BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Hazmat gear in your local FLGS.

So just another gripe about my last visit to my favorite FLGS. Arriving about noon, I talked to the usual goons and sat in the usual place, drank my usual drink and set myself up for a pick up game. All normal and happy and fine. I find myself sitting down at my table waiting for my opponent to finish rounding up the list that he wants to field when... Here comes the twist in the story (dun dun dun). I catch a sniff of something most foul. Rotten eggs? Old sneakers? Tofu?! no. To my surprise it was my opponent. Only 2 minutes after the guy arrived at my table I find myself trying not to gag at his odor. Trying to no be rude or hurt the guys feelings I went outside for a cigarette while he finished. Long story short I suffered through the game, gave the usual pleasantries and got the F*** out of dodge.

My question is: "Is it socially acceptable to don your gas mask during a pick up game?"

-Kataklysm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCA9BDLYF.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	1950  

Chapter-Master

It's probably slightly more subtle to sneak a stick of deodorant into their gaming case.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Am I the only one finding it hilarious that a smoker is complaining about how somebody else smells?

I've never encountered smokers as stinky as some of the people (males*) I've encountered in games stores and other geek heavy activities.

*Boys really are stinky.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

We need to come up with a diplomatic way to decline a game that is pretty universal and can be used in the following circumstances:

• your opponent is actually billowing a cloud of rancid spores across the table
    • your opponent is convinced that his IG army can split into 3 man squads with the stealth and nightfight rules, and are packing 24" assault 2 lascannons because "thats the fluff of his army"

We need a get out of jail free card for these desperately avoidable games

Something like

"I'm sorry, but my army would have no intention of invading this planet"

Or

"I'm sorry, my force has withdrawn to a safe distance, choosing not to engage you in combat"
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Am I the only one finding it hilarious that a smoker is complaining about how somebody else smells?
    That should be a testament to how bad this guy reeked. I, a smoker, could barely stand the nurgles rot hovering around this guy. Also I have been told by non smokers that they were surprised that i did actually smoke, never having smelled it on me before.

so there.

Occuli Imperator

At my local GW, they have started to rather unsubtly spray air freshner near people while coughing. They pull it off in quite a humourous manner.

Librarian

having worked in a gw i am familiar with this problem . i actually took the bull by the horns (my then manager forced me to take the bull by horns- he had no intention of going any closer than necessary!) and had a chat with the guy (albeit a brief chat so i could escape to a safe distance). if it is a problem in a store- my recommendation is to tell the staff. they are responsible for safe-guarding patrons and if a vile odour is assailing your nostrils and may well cause you to choke to death on your own vomit- well let's just say they need to safe-guard better! Plus actually mentioning it to them isn't necessarily a bad thing- a lot of them don't actually realise because they don't have people telling them that they are exuding a noxious odour!

ALShrive
    ALShrive; found somewhere between fact and breakfast.
    Horseman of the Derailment

Hehe, yeah I guess we're all familiar with this problem. Admittedly, I have a spacious enough store with good airflow and don't suffer so much from it. The worst I have to deal with is people smelling of alcohol (I'm in Finland). Some people can't go a single round of Magic without the need to pop outside for a beer.
    Usually, I just flat out tell them, that if they cannot sit down for a few hours without alcohol, they don't need to turn up next time. I get kids in the store, and having half-baked tubby tweens just isn't cool..

Librarian

I am very sensitive to aromas, and have been for a few years now, and OMG does it get bad sometimes. I have someone in my dnd group that smells when he gets here, and finally the group got sick of it and threw a towel and some soap at him and asked him to use my shower. we were getting really sick of this.

If it weren't in a tournament, I would just decline the game, as I can only stand fowl aromas for so long before my delicate nasal palate will have me gagging. If it is tournament, I will just give the person that dirty look we girls are good at giving until the game is over, hehe.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast