BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default some advice wanted for bird-lions

so, i just picked up my long awaited demi-gryphs. however. i'm not terrible keen on painting a bird/mammal creature. i can do lizards and dragons no problems but the old Karl franz deathclaw.... was less then satisfactory. so! before i start in one these babies. i was wondering if any one has some suitible ideas concerning the general colors i should apply to the Demi's. i'd aim for something a little closer to realistic lion/eagle colors but i'm certainly not opposed to other set ups. any how, what are others doing to their gryphs?

Chaplain

Heya!

I think picking your colours is really important. GW colours tend to be loaded with pigment and be very very bright, not normal for mammals and birds (except in small places). For Lion style fur aim for a dark beige or khaki, not yellow, for tigers similar, take some orange and add grey.

The Demigryphs are really nice models, but I can see how the muscles and 'fur' bits could be quite unforgiving. On page 71 of the new Empire book it shows one Demigrph with greyish paws- its called 'socks' on a horse which looks very nice and heps break up the colours. The other Demigryph at the bottom of the page is black with dark brown highlights- another good way of avoiding big stark areas of skin which can be daunting.

If it turns out badly, and if your freehand is ok, try adding feint big-cat markings, but find some pics online first and practice the shapes with a pencil or pen, or with a paintbrish on your palette first.

As for feathers- not so different from scales- lots of detail and texture so dont sweat it!

Battle-Brother

its not a demigryphon but im painting the gryphon of the isle of blood box at the moment. I started with bubonic brown (dont know how its called now) and so far used the red ink on it. I think so far its a good start.

I think the best advice for painting animal hybrid creatures is to start from a similar basecoat. So for eagle/lion, start both with an earthy brown and the take them up in slightly different directions. Using the same wash will help tie the halves together as well. That said, I think the contrasting tones used on the GW models, especcially the Amber Wizard Gryphon, are really striking.

Personally, if I ever paint one, I'll be going for a pigeon glued to tabbycat look.
    "Paws off ma cheeze!"

Veteran-Sergeant

ahh my thanks for your ideas.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiL6GaPzgbY&list=UUsVtZ8SRClYf4tPzy8HjNtA& index=2&feature=plcp"]Demigryph tutorial[/URL]

Maybe it will help

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by diabloiiiitems View Post
    Decades after it's recognized launch, the actual Mmo (massively multi-player on the web role-playing game) is constantly on the execute superbly and contains effectively retained players interested along with brand-new expansions. As with any various other video game inside the genre, figure development will be the extremely fact of each game. For each[url=http://www.bestwowgolds.com]wow gold[/url]
    Mmo, figure further advancement will be strongly stuck just using [url=http://www.bestwowgolds.com]buy wow gold[/url]
    earning your in-game currency exchange. Within Wow cataclysm release, the forex is known as[url=http://www.bestwowgolds.com]wow gold[/url]
    Platinum.
    Cool story bro
    You think running with scissors is dangerous? Try sky diving with them!

Chapter-Master

Gotta love Spam! it is almost as good as the ads that surround the forums!

Veteran-Sergeant

well. i painted one up, i went with a pretty basic paint selection. some how unintentionally i copied the feather color of the dudes on the box cover. but that aside boltgun metal and shining gold for the armor ... turned out nicely