BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default What's the best option

Ive been painting a Tyranid army,and was wondering what would be my best option of cases to transport them?with all the huge models and small ones with all kind of arms,I'm thinking the GW cases will be useless. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

I have some of my 'Nids in a GW case. It's fine for the termagaunts and rippers, but the hormagaunts, zoanthropes, and especially the genestealers have a tough time not getting caught on foam and just fitting in general. Everything else is, well...impracticable. Battlefoam has some neat 'Nid specific trays that are nice and look like they would be perfect. Though they're a bit pricy that's what I'll be using for my new Necrons as soon as the funds become available. (Maybe sometime in a few months after I've filled up on the new releases....)

If you don't want to blow a ton of money on battlefoam/ a tablewar display case you may want to consider doing what I did with my Nids. I went to wal mart and grabbed a cheap multi gallon storage tub and used pluckfoam picked up at my flgs and put my models in the foam and the foam in the bin for transport. Of course trygons and perhaps the new tervigons dont exactly fit super well in pluck foam due to being so tall but I found that there is usually a decent amount of extra room in the bin so that if you put those models at the top the extra clearance required for them can be circumvented.

I'm doing a 'nid army as well. My solution for the big pieces has been thick foam squares, the kind used for replacement sofa cushions, cut into suitably sized pieces and then hollowed out to form clamshells. I've been cutting them to allow for the base to ride just at the bottom of the clamshell block. I get them at a local fabric center that sells upholstery supplies.

I will be the first to concede this solution is bulky and means multiple boxes to move the army, but I haven't hit on anything better. My Tau army I can get from the car to the store in one move, albeit with practice. No way in hell that is going to be the case when I start taking my 'nids.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    If you don't want to blow a ton of money on battlefoam/ a tablewar display case you may want to consider doing what I did with my Nids. I went to wal mart and grabbed a cheap multi gallon storage tub and used pluckfoam picked up at my flgs and put my models in the foam and the foam in the bin for transport. Of course trygons and perhaps the new tervigons dont exactly fit super well in pluck foam due to being so tall but I found that there is usually a decent amount of extra room in the bin so that if you put those models at the top the extra clearance required for them can be circumvented.
    Using tackle boxes lined with eggcrate mattress topper foam works great too.

Smile

ve ben checking out the battlefoam line,and they are pretty awesome.Albeit very costly. it would seem that in order to fit the whole army i would need to cases,in which id probably need a second mortgage to afford..ill have to give it some more thought.

Chapter-Master

GW did a special monster case that could fit Stompa in quite comfortably, so should be able to handle nid monsters. Sadly now out of stock, but you may be able to pick one up off ebay.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Banned

Battlefoam. Hands down. I own one of the 1520 (or something like that) cases with trays for my space marine and tau.

The cases are great and the foam is better. However, I suggest a lot of research before you order. Measure all of you models and plan what should go in which tray to avoid wasting space and ask for specific advice on ordering tyranid trays from BF. They case will last forever, so make sure you have it planned out close to perfect.

I don't own any other cases, but I have seen a decent variety. I cringe every time I am playing and see my opponent pull jumbled models out of gradually loosening pluck foam or when they pile up trays with models that don't quite fit in the cells.

Edit:
    BF does a Black Friday sale every year. I think it is 25% off.

I use plastic bins with dividers for each unit. The big guys are all broken down with magnets (arms, upgrades and waist) for ease of storage. I would love to have a Battlefoam transport for my guys but I cannot reasonably afford it.