BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    The ability to "shake" a tank to death is going to kill vehicles. Eldar holofields suddenly become ridiculously crap, and just delay the result.

This would make it worth while to pay the 20 points to possess a Rhino Transport. That way you could only destroy it by A wrecked result caused by a good dice roll with a glancing AP1 weapon or a penetrating hit. That is unless the current system where a vehicle can be destroyed when it is immobilised and has no more weapons to destroy, and you roll a 3 or 4.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

I have a hard time believing hull points are legit. It's a bit of a stretch to say that GW suddenly decided they no longer want to sell Land Raiders or Necron kits (anything av13/14 really just becomes worthless, rhinos don't become worse since you already are expecting them to move 12 or 24 then blow up).

I could, however, see hull points replacing the current system for stacking 3s and 4s.

It would make extra armour pretty badass if you ignored stunned messing with your hull points then.

Chapter-Master

Come on - vehicles becoming more fragile is going to make them completely useless? That's definitely grognard talk. Even if you could whittle a vehicle down to death with three stunning hits, vehicles are still mobile and still give protection to the troops inside. I don't think this rule will make Land Raiders, or any other super heavy vehicle, completely useless.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by mullinstron View Post
    It would make extra armour pretty badass if you ignored stunned messing with your hull points then.
    It makes possessed vehicles even more evil...
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Or then the

Vehicle type (Heavy, tank, etc..)

will make the exception to the "3 stun -> wreck" rule

I mean, if monolith is currently the only one, i bet there are other similarly "heavy"- type vehicles coming, giving atleast some forces equal measure of protection to the vechiles that are designed to take the punishment and still carry on..

Note that the "heavy" rule was just an example, it could be altogether different rule that would grant immunity to such behavior..

Brother-Captain

Didn't the rumour about the stunning-to-death thing specify that heavier vehicles than Rhinos would have more Hull Points?

If Hull Points are true, it's hard to say how bad they'd really be without knowing, say, how many Hull Points a Land Raider would have.

Or whether Hull Points have to be tracked over multiple turns or all in one turn.

I'm not ready to cry wolf yet, at least.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

I find the "hull points" thing unlikely since it really heavily changes the way vehicles work, and adds a level of what seems to me like unecissary complexity and bookkeeping to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Is it cynical to think GW might do "lore" charts for magic just so they can sell more of the "limited" physic power card decks for each army?
    They could already do that with the existing psyker powers. Also I'd say 1 in 4 fantasy players actually goes out of their way to buy the power card deck for their army since it's all their in their book anyway. Plus the cards have never been integral to their business model, unlike say Privateer Press.

Chapter-Master

While cards are integral to PP's business model, you get those cards for free when you buy the unit, nor do you have to buy their codex equivalent to play. All you need are the core rules and the models. It's actually really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by thefremen View Post
    I have a hard time believing hull points are legit. It's a bit of a stretch to say that GW suddenly decided they no longer want to sell Land Raiders or Necron kits (anything av13/14 really just becomes worthless, rhinos don't become worse since you already are expecting them to move 12 or 24 then blow up).
    Quite the opposite, Land Raiders just became much, much better transports than Rhinos.

Remember, different vehicle have different hull values. Rhinos get 3, maybe Land Raiders get 5-6. And since now cummulative damage results matters bigtime, not getting damaged in the first place

And the idea that you expect rhinos to die turn 1 is absolutely not true, at least not amongst competitive players. It's not a big deal if a mere Rhino dies, but if all a Rhino got you was an extra 6" of movement one turn then they wouldn't be so common. Things like Fortitude would be useless if Rhinos just blew up left and right. In reality, Fortitude is extremely useful. Shaking/Stunning Razorbacks and Chimeras for most of the game is standard practice.

It's precisely this reason that makes hull points such a good idea. Currently, you can spam so many vehicles that are tough to kill that it's messing with the game. Make those vehicles more fragile by making shaken and stunned results actually matter, and all of a sudden Razorspam and parking lot lists get a big nerf, and that's good for the game.

If this is true, then there's no more reason to automatically take a transport for every single one of your units like there currently is. Foot lists become much more viable, and you can be more flexible with your weapon loads because you won't have to deal with 10 light vehicles before you can even touch any infantry.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    Didn't the rumour about the stunning-to-death thing specify that heavier vehicles than Rhinos would have more Hull Points?

If Hull Points are true, it's hard to say how bad they'd really be without knowing, say, how many Hull Points a Land Raider would have.

Or whether Hull Points have to be tracked over multiple turns or all in one turn.

I'm not ready to cry wolf yet, at least.
    I agree with this. I have a feeling that the hull points will be more or less related to front armor value, giving thicker vehicles like Land Raiders more while leaving Rhinos and DE Raiders less.

It's also possible that hull points might be able to be recovered via a new system of Repair rolls.

Keep in mind, that all of these little tidbits are very much out of context. We don't know the rest of the rules that would affect it. To simply insert hull points into 5th would be an interesting 'fix' to vehicle spam, but that's not what they're doing. They're remaking a lot of different parts of the game. It's possible that the combination of hull points and the change in AP values, and potentially even a new 'glance/pen' chart might make vehicles more balanced than ever.

Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast