BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

Occuli Imperator

Webber to quit Red Bull & Formula 1.

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23074108[/url]

Leaving at the end of the season with plenty options to go to instead.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Iron Father

Going to race Porsches I heard. It's a shame I like Webber, but understandable.

I'm off to Goodwood Festival of Speed again this year and there will be plenty of F1 drivers and cars there doing the hill climb. I will take plenty of pictures for all you like minded petrol heads .
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Occuli Imperator

I think he & Jenson would be a good combo, though they are both "too old".
    It would have been good to see him given a chance as first choice driver, rather than the assistant for Vettle. Let us not forget the brilliant races he did to hold the field and allow Vettle to build unassailable leads
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Yeh, he really has been top class. Just such a shame he was in Vettel's shadow so much of the time. I really do think he had the ability to be a world champion, but never had the opportunity to really go for it, either because the cars weren't good enough earlier in his career or he was doing what was best for the team later on. Still, we can't hold on to all our favourite drivers forever. At least he is retiring; not long ago we would more likely lost him due to injury or death.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Iron Father

I don't know Shades, he's off to do Le Man with Porsche. Driver died this year.

Topically off topic..

Different things attract different folks to a sport and for me is the pit-stop times. Four tires and fuel in 3.x seconds or less with some teams looking at being able to drop that time to 2 seconds or less. (So mentioned at Monaco.) It never fails to make me grin when a car comes out with a 3.8 second pit time and the announcers talk about how slow it was. I like the 'logistics' of car sports.
    "I play Eldar, why? Does GW make any other good armies?"

Iron Father

I will be honest mate, whilst the technology is fascinating and the speed mind blowing. I really watch most motors ports in anticipation of a bloody good crash. Not death or injury resulting crashes but the "f*ck me, how did he walk away from that kind" it's why I'm also big into Superbikes and Moto GP. Lots of spills and accidents with very rarely any fatalities. Oh and let's face it the grid girls are easy on the eye too
    Don't ask me how but this year I have managed to get in on some BMW Motorsport hospitality and plan to make full use of it this year at Goodwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    I will be honest mate, whilst the technology is fascinating and the speed mind blowing. I really watch most motors ports in anticipation of a bloody good crash. Not death or injury resulting crashes but the "f*ck me, how did he walk away from that kind" it's why I'm also big into Superbikes and Moto GP. Lots of spills and accidents with very rarely any fatalities. Oh and let's face it the grid girls are easy on the eye too
    Don't ask me how but this year I have managed to get in on some BMW Motorsport hospitality and plan to make full use of it this year at Goodwood.
    Uh, that is just a given. Doesn't everyone watch it for that and maybe a few other secondary reasons?

Chapter-Master

Nah, I actually prefer seeing tactical racing, watching the timing screens to see when someone is holding back to save their tyres (maybe only a few tenths per lap) so they can push harder and overtake someone else who has worked theirs harder before. Then of course wider strategy with timing pit stops, teams working together (so long as it isn't unfairly detrimental to one driver or the other whilst they have a realistic chance of doing well in the championship) and watching the development race unfold.

The only problem with understanding the racing to that level of detail is that you really do have to pay attention through out the practice sessions as well as qualy and the race. That is a huge amount of concentration, but makes the racing far more exciting when you see the moves you've predicted coming to fruition.

Still, some of the crashes ARE pretty spectacular!
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by SotonShades View Post
    Nah, I actually prefer seeing tactical racing, watching the timing screens to see when someone is holding back to save their tyres (maybe only a few tenths per lap) so they can push harder and overtake someone else who has worked theirs harder before. Then of course wider strategy with timing pit stops, teams working together (so long as it isn't unfairly detrimental to one driver or the other whilst they have a realistic chance of doing well in the championship) and watching the development race unfold.

The only problem with understanding the racing to that level of detail is that you really do have to pay attention through out the practice sessions as well as qualy and the race. That is a huge amount of concentration, but makes the racing far more exciting when you see the moves you've predicted coming to fruition.

Still, some of the crashes ARE pretty spectacular!
    I will have to try to watch any practice or qualifiers that are televised. Keeping up with the colour rings on the tires is always fun.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast