BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Ohh that's an evil question...

I think I'd build something crazy big, like the entire of Zharr-Naggrund, Nagashizzar or Naggarond.

Of them I think the Chaos Dwarf city would be the easiest to build (though still a vast project that would take up a large room to house it and take years to make). A vast ziggurat city with huge fortified gates at the compass points, with roads leading out to the mines and such of their empire, great slag heaps of rubble littering the blasted land around the city, the run off from smelting having tainted the land. The city itself would be square and rise in huge steps, each home to many buildings, with foundaries, smithies and workshops, as well as gladiatorial arenas, shrines and such, stables for bull centaurs and all manner of creatures.

As the ziggurat got higher, so would the buildings on it, the tiers becoming home to more and more important nobles and wizards whose towers and mansions would compete against each other to dominate the skyline. The top of the ziggurat would host the temple of Hashut which would be decoarated in all sorts of tauran imagery, fire motifs and such. In the streets would be teams of soldiers and guards, and many many taskmasters whipping on teams of slaves as they are worked to death powering treadmills and bellows.

The roads leading in would be filled with chain gangs of captives being brought in (mostly goblins and orcs, but a few other races mixed in for variety) and armies marching in and out.

And everywhere would be the weapons and war machines of the city, great batteries of Hell Cannons and Death Rockets and such.
    Last edited by Brakkart; 04-22-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

A fully detailed city complete with the castle walls. I would do ruined alternates for all the buildings so if they got destroyed in the battle I would have something to replace them with.

Easy... Skavenblight.

I would also do an Imperial City with an entire underempire below it.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Altdorf. ALL of it. An unlimited building project has to be the biggest city in the Warhammer World. The colleges of Magic, the Engineers College, the Temple of Sigmar, the Imperial Zoo and the Palace, all in city built on numerous islands with all the attendant ships, docks and so on. Just imagine what you could do with all that. As a side project, I'd build either a WE 'town' in Athel Loren or a DE Black Ark.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

I'd have to say a Black Ark too, or expand my planned board to be the entirety of Nuln.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

A Black Ark would be a pretty cool project. For anyone attempting to build one I'd recommend reading Elfslayer, as a good chunk of that book is set on board a Black Ark. If you wanted inspiration for the interior design of such a place, it's got plenty of detail on such.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Still working my way through Dragonslayer so I think Elfslayer is a while off for me. Back in the vain of thinks we can actually accomplish, I do eventually want to make display boards for my Dark Elf and High Elf armies. I'm thinking perhaps a series of floating palaces interlinked by thin bridges over rolling green plains for my Saphery HE, and a giant Temple of Khaine and Dreadlord palace complex for the DE.

I do work sporadically on ideas for Craftworld terrain but I can never get it looking right, it always ends up like something you would find on a Maiden World rather than the inside of an enormous spaceship.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

So I've started painting my Garden of Morr board, it's going to take an age to complete. Who'd have thought hundreds of individual gravestones, dozens of open graves, sixty or so crypts with interior detail and fences, walls and shrubbery would actually take a lot of time to paint.

I've done some work on my Nuln estate board too, the baseboards are done with a lot of foam on to get a rough idea of the mountainscape everything is based on and I'm in the process of building the walls that will go against the painted backdrops so my friend can start painting them and get the join between 3d and 2d as seamless as possible.

Anyone else done any work on terrain recently or seen some terrain-inspiring art?

As I mentioned to you, we've been building scenery at Games Workshop. Messy, jolly, fun!
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Veteran-Sergeant

heh, in the realm of doable terrain i've been attempting tyanid spire and chimneys. sadly my workspace doesn't allow for hotglue guns so i've been using green stuff. tis not easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast