BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Fellblades

Librarian

Question Fellblades

How many fellblades can one SM army own? It sounds like they cant have more than one. but IG can have quite a few in an there armys.And yes I know SM are a fast and hard hitting force, but seiges can slow them down to a snails pace if there oppent is dug in. What if they are defending they should have long range support other than THs.
    my grip

Are you referring to fellblades during the heresy period or those that have been scrupulously maintained in chapter armories since the second founding?

Superheavies are usually line breakers and titan hunters, not defenders.

In 40k the game, armies don't have a FOC option for every single thing they would have available in "reality". And, you may have some special bits for special scenarios such as found on the Fortress of Redemption which mixed interceptor grade lascannon with dedicated defensive missiles. In fluff, you also see SMs using servitors and other automated defenses to provide static defense on occasion. The Rynn's World novel (which expands on the Crimson Fists back story) shows that such defenses aren't always perfect.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Occuli Imperator

Very little is known about fellblades, they are pre-heresy baneblades equivalents. I would imagine now the STC has been lost and they are each treated as a rare relic for the armies to which they belong and would not be very numerous.

Brother-Captain

What this all boils down to is: your chapter can have as many Fellblades as you want. If their fluff says they have a lot and have been maintaining them since the Heresy, then they have a lot. If their fluff says they don't have a lot, or any, then they don't. It's your chapter; do what you want.

Personally, I don't like Fellblades. As an IG player, I have sort of proprietary feelings about Imperial superheavy tanks. Baneblades and all the assorted variants belong to the Imperial Guard, and they're one of the things that help make the Guard distinctive. When the Fellblade came out , I felt like the Marines were taking something that made the Guard cool and saying, "Look, we have one like that... only better! HAHAHA!"
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Rissan4ever View Post
    What this all boils down to is: your chapter can have as many Fellblades as you want. If their fluff says they have a lot and have been maintaining them since the Heresy, then they have a lot. If their fluff says they don't have a lot, or any, then they don't. It's your chapter; do what you want.

Personally, I don't like Fellblades. As an IG player, I have sort of proprietary feelings about Imperial superheavy tanks. Baneblades and all the assorted variants belong to the Imperial Guard, and they're one of the things that help make the Guard distinctive. When the Fellblade came out , I felt like the Marines were taking something that made the Guard cool and saying, "Look, we have one like that... only better! HAHAHA!"
    I'm with you I have IG and SM and my super heavies are with the IG ( I won't lie to you, I've been tempted to do a Fellblade but I'll keep the armies as they are)
    *"The Emperor Protects"*
    Brother G

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitorsog View Post
    Are you referring to fellblades during the heresy period or those that have been scrupulously maintained in chapter armories since the second founding?

Superheavies are usually line breakers and titan hunters, not defenders.

In 40k the game, armies don't have a FOC option for every single thing they would have available in "reality". And, you may have some special bits for special scenarios such as found on the Fortress of Redemption which mixed interceptor grade lascannon with dedicated defensive missiles. In fluff, you also see SMs using servitors and other automated defenses to provide static defense on occasion. The Rynn's World novel (which expands on the Crimson Fists back story) shows that such defenses aren't always perfect.
    There's no way Orks are gonna survive!!!!!
    >
    *"The Emperor Protects"*

Librarian

IG needs all of there tanks and super-heavies for them to make it to the end of any battle. but if need be why can't SM have Titans they would be more than able to handle the stress that comes with piloting a titan.....and got off subject. SM need any super-heavies for a long drawen out fight that the IG are to far out to help.

Pendragon38... Space Marines dont fight long drawn out conflicts in the ways that guardsmen do, i.e via attrition like the old Death Guard. Plus titans are the realm of the Mechanicus and always have been, giving Space Marines titans is quite needless really. Marines serve a specific purpose much in the same way as current Special Ops - "sort of", hard to described them really.

It also sort of contradicts the ideology of splitting the armed forces of the Imperium into significant groups, i.e the divison of the Legions and their Imperial army groups (into, Space Marine chapters, Imperial Navy, Imperial Guard and Ad Mech - even if Ad Mech were already more distinctly different).

The reason they split them down was due to the Heresy consisting of large groups of all of the above turning traitor either through the Personality Cults of the Primarchs, or another reason.

Also Games Workshop wants (as has been previously stated) to have armies that are actually unique
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus-Master-of-The-4th View Post
    Pendragon38... Space Marines dont fight long drawn out conflicts in the ways that guardsmen
    This is it, Marines are your line breakers the surgical strike force, not the forces that would be used in a large scale theatre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus-Master-of-The-4th View Post
    Also Games Workshop wants (as has been previously stated) to have armies that are actually unique
    If you remember back to RT, everyone had everything so there were guard jet bikes, marine jet bikes, eldar jet bikes, every choice or option that was available was almost replicated identically in another army. It meant that most people played the game the same way regardless of their army. I really love that the armies I know have play very differently from each other and it reflects the body of fluff (or lore) that has been built up over the last couple of decades.