Hell no. Diablo one and two are still selling today, coming up on twenty years since publication in Diablo one's case. The Doom franchise actually hired the top three mod teams for their expansions and sequels. The modders extended the saleable lifetimes of the core games many times over.

Now Diablo 3 approaches, and Blizzard seems to have girded it's loins and geared up to go to war with the modders. I think this is a mistake, and I predict that Diablo 3 will be on the fifty percent off sale shelves within six months of release for precisely these reasons; no support for modders, and a legal team that's been fed raw meat by Blizzard's backers.

CHS, Mantic, and the others are not hurting the core 40K game; they are supporting it. Okay, GW is not making money off them directly. But they are benefitting indirectly, and that seems to have been overlooked here.

GW isn't 'going to war with modders' to use your analogy, it has taken one company of a multitude to court for breaches of its trademarks (which there almost certainly is a case to answer) and copyrights (very grey area, hard to say, hence the ongoing court case).
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck777 View Post
    The only thing that is really unique to Warhammer are the Skaven. Few games employ Ratmen. D&D has Wererats but they were never a large society in any of their worlds (until recently).
    Skaven are based upon traditional Japanese fables especially those from the Edo period involving yōkai and nezumi. There is nothing new about social groups of vile rat men, just the scale of the infestation.

One could say that Skaven like many things GW have done is derivative, which I think is a more appropriate word for much of what people are attempting to say when they post "rip off". "Rip off" implies intent to deceive or steal for one's own use. Derivative work is an inspired adaptation. There is a rather significant difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	411px-Kodanji_Ichikawa_IV_as_Nezumi-kozō_Jirokichi.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	1945  
    Last edited by fuzzyguy; 04-16-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyguy View Post
    Skaven are based upon traditional Japanese fables especially those from the Edo period involving yōkai and nezumi. There is nothing new about social groups of vile rat men, just the scale of the infestation.
    Doi! I forgot about the Nezumi!

Rokugan also has them.

I suppose GW doesn't have anything that is not derivative.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck777 View Post

I suppose GW doesn't have anything that is not derivative.
    No one does, is the point.

Take any work of fiction, ever, and you can find something it's based off of or inspired by to varying degrees.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    That is why god invented small font.
    toy labels have to be of proper size oin EU the size of the font used on those is fixed too.

It is still irrelevent, though, as CHS selling shoulder pads as 'Space Marine shoulder pads' is still infringing upon GWs trademarks whatever may or may not fit on the packaging.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast