BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Everyone is assuming that the imperium will get tanks with tons of these "hull points" while other races will be left out in the cold.

I suspect races like Eldar, DE, and Tau will have their own toys to put on their tanks to make them more resilient. I've suspected for a while that the holofields upgrade will function a lot more like the titan holofields which would give Eldar vehicles some kind of save against hits.

I think everyone presuming that the Imperium is going to reign supreme in the new edition is jumping the gun a bit. We have very little, very out of context information that by itself doesn't add up to much to form a truly informed opinion on.
    Yeah, I mean, even with things the way they are now, Eldar, Tau, Dark Eldar and Necrons all have vehicles that are irritatingly resilient in some way or another.

Eldar have Holo/Energy Fields
    Tau have Disruption Pods and good AV
    Dark Eldar Have Flickerfields and Night Shields (these are the least resilient, but man are they -fast-)
    Necrons have Quantum Shielding and Living Metal

It's not like the vehicles any of these races possess are helpless by comparison to the Imperium...and Eldar/Tau are the only ones really in need of updates right now. I think DE/Necrons will survive the transition to 6th just fine more likely than not.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Was the humvee on a road or going cross-country? How far away was your target? How fast were you going? Did you manage to hit the target? I don't doubt that one can fire from a window/hatch; the question is: can it be done with any kind of effectiveness? Also, shooting from a seated position is a lot easier than when standing up, especially if the vehicle doesn't travel on a level surface - keep that in mind.
    Why are you trying to lecture a combat veteran on something he did in real life?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Problem there is with the Eldar....their Holofields...you have to take the lowest dice.

So unlike say the 4+ 5 + save of Tau or DE...Eldar will always take a damage result. And having to always pick the lowest dice of 2...particularly against multiples glances will add up those Hull Points pretty quick
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Problem there is with the Eldar....their Holofields...you have to take the lowest dice.

So unlike say the 4+ 5 + save of Tau or DE...Eldar will always take a damage result. And having to always pick the lowest dice of 2...particularly against multiples glances will add up those Hull Points pretty quick
    Which is why I'm pretty sure holofields will be different in any new book that comes out if these rumors about hull points are true.

Apologies. I did indeed not intend to offend in such a way.
    Apologies accepted.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Was the humvee on a road or going cross-country?
    You don't usually get to pick where you get ambushed so does the answer "all over the place" make sense?

How far away was your target?
    Anywhere from well within, to well outside the typical scaled-up engagement envelope for small arms in 40k.

How fast were you going?
    As fast as we could without flipping our humvee or being dangerous to other friendly vehicles and personnel around us. But scaled up I'd say typically much faster than the vehicles in 40k are travelling.

Did you manage to hit the target?
    On the range; yes, in the field . . . Well our "targets" there weren't plastic models, they had hopes and dreams and families, so I'm not going to comment on weather or not I was able to "hit" them for the purposes of this discussion.

I don't doubt that one can fire from a window/hatch; the question is: can it be done with any kind of effectiveness? Also, shooting from a seated position is a lot easier than when standing up, especially if the vehicle doesn't travel on a level surface - keep that in mind.
    Here is our friend FPS Russia illustrating that it is not particularly difficult to hit a target from a bouncing truck:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UU4zYC1GgI[/url]

@Bushido: fair enough, mate.

Though from a game balance standpoint, it might still not be a bad idea to remove the ability to move and shoot from the top hatch, even if it's not "realistic".

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Rose Widow View Post
    The only issue there is it creates the reverse problem, that the armies without open topped vehicles are at a disadvantage because they are slowed down even farther by needing to disembark to score where skimmers and open topped vehicles dont. This one is a tough one to answer though.

Balance is a pain in the tush
    Ya, for true.

Chapter-Master

BOLS favebook page is reporting that the Fantasy random terrain effects are ruloured to also be in 6th.

Not sure how i feel about that. Most the fantasy effects are msgic based, and i dont see how theyl carry across to 40k without being technology and that would seem to a bit wierd
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Probably based on cities of death narrative, example:

1-2 booby trapped ruin (dangerous terrain)
    3-4 unstable ruin (difficult terrain)
    5-6 Fortified ruin (+1 cover save)

Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast