BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is where a Chapter Approved supplement for the codex would come in handy. The Codex Space Marines which would have basic unit descriptions (Captains, Chaplains, Librarians, Tactical Squads, etc), lists and stats, and fluff along with how to tips on assemble and paint your new army, then a supplement for each major "codex adherent" first founding chapter with their successor chapters, special characters and wargear, special units (like Tyrannic War Vets for the Ultramarines or Sanguinary Guard for Blood Angels, modifications to force organization charts (for those pesky Dark Angels Scouts that are not Troops, but Elites), suggested army lists, and appropriate fluff. So if you want to play Ultramarines or one of their many successors, you get the Codex plus Chapter Approved: Ultramarines. If you want to play Blood Angels or Fleshtearers, you get the Codex plus Chapter Approved: Blood Angels. Fancy a shadowy hit and run army? Then get the Raven Guard supplement. All this would be three-hole punched for placement in a binder. Seperate codexes for the two non-codex adherents (Space Wolves and Black Templars) would also work.

This could also work for the various Xenos armies, Guard, and Chaos. An Iyanden Eldar army would have access to some different units than a Biel Tan army for example. Supplements for Cadians, Catachans, Tallarns, Mordians, etc. could introduce new special characters and rules. Limitations could be added for certain factions that don't exist for others, even though both armies are the same race/group. The Inquisition could also be done the same way with seperate supplements for Grey Knights, Sisters, and Deathwatch as well as Custodes, Arbites, and Inquistor retinues.

What they really need to do (and never will) is to give each major Codex-Compliant chapter a large section of the vanilla marine codex. What if we had 7 Ultramarine Character, 6 Iron Fist characters,

What if, for the new Vanilla Marine Codex, they included 5 Characters from each of the codex-compliant first founding chapters? These characters would help flesh out each chapter and allow the player to customize his army based on his Chapter of choice's tactics.

GW won't do this because that would mean there would be too many characters in 1 codex.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Goochman View Post
    With only 9 first founding Chapters why GW doesn't do a codex for each of them?
    WTF? Seriously?

There are 16 codices in the game. GW already can't keep up, and several books are what, a decade old? Of the current 16 books, how many are already Space Marines? And players regularly complain about how many Marine armies there are.

What you consider to be significant differences in fighting styles are really very minor. You know what's different? Eldar. Dark Eldar. Tau. IG. Orks. Not yet another army with bolters, power armor and razorbacks.

Grey Knights, and maaaaybe Space Wolves and Black Templar, are the only Marine codices with actual rules that are genuinely different enough to actually warrant a unique codex. BA are assault Marines as troops with FNP, Fast vehicles and a couple of unique units. DA are terminators as troops, and that's about it. Space Wolves and BT at least have the courtesy of having a unique squad structure with no sergeants and the Wolf Guard, Neophytes, etc, and some unique units like Blood Claws.

One afternoon (I just got out of college and don't have a real job yet, so I've got a lot of free time), I took literally just a couple of hours to write out a word document with a single armylist from which you could replicate basically any SW, vanilla, BT, DA, BA, etc Marine armylist that currently exists, all in one book. Most of the work was just copy/pasting unit entries. Chapter Tactics gives you all the flexibility you need to combine all the books into one.

What GW does currently is, presumably, good for their business. But as far as the players go, focusing more on Xenos codices would be much, much more beneficial to the game than another seven Marine books that are virtually identical in most ways other than USRs and a couple of unique units.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix01 View Post
    This is where a Chapter Approved supplement for the codex would come in handy. The Codex Space Marines which would have basic unit descriptions (Captains, Chaplains, Librarians, Tactical Squads, etc), lists and stats, and fluff along with how to tips on assemble and paint your new army, then a supplement for each major "codex adherent" first founding chapter with their successor chapters, special characters and wargear, special units (like Tyrannic War Vets for the Ultramarines or Sanguinary Guard for Blood Angels, modifications to force organization charts (for those pesky Dark Angels Scouts that are not Troops, but Elites), suggested army lists, and appropriate fluff. So if you want to play Ultramarines or one of their many successors, you get the Codex plus Chapter Approved: Ultramarines. If you want to play Blood Angels or Fleshtearers, you get the Codex plus Chapter Approved: Blood Angels. Fancy a shadowy hit and run army? Then get the Raven Guard supplement. All this would be three-hole punched for placement in a binder. Seperate codexes for the two non-codex adherents (Space Wolves and Black Templars) would also work.

This could also work for the various Xenos armies, Guard, and Chaos. An Iyanden Eldar army would have access to some different units than a Biel Tan army for example. Supplements for Cadians, Catachans, Tallarns, Mordians, etc. could introduce new special characters and rules. Limitations could be added for certain factions that don't exist for others, even though both armies are the same race/group. The Inquisition could also be done the same way with seperate supplements for Grey Knights, Sisters, and Deathwatch as well as Custodes, Arbites, and Inquistor retinues.
    I like the way you think Brother

Brother G
    *Remember Rynns*
    "The Emperor Protects"

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    Mmmm, I'd kill for a detailed Iyanden Necromancer army list.

Goochman: You liked the look of the Tempus Fugitives 30k stuff, right? How about that setup for a Space Marines Codex? A generic set of units and Wargear, with each founding legion getting ~3 pages giving it a unique FOC, Chapter Tactics, Special Characters and a couple of unique units. Gives 'em all a good deal with one codex, could even wrap Blood/Dark Angels in with that model. Hell, that model would apply well to most of the codexes.
    You are right there, I like it

Brother G
    *Remember Rynns*
    "The Emperor Protects"

There are similarities among chapters that should be grouped together in separate books. One could base their codex off of these similar traits and use their respective characters to make them unique to their partner but completely different from another power armor codex (I always thought it odd for white scars and ultras to share a codex). For example;

Dark Angels/ White scars- this codex can be based around bikes as troops (The darkies can still get their beloved deathwing)

Imperial Fists/ Iron Hands- Tough, durable, defensive, siege warfare, etc...

Blood Angels/ Raven Guard- Why not put raven guard and blood angels in the same codex? Makes more sense than the Angels of Death codex (Dark/Blood angels).

Ultramarines/ Salamanders- well equipped, tactically sound marines

Space Wolves/ Black Templars- Assault freaks, very divergent, both hate psykers, both use youngsters (neophytes and blood claws)

In total I'm only adding one more book to whats already out there but you are getting a wealth of flavor and a chance to delve deep into the background of all your favorite chapters.

Of course this will never happen.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrWobbles View Post
    Blood Angels/ Raven Guard- Why not put raven guard and blood angels in the same codex? Makes more sense than the Angels of Death codex (Dark/Blood angels).
    Umm, because they have completely different styles of warfare? Sure, they both like using jump pack assaults, but that is it. BA use it for lighning fast, overwhelming shock and awe style strikes. RG use them for surgical, stealth hits, frequently behind the lines at high value and poorly defended targets. it would also ignore all their other units, like Death Company or the RG heavy use of scouts.

As an RG player, I really don't think we need our own codex. Whislt we have unique style of warfare, there isn't enough divergence from Codex Astartes to warrant it. You can build a perfectly fluffy army using Shrike and 'standard' SM units. Ditto for Salamanders and White Scars. It's not like we have Ravenwings and such like in our armies. Whilst GW could make some unique units up, they would simply be doing so for the sake of it, not to mention altering the fluff.

Also, as other have mentioned, GW struggles to keep all it's current armies UTD and balanced, I see no need to make this task harder by adding yet more SM codexes that will be very similar to ones already out there. If they really want to do a new army there are far more interesting prospects like Mechanicum or a new alien race.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

I've never heard a complaint that there were too few marine dexes. There's about four too many in my opinion. If they paid even the slightest attention to their fanbase, not everyone plays marines. What they're doing is making a self-fulfilling prophesy (Make more marines books, more people buy marines, marines are top sellers, ad infinitude)

I'm pretty sick of how much love SM get from GW, while cool armies like Eldar and Tau go decades without updates. Space Marines (if you include all power armour loyal armies) have been updated like 10 times since the Eldar book came out. That's cruel, and pretty much a punch in the face of every Eldar player.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    I've never heard a complaint that there were too few marine dexes. There's about four too many in my opinion. If they paid even the slightest attention to their fanbase, not everyone plays marines. What they're doing is making a self-fulfilling prophesy (Make more marines books, more people buy marines, marines are top sellers, ad infinitude)

I'm pretty sick of how much love SM get from GW, while cool armies like Eldar and Tau go decades without updates. Space Marines (if you include all power armour loyal armies) have been updated like 10 times since the Eldar book came out. That's cruel, and pretty much a punch in the face of every Eldar player.
    I wouldn't word it quite that strongly myself and I'd also change "SM" to "Imperials". IMO, it's not good for the hobby or the game to have such a heavy presence from what amounts to a single faction.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Umm, because they have completely different styles of warfare? Sure, they both like using jump pack assaults, but that is it. BA use it for lighning fast, overwhelming shock and awe style strikes. RG use them for surgical, stealth hits, frequently behind the lines at high value and poorly defended targets. it would also ignore all their other units, like Death Company or the RG heavy use of scouts.

As an RG player, I really don't think we need our own codex. Whislt we have unique style of warfare, there isn't enough divergence from Codex Astartes to warrant it. You can build a perfectly fluffy army using Shrike and 'standard' SM units. Ditto for Salamanders and White Scars. It's not like we have Ravenwings and such like in our armies. Whilst GW could make some unique units up, they would simply be doing so for the sake of it, not to mention altering the fluff.

Also, as other have mentioned, GW struggles to keep all it's current armies UTD and balanced, I see no need to make this task harder by adding yet more SM codexes that will be very similar to ones already out there. If they really want to do a new army there are far more interesting prospects like Mechanicum or a new alien race.
    I get the RG thing, well what can I say, people wants more Xenos, I want more specialized marine codex. Tomato-Tomatoes, with the RG being infiltrators, Crimson Fist= almost depleted chapter with a huge hatred of Orks, Imperial Fist= defense masters, etc.... GW really needs to tweak the marines, also one thing that I would like to see GW do is give credit to the Salamanders, I really think that they should be able to move and shoot with the heavy weapons, if an IG character can do it and he's just human, why not the sons of Vulcan? Of course change the point values to represent this, I mean according to the fluff their planet pulls mayor g force over their bodies ( reason why their Initiative is lower in close combat )
    Any thoughts on this?
    *Remember Rynns*
    "The Emperor Protects"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast