BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fav 40k Trick!

Default Fav 40k Trick!

What's your favorite 40k tactical trick maneuver? Deepstrike and template blast from Marbo? Outflank and hack and slash with Kroot? Outflanking with Space wolf melta scouts? Deepstrike behind enemy lines with XV8 melta suicide suits? Trygon terror?!

What have you got? What makes you grin at the table when you look at your reserve choices?

Chapter-Master

Not a reserve trick...but I did enjoy using a unit of Wraithguard with fortune and enhance and a Wraithseer to hold an objective this weekend.

Not much moves a unit that has a 3+ armour save or a 4+ cover save, which is rerollable, is T 6, WS5 S5 I5 and has FNP. All the usual stuff that kills and everyone spams (missile launchers) don't ignore my FNP so they didn't move short of an incredibly dedicated assault unit or massed fire for 4-5 turns. (or sisters with rending heavy bolters catching them on the turn with failed Fortune).

My other is DE. 20 Warriors, 2 Cannons and Sliscus, in cover, with a Hemonculus. At 36 i get 12 shots. At 24 it becomes 30 shots. Under 12 its 48 shots, hitting on 3's, wounding on 3's. My archon has a "Hall of Fame" of units killed in a single round of shooting, that includes a squad of assault terminators, a Mawloc, a demon prince and a greater demon of every god except Slanesh. Then to defend themselves, they're in cover, with FNP.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

My fav 'from reserve' move is to drop in a unit of XV8's armed with TL meltas behind enemy lines and pop armor. Nothing takes the smug smile off of a Marines player's face like you popping his shiny new land raider while his guys have to foot slog it all the way across the table to get to grips with me.

Second favorite is outflanking unit of Kroot with Hounds. A unit of 12 with 4 dogs, can lay on 48 attacks on the charge! 12 of which are I5!

Last favorite has to be the malicious application of Marbo. Place him anywhere near the enemy HQ or vital units and tie them up for a turn or two while you maneuver to a better fighting position. He dies almost every time, but not without causing some serious damage before he leaves.

This is by no means a secret but I get no end of pleasure from getting turn 2 charges on an entire army with my battlewagon orks. 13" move + 2" disembark + 6" Waaagh! Move + 6" charge = 27" of goodness.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

GK:

mordak+libby (teleport homer+summon) DS in on turn 1
    6 falchion paladins+banner +flamer in a LRR with psyflame, are summoned by the libby,
    paladins assault out the LR

turn1 terminator charge FTW (and a LR right in your face :L)
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Default Nids

I suppose that my favourite trick is (when playing Tyranids) is to drop two units of Zoanthropes out of Mycetic Spores near to vehicles to (hopefully!) blow the blazes out of them when they arrive, outflank a couple of units of 10-20 Genestealers and have a Hive Tyrant with Hive Commander to help with reserve rolls. Rather nasty!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    GK:

mordak+libby (teleport homer+summon) DS in on turn 1
    6 falchion paladins+banner +flamer in a LRR with psyflame, are summoned by the libby,
    paladins assault out the LR

turn1 terminator charge FTW (and a LR right in your face :L)
    Yeah... not to troll, but this isn't legal.

Mordrak and Libby come down first turn. Fine.

I'm not really sure what the final ruling is, (do you deep strike first, summon first or both happen at the same time?) but I don't believe the librarian's deep strike and summoning can happen simultaneously, therefore you wouldn't be able to cast the summoning when you deep strike.

Teleport homers don't work for 3 reasons. 1) The teleport homer specifically mentions Interceptor, Strike Squads and Terminators. 2) Teleport homers don't work for the summoning because it's not an actual deep strike, (it simply uses the deep strike rules,) and 3) even if they did work, the homer has to be on the board at the start of the turn to work, which it's not.

Finally, you can't assault out of a vehicle that has been summoned.

Anyway, my favorite things involve outflanking massive platoons of IG dudes who are ready to do work in the name of the emperor in either shooting or assault. Astropaths are really a godsend.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by bforber View Post
    Yeah... not to troll, but this isn't legal.

Mordrak and Libby come down first turn. Fine.

I'm not really sure what the final ruling is, (do you deep strike first, summon first or both happen at the same time?) but I don't believe the librarian's deep strike and summoning can happen simultaneously, therefore you wouldn't be able to cast the summoning when you deep strike.

Teleport homers don't work for 3 reasons. 1) The teleport homer specifically mentions Interceptor, Strike Squads and Terminators. 2) Teleport homers don't work for the summoning because it's not an actual deep strike, (it simply uses the deep strike rules,) and 3) even if they did work, the homer has to be on the board at the start of the turn to work, which it's not.

Finally, you can't assault out of a vehicle that has been summoned.

Anyway, my favorite things involve outflanking massive platoons of IG dudes who are ready to do work in the name of the emperor in either shooting or assault. Astropaths are really a godsend.
    Sadly for fuzzbuket this is true. You have the use the summoning at the beginning of the librarian's movement phase...once they deepstrike, it's no longer the beginning of the librarian's movement phase.

Chapter-Master

aaw , but i havnt used it in game atm just thought about it (too lazy/skint to buy/paint a LR in NMM lol)
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Default Tau firing squad and manticore madness

It's pretty generic, and arguably effective or not, but:

x3 XV8 full suit teams with drones (all in one blob) 9 burst cannon shots and 6 missile pod shots, and 2 drone shots TL (per team), so... 51 shots going into a unit of terminators with the best AP I can muster is AP4, and I kill all of them? Brings a smile to my face, and a big frowny pout to the emperor.

Statistically, only 1/2 or less would actually land (w/o marker light support), but even with 25 shots actually landing, and wounding on 2's (missiles S7) and 3's ( burst cannons and drone carbines S5) 2+ save won't save all of them, or at least enough of them to force a leadership check (hopefully with negative modifiers for marker hits) Hopefully they run away and cry to their chaplain...

Also, the look on my opponent's face when I bring a manticore (or two) on the board is usually fun too. I haven't even fired a shot from it yet, and the dread they feel simply from its presence is enough to give me a warm and fuzzy. Of course when they kill it by turn 3 is a little frustrating, but it's still my favorite weapon the IG has.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast