BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by andrewm9 View Post
    All I know is that this would hurt some armies signifacntly in close combat. For instance, Sisters of Battle for whom close combat is already weak would suffer greatly under this rule as most units cannot take anything better than a single power sword aside from the Death Cult Assassins and Crusaders in the Battle Conclave.
    Except, you know, Repentia are an entire unit of chainfists.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    I'll clarify.

We don't actually know what the rules will be. We don't know if they've just tweaked 5th ed, we don't know if they've completely rewritten it, we don't know if they've just tweaked Fantasy to work for 40k. So before you ask 'why was this needed', you might want to wait to find out what 'this' is first.
    Well we DO know (or at least, the rumours lead us to believe) that there are some pretty massive changes coming. Whether they are part of an even greater rewrite or just "tweaks" to 5th is a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by the jeske View Post
    the change to rules nerfs stuff. this means people have to buy new stuff and kills of the secondery market , so it is a double bonus for GW. they change rules because in 4th you didnt buy mass tanks[unless you played circus] other then 2 rhinos for sniping and everything with AC . they nerf rending , buff transports and melta and you suddenly have to buy melta units , for example . rhino rush in 3ed made you buy mass rhinos ? 4th nerfed them in to the ground . your BA army was las/plas minimax +mass DC with chaplains ? the WD dex and the 5th dex make you use RAS , razors ,anything that is not a las plas minimax and DC .

drastic change to rules rises sells.
    Right, but I don't see how these changes, aside from the buying buildings rumour, will influence that. And that one didn't need massive changes to be implemented.

Brother-Sergeant

The sisters won't have much of a problem as weak close combatants if Flamers in the "charge reaction shoot" faze are used normally.Eviserators...

I'm guessing the importance of bubble wrapping your armour will become paramount against Deep Striking units who can charge on arrival.I wonder if defensive weapons on Armour will be able to Snapfire/charge reaction shoot makeing them truly defensive weapons?

As for the AP value complicating the game I dought it,in time it would become as common place as knowing the stats for a meltagun.I can't see how they're looking to balance giveing all CC weapons an AP,I dought they will.A knife or fist won't have AP but everything else yea why not.

I've never played competitively,I love the 40K universe(the Grim Dark version anyway) so the cinematics and things makeing sense like for instance being able to shoot first at the guy who brought a knife to a gunfight,I love it or actually shooting a guy with a Plasma pistol instead of throwing it at him in close combat.

I hope fleet of foot adds a bonus to consolidation distance or that predominantly CC orientated armies get one to emphasise thier hoard numbers and momentum.(providing it becomes possible to consolidate into combat again)In the least it adds something else to think about haveing to spread a defending force out and become more piece meal to a Refused Flank assault but negate consolidation or Castle Up and concentrate fire but risk getting mobbed.
    If it makes you think a bit harder about strategy and slightly less Rock,Paper, Scissors...I would personally rather see blood baths then decisive victories.

I wonder what effect barriers and barricades could have if purchasable.
    Last edited by Lucian Kain; 06-01-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Brother-Captain

I imagine if the purchasing building thing goes through it will work one of two ways:
    New entries in codices/errata/a White Dwarf update

or

Generic Bastion
    AV 14 all around
    1 mounted weapon on each facing (heavy bolter or equivalent)
    Open-topped, or some sort of shenanigan where all models on the top level can fire, etc.

Would work with the already-released bastion kit. Heck it could work with the Fortress of Redemption with just a few tweaks, too.

Brother-Sergeant

Now they'll have to release army specific bastions, interesting.

Chapter-Master

I can see it being one generic. Fantasy has the "folding fortress" and thats in the rule book and the same for all armies
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Brother-Captain

Yeah, I don't really know Fantasy, but something like that sounds about right.

Gives them the opportunity to release some xeno bastions (fingers crossed...though there's a dearth of non-human WFB terrain, isn't there? ) that can be used to that effect by their respective armies.

From White Dwarf, a tenuous link!

Picture of Orky fighter being pursued by two Nightscythes. Which it describes as having 'popped up'.

For those who have been playing for yonks, skimmers used to be able to perform Pop Up attacks. Hide behind terrain, declare pop up attack. You essentially ignore the terrain you're behind in terms of LoS, and then blast away, before dropping back down. In 2nd Ed, and Epic, units on Overwatch, or First Fire could take a pot shot at the emerging target.

Could be fun to bring it back!

Chapter-Master

I like the idea of purchasing buildings.

Most boards do not have enough terrain as it is, so buying a building (let alone a bunker!) can make a difference for your army.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    From White Dwarf, a tenuous link!

Picture of Orky fighter being pursued by two Nightscythes. Which it describes as having 'popped up'.

For those who have been playing for yonks, skimmers used to be able to perform Pop Up attacks. Hide behind terrain, declare pop up attack. You essentially ignore the terrain you're behind in terms of LoS, and then blast away, before dropping back down. In 2nd Ed, and Epic, units on Overwatch, or First Fire could take a pot shot at the emerging target.

Could be fun to bring it back!
    I remember pop up book attacks!
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast