BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Default Eldar Fire Dragon Themed 2k for Tournament

Alright, well I've got an upcoming tournament next month and have been trying to finalize my list. The tournament has an odd formant - only one of each army is allowed to sign up. Fortunately I have secured my spot with Eldar, and nearly every other race has been represented by signing up. Basically this means I have a lower chance of facing Marines all day, which is fine with me

Anyway, the list:

HQ
    Autarch 90
    -Power Sword, Fusion Blaster

Autarch 90
    -Power Sword, Fusion Blaster

Elites
    5 Fire Dragons 222
    -Exarch with Dragon's Breath Flamer & Crack Shot
    -Wave Serpent w/ TL Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon

5 Fire Dragons 222

5 Fire Dragons 222

Troops
    10 Storm Guardians 247
    -2 Fusion Guns
    -Wave Serpent w/ TL Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones

10 Storm Guardians 247
    -2 Fusion Guns
    -Wave Serpent w/ TL Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones

Fast Attack
    Vyper 70
    -Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon

Vyper 70

Vyper 70

Heavy Support
    Fire Prism 150
    -Holo-Fields

Fire Prism 150
    -Holo-Fields

Fire Prism 150
    -Holo-Fields

None of the missions have Kill Points, so while looking at the list factor that in. It is a little lacking in scoring, but the missions all have primary/secondary/tertiary objectives, so if my scoring units are destroyed there are other options for winning.

Thoughts?

And yes, the whole army is bright orange and yellow

I just love seeing other Eldar lists on here.

Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
    -A crap ton of Melta. I LOVE these guns. Who doesn't?!
    -Lots of highly mobile armor
    -Lots of high Str shooting

Cons:
    -low amt of scoring units
    -low amt of bodies for 2k pts
    -Dragon's Breath on the exarchs

Basically you're relying on the Eldar Vehicles to keep your army afloat. Against armies with loads of AT weaponry this list will most likely die. Quick. On the other hand, you have some of the best and most survivable transports in the game! So I can actually see this list working very well!

I'm not the biggest fan of Vypers over other units (I personally like Warp Spiders but they're an acquired taste) but they fit well in this. You'll have to get smart with them and the transports to ensure maximum protection. I.e. make sure your Vypers properly screen your Wave Serpents to give them Hull Down (or vice-versa depending on how you wanna play it). Keep your storm guardians in the back and rush forwards for a game-deciding objective capture. They're gonna have to be some very tricky tricky Eldar to survive any encounter.

Also, I suggest dropping the shuriken cannons from your transports... Youre gonna be firing a main weapon already with your twinl-inked top gun (unless you flat-out, then youll be firing none). This means that those shuriken cannons are wasted pts. Maybe drop one or two to give your storm guardian serpents Star Engines. That'll give em that extra edge to cap objectives late-game.

As for the Fire Dragons, Adding an exarch with crack shot is amazing and useful especially in min-max squads. However, you're losing out by giving him a heavy flamer! Since you'll probably be firing at Tanks most of the time anyways with those squads the flamer will just bounce right off the hull! I know it is incredibly tempting to use the free upgrade but youll be killing mass infantry with all those S6 shots elsewhere in the list. Besides, Fire Dragons are made to kill vehicles. Keep the fusion gun on the exarchs or replace them with Firepikes.

All-in-all, expect at LEAST 1/2 of those vehicles to be dead by turn 5. Good luck! Looks like a fun list! Saim-Hann would be proud.
    Last edited by Forgottenhero; 04-25-2012 at 11:51 PM.

I used to not take Exarchs on the Fire Dragons, but when playing against horde lists the Dragons are pretty useless, which is why I give them the Flamer.

I need as much firepower as I can get, so the Shuriken Cannons need to stay. I normally move my vehicles 6" anyway so everything can shoot.

So if I drop the Exarchs that leaves me with 51 points to spend... not sure what to do with it though :/

Well we all play our Eldar different. I only offered a few suggestions

Here are a few more suggestions:
    Suggestion 1:
    -Drop an Autarch (You really only need one...), one Vyper, the Exarchs, and a Fire Prism.
    -Add in a War Walker squad of 3 with Scatter Lasers. (24 S6 R36" shots Outflanking are awesome...)
    -Change the Storm Guardians to Dire Avengers with whatever kit you desire.
    -Add in a Farseer with guide to ride along with some unit.

Reasons:

-Adds a LOT more firepower versus horde/high toughness armies.
    -Adds support for your low-bs units.
    -Better ability to hold objectives.
    -Preserves your AT units

Suggestion 2:
    -Drop one Autarch and Exarchs.
    -Add in 2 more Vypers.

Reasons:
    -Preserves original list integrity.
    -More mobile.

Suggestion 3:
    -Drop both Autarchs and the Exarchs.
    -Add in 2 Farseers with Guide and other powers.

Reasons:
    -Adds a LOT more support to your army. Fortune will help keep your hull-downed vehicles survivable and Guide will help your shots count.
    Last edited by Forgottenhero; 04-26-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've decided to drop the exarchs and the spirit stones to upgrade one autarch to yriel. After reading through the missions for the tournament having the +2 to reserves will be incredibly useful, and yriel is a very useful character against nearly all armies. I used to take farseers but due to the prevalence of psychic hoods I have found that psychic powers simply aren't reliable enough. Reserve bonuses are though

No problem. I like the addition. Yriel is a beast!

Although I was mainly thinking of you using the Farseers for support, they also make for excellent psychic defense with Runes of Warding. Making all opposing psykers take their tests on 3d6 is simply amazing. Either way, good luck with your list!