BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default On a terrain making high.

I'm on a real terrain building high at the moment.

I've mentioned my Garden of Morr themed board on the forum before, well I've finished assembing the first 6 modular 2x2 boards with noble tomb precinct, middle class areas and lower class tombstone fields as well as fields of unmarked paupers graves. Lots of gravestones from various producers, a couple of Tabletop World graveyards and half a dozen GW Gardens of Morr. Many, many gargoyles and statues using miniatures from innumerable ranges from over the last 30 years or so. Lots of scratchbuilt sepulchres too, with internal detail. Some of the raised areas have underground crypts and whatnot as well. I'm planning a few more 2x2 boards to add variety, I think one might feature a rambling old Temple of Morr.

But I've also started work on a Nuln themed board, the basic idea is to show the entirety of my Nuln countesses main estate in Nuln. Inspired by something my brother did it will feature a lot of 2x2 boards but it won't be modular and the joins will be completely hidden by terrain pieces and buildings so it is portable and easily stored. It won't be a gaming table (except perhaps for Mordheim), more of a display table. It is inspired by this piece of artwork:

The basic plan is to have a backboard featuring a panorama of Nuln painted by an artist friend, protruding from that (by about an inch or two)will be a link of the city wall with the estate walls which will run down a terraced hill. The walls will be punctuated by towers and two gatehouses. There will be outbuildings, the main palace about a quarter of the way down, stables, a Greatsword barracks, a guard barracks, private temple of Sigmar with family crypt below, barracks, an entire suburb of houses for the families feudal serfs and worker and whatnot. There will also be a chapter house for the Knightly Order the Countess funds in return for it accepting female initiated with her being the honorary Grandmistress. On the lowest tier with its own entrance to the city proper will be the Countesses menagerie, basically an excuse to build lodgings for all the monsters I have (thank you SoM). I'm going to make this at the very end of the board so I can expand it with future 2x2s sections as I get more monsters. There will be a private garden for the countess and noble guests as well as some small parkland for the servants and serfs. There will also be a parade ground where visiting regiments of the Countesses armies can strut their stuff.

Every building will be scratchbuilt in half-timbered style, except some buildings that are commercially available with interior details. There will be sewers, basements, and everything will lift away to reveal it so I can show off or use it for Mordheim. The only fully stone building will be the guard barracks and walls and towers (no hoardings, it is inside the city afterall).

I'm going to spare no expense and lavish all sorts of attention on it as well as take my time in the execution (as in years), I want it to be the ultimate display board for my empire army. I will also try to get pictures when sufficient progress has been made.

Oh I also intend to paint up a cadre of civilian miniatures to populate it while also having enough space to display an Empire army at least double what mine currently is.

I also have vague plans for a Nuln industrial sector featuring the countesses factories and foundries with canals and docks and all sorts of things.

So, anyone else have any terrain plans, ludicrously ambitious or plain sensible?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Madam, to put it succinctly, you rock.

I have some vague ideas to create a 3 tiered ocean platform for a zone mortalis game. Life has to get out of my way first before I can get started on it though,,,,

Brother-Captain

Currently both unemployed and skint, so no grand projects for me alas, save for getting the rest of this Space Marine army assembled and painted. Very impressed with what you have planned though and would love to see some photos of it as it comes together (as well as that Garden of Morr board which sounds amzing). Course you might have to change the Idle part of the occupation you've got listed on your profile to Rather Busy.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Thanks. I like the sound of tiered zone mortalis board.
    Quote Originally Posted by roncarlin2002 View Post
    Madam, to put it succinctly, you rock.

I have some vague ideas to create a 3 tiered ocean platform for a zone mortalis game. Life has to get out of my way first before I can get started on it though,,,,
    I need to paint the GoM board first and that is going to be a long process. Everything is still basically unattached where needed to facilitate painting. One of the things I like about Empire themed terrain is it can be done quite cheaply, some 9x9mm balsa wood, 2mm plasticard and some .5mm plasticard for roof tiles is really all you need for the basic structures. Add a basic hirst arts mould for stonework.

Good point about the idle occupation status.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brakkart View Post
    Currently both unemployed and skint, so no grand projects for me alas, save for getting the rest of this Space Marine army assembled and painted. Very impressed with what you have planned though and would love to see some photos of it as it comes together (as well as that Garden of Morr board which sounds amzing). Course you might have to change the Idle part of the occupation you've got listed on your profile to Rather Busy.
    I actually bought a heap of books timber framed buildings and even tudor dollhouse making to help refine my scratchbuilding abilities. Practised on a 1/12 scale dollhouse for a friends little sister. Really looking forward to making a start but I need to keep refining the plans first.

Another inspirational artwork, Marienburg from the cover of In the Dying Light, a WFRP sourcebook:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

My dream is to make a scratch built Sartosa board (as described in DF) for use as a Mordheim stand in. But given that none of my armies if fully painted and life has other plans for me, it remains just a dream at the moment.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    So, anyone else have any terrain plans, ludicrously ambitious or plain sensible?
    I'm building a sculpted table and doing 1 of every entry in the rule book. Ohh and some floating terrain to go with my chaos army

You'll enjoy my alternate miniatures and terrain post on pirate ships, terrain and models then. When I get around to finishing it. I do sympathise with life getting in the way, I didn't get any terrain built while working on my doctorate. Did paint an awful lot of Eldar but that was therapeutic and didn't require much thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    My dream is to make a scratch built Sartosa board (as described in DF) for use as a Mordheim stand in. But given that none of my armies if fully painted and life has other plans for me, it remains just a dream at the moment.
    I think I love the planning stage as much as the execution (I'm sure this isn't uncommon given how many projects don't seem to make it past planning), I have a stack of nearly a dozen WFRP sourcebooks detailing bits of the Empire along with the BRB, the Blood on the Reik art book and lots of old Empire army books that I'm scouring for art inspiration.

Chapter-Master

I've got quite a few of those books kicking around and I have to say the Empire inspires me more than any other race, because there is so much you can do with it. The likes of Elves, Dwarves, TK, Lizardmen etc have nice buildings and asthetic appeal, but are fairly generic. The Empire has such a mixture of stuff that you can do so many things with them.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Agreed. I love gothic and renaissance architecture as well as steampunk and fantasy and with Empire I can combine all of them together. The Empire really is unique in that way, people still tend to see them as just 'the humans' or a historical army which is a real shame, as they are really the mroe original of the WFB creations. They were the first to have firearms in a fantasy setting.

Changing tack, if money, time, skillset and space were no object, what terrain would you make?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast