BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Want to start a new project. Red Scorpions or Pre heresy, fluff help please.

Hi guys, as some of you may know I've been a guard player since starting this hobby back in 3rd ed. Having come to the end of my Tyranid side project, I'm now looking to start a space marine strike force.

The first thing you should know is I'm a sucker for forgeworld, and it's all their badab/heresy/early mk armour stuff that's kicked this off.

So my dilemma:

My space marine knowledge is ok, but not extensive.

The basic force will be a few squads of old mk armour in old mk rhinos, a couple of characters, apothecaries, deimos pattern predator, proteus landraider, some of the new FW termys and a contemptor dread.

Going for a classic look space marine force

I really like the look of the Red Scorpion chief librarian, but could i do a red scorpion pre heresy era -armoured force?

I could just choose an older chapter, and just remove the scorpion logos from the librarian and co.

Another model I like is the "TYBEROS THE RED WAKE" this guy just screams badass, so maybe I could do a space sharks "carcharodons" and include the librarian de-badged.

So any advice or suggestions you guys?

Which chapter should I do?

Cheers

TSINI
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Well the scorpions didn't exist pre-heresy. They don't even have a founding chapter, they're drawn from all over.

If you like Tyberos consider one of the more bloodthirsty chapters - World Eaters (Angrons chapter) or even Space Wolves and find a suitable character to squeeze him into.

And theres nothing stopping your using the Scorpion Librairan, although they (librairians) didn't really exist pre-heresy, so just use the model with a little conversion as a captain or something?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

There would be nothing wrong with you doing a Red Scorpions army, headed by Sevrin Loth, and incorporating all different marks of armour - in particular, the Red Scorpions are known for very heavily utilizing Mk IV "Maximus" armour (which was the mainstay armour mark during the late years of the Great Crusade).

Basically, it's entirely feasible that a non-First Founding army would have access to older Marks of power armour.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

Badab war fluff has the Space Sharks rolling in from the inky blackness of intersteller space. They had been gone so long nobody even knew if they were "for real". Because they were gone so long they were supposedly fielding older gear, which seems a good fit for what you are wanting to do with the FW stuff.

Banned

Might I suggest both? That way you get to keep a little bit of both and not get completely bored/annoyed with one paint scheme. It's also not unusual at all for several squads to be seconded out for one conflict or another.

Librarian

Some good suggestions here, I did think the scorpions would be a bit young for pre-heresy, though they could use the older gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Might I suggest both? That way you get to keep a little bit of both and not get completely bored/annoyed with one paint scheme. It's also not unusual at all for several squads to be seconded out for one conflict or another.
    Hmm, Definitely tempting to do both, I wouldn't mind starting with a space shark boarding force, some termies and a couple of squads of boarding marines led by Tyberos, maybe a dread of some sort. That will keep the investment of money down to start.

or maybe I'll just not worry about Loth, he's a cool model but trying to force him into another chapter seems too much work, but if i was to start a ground based force, then this is an option.

Cheers for the replies, any more suggestions are welcome, I need to do some research into colour schemes now to see what chapters I like.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by TSINI View Post
    Some good suggestions here, I did think the scorpions would be a bit young for pre-heresy, though they could use the older gear.
    Keep in mind that most of the armour marks still see some form of production in the modern 40kverse (apart from the mk1, maaaaaybe mk5, I'd imagine), so it's more a matter of fluffing that the army/company you're painting up has received a disproportionate amount of older armour.
    Last edited by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer; 05-02-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    And theres nothing stopping your using the Scorpion Librairan, although they (librairians) didn't really exist pre-heresy, so just use the model with a little conversion as a captain or something?
    Yeah, they did. It was a project of the Emperor's. Up until the Council of Nikea when all Librarians were told to stop using their mind bullets and shoot regular ones instead.

And if he wants to use Librarians he might want to stay away from the World Eaters...