BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rewrite

Veteran-Sergeant

Default Rewrite

Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders really upset us!

Here's the game folks: You name a rule and rewrite it so it is more clear! It could be a poorly written rule, a confusing rule, a well crafted yet slightly long winded rule, a plain and simple rule or one that doesn't quiet fit into any of the previously mentioned categories but you feel the need to comment on it!

So put on those thinking caps, dig through that codex (or rulebook) and remember what our 9th grade english teacher, Mrs. Terwilliger, taught us... K.I.S.S. Keep, It, Simple... Silly!

Brother-Captain

OK, I'll bite:

On Page 48 of the Core Rules for Independent Characters ...

What it currently says:
    Some Codex books allow you to field characters together with a special unit that they cannot leave during the game (which is normally called a 'retinue', 'bodyguard' or similar). Where this is the case, the character counts as an upgrade character until all of the other members of this unit are killed, at which point it starts counting as an independent character and it will do so for the rest of the game.
    What it would say if adequate play testing and a better editor were involved:

Option A:
    Some Codex books allow you to field characters together with a special unit (which is normally called a 'retinue', 'bodyguard' or similar). These special units are all those that can only be fielded as an addition to an independent character, unless expressly amended by a given army's Codex. Where this is the case, the character counts as an upgrade character for that unit. He may not leave it until all of the other members of the unit have been removed as casualties, at which point he counts as an independent character again.
    Option B:
    Some Codex books allow you to field characters together with a special unit (which is normally called a 'retinue', 'bodyguard' or similar). In a given army's Codex, these special units are identified in their description as having the 'Retinue' special rule. Where this is the case, the character counts as an upgrade character for that unit. He may not leave it until all of the other members of the unit have been removed as casualties, at which point he counts as an independent character again.
    The current rule is ambiguous and a bit open to interpretation.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Chapter-Master

Good Lord, I don't think you can fit enough characters in a post to cover all the rewrites I would do. I don't think I could stop once I started.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

I agree with Link in my codex alone it's hard to choose, I kind of have to ask is wish listing allowed, for example can you rewrite a rule even if there's no real reason too? If so I'd change the Rage special rule, I'd keep the forced movement but grant the unit furious charge as well.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by doom-kitten View Post
    I agree with Link in my codex alone it's hard to choose, I kind of have to ask is wish listing allowed, for example can you rewrite a rule even if there's no real reason too? If so I'd change the Rage special rule, I'd keep the forced movement but grant the unit furious charge as well.
    Would the Furious Charge gained from Rage stack with an existing Furious Charge the unit may have?

Veteran-Sergeant

1) The 'Fieldcraft' special rule for Kroot be changed to either 'Stealth', or upgraded to apply to anything that isn't clearly a man-made structure, such as a building. Woods and forests are just too scarce in 40K for this rule to really be all that useful/relevant.

2) Pathfinders no longer require a Devilfish to be bought for them to be fielded.

3) The option to take Markerlight Drones in units in the same manner as Gun Drones.

4) Pathfinders with markerlights are automatically equipped with target locks.

5) Sky Rays can eject their missile rack once they have expended all of their missiles and function as Devilfish for the rest of the game.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    OK, I'll bite:

On Page 48 of the Core Rules for Independent Characters ...

What it currently says:

What it would say if adequate play testing and a better editor were involved:

Option A:

Option B:

The current rule is ambiguous and a bit open to interpretation.
    Your rewrite wouldn't work though, as someone could misconstrue "removed as casualties." Gotta take into account removed from play models, etc.

www.queencityguard.com

With the Tau, a markerlight (a laser designator in the real world) is a heavy weapon whose many gifts cannot be used by others in the same squad as the model with the markerlight.

This rule ought to be called the "Y'all don't look, boys, this here might burn yore eyeballs out!" rule It's that stupid. That's the first rule I'd change. I'd also make it an assault weapon so the poor unit with one can actually move and still use it. (That would be pathfinders, in case anyone is wondering.)

Drones. Where do I start? Current rules says that gun drones are fast attack jet packers that can operate as an independent unit if they start out in squads of five or more. Crisis suits can buy a mix n' match pair of gun drones, shield drones (4+ invul sv) or marker drones, and they can keep up with the suit, so they have to be fast attack jet packers as well. But you can't mix n' match in an independent unit of drones; they can be gun drones only... with the BS of an ork. You can put a targeting array (+1 BS) in a drone (witness the sniper drone) but they don't put them in gun drones.

In an associated gripe, the sniper drone operates in groups of three, along with a drone controller guy (or DCG) who has nothing but a 'networked markerlight' (the sniper drones can use it) and a pulse pistol (5/5 A1 R12' - maybe the DCG uses it to destroy the 'networked markerlight' in the instant before he dies, that's about all it's good for, because anything in range of that pistol is assaulting, and one shot isn't doing anything to stop 'em) Oh yeah, and if the DCG dies, all the sniper drones die! Oh, and just to put the frosting on this, because the DCG is not in a suit, the drones have to conform to his speed - and his markerlight is a heavy weapon.

Rule change: Drones can operate independently in any size unit - they're AIs, after all - and can be mixed. Now I don't need that wretched useless DCG anchor keeping my sniper drones from moving around. Oh, and if I detach the two gun drones from a vehicle, I'll have an answer for my opponent if he asks where the other three are.

I could go on, but there's my nickel's worth.
    Last edited by LordGrise; 03-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Reserves.

let's change that goofy luck-based rule to something that makes more sense in the real world.

First, pick which units you want to group together, and use that group as one of your reserves. on a 3+, it comes in. but if you roll a 2+, it comes in on the next turn.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
    Reserves.

let's change that goofy luck-based rule to something that makes more sense in the real world.

First, pick which units you want to group together, and use that group as one of your reserves. on a 3+, it comes in. but if you roll a 2+, it comes in on the next turn.
    Just go with leaked "6th ed" version. It was pretty much perfect.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast