BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Taken from the BoLs front page (and added to the first post)

Many of the general concepts from magic from Warhammer Fantasy are coming to Warhammer 40,000.
    -There will be "lore equivalents"
    -Psychic powers will be generated randomly by psykers (like fantasy)
    -Entirely new rules for constructing army lists (~Look at Fantasy for hints)
    -The FOC may be history
    FoC changes I could (maybe) get behind. Its have to see.

As for randomly generated, lore based physic powers....seriously. Fu*k you GW if that is true. So you're going to re-write the whole system which currently works fine AND have to re-write (and in a lot of cases, repoint) whole codexes to fit that in.
    Take GK for example. Their entries are written with power included in their statline. And now they have to be randomly generated? The whole book would need to be recosted!
    Eldar are shagged, cos if they don't get the powers they need (thats fortune FYI) they die horribly.
    Nids...might benefit...maybe
    Orks are already a little random in their powers, but that suits the unit and the army. And at least you can take all the powers, and it doesn't change what you do with the unit
    Marines + BA. Reworking. Librarians get to choose powers. So that needs changing
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Veteran-Sergeant

Not much sense in worrying about it until we see the new rules.

Something to keep in mind: Remember when the internet blew up with Dark Angels talk and now that has almost been completely forgotten in the wave of new CSM rumors? Next week we'll be back to Black Templars and Tau or maybe they'll throw Squats back into the mix. The fact of the matter is, until GW tells us or shows us, there is absolutely no reason to take any of this information as gospel truth.

This is a lot of hype and misdirection IMHO. GW can't or won't leak information so they dribble out tidbits of misinformation with a little bit of truth mixed in to keep everyone guessing and to keep everyone talking about GW and what they are up to. Its marketing and hype building and we get suckered right into it.

Its fun to speculate but worrying about it is silly because the book is done and probably already printed or being printed as we speak. We'll see it when we see it and deal with the changes the way we always do.

I'm a bit of an old school player and have been in and out of the hobby since rogue trader, and random powers selected at the start of a game also having a dispel and generating phycic powers phase is not new, also that army specific generated powers were included from 2nd edition AND were randomly selected. This does not mean specific powers given to specific units would be abolished just made as an ability there trained to do.

This being said I cannot see any of this happening as the hobby has always tried to stream line games not bog them down and going back to old ideas

just a thought.

Random psychic powers is seriously retarded, and percentage-based army creation simply does not work in 40k. I dearly hope that Bigred is misinformed, cause otherwise, 6th ed is going to suck on at least those two fronts.

Also, hardback cover books = me not buying every new book that comes out anymore. I'll just buy the ones that are required for the tournament and... "acquire" the rest through other, digitally-focused, means.

I really have to agree. WFB magic is great, and I could see a lot of the mechanics transferring well. But not random powers. That would be absolutely terrible, and it really doesn't make sense. 40k has always let you pick your powers, that is why you pay for them. In WFB powers are free but random.

I'm not sure % based selection would work, but I don't think FOC is the best way either so I'm keeping an open mind on that one.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Whenever I think of percentages in 40k, all that keeps flashing in my head is Coteaz backed up by 20 squads of 3-meltawarriors riding in psybolt razorbacks in a 2k game. I shudder and die a little inside everytime that happens.

That would be a problem with any SC/character that changes a units troop type, unless GW stipulates that for army composition the original restrictions apply. Which copying direct from 8th ed would be 3 units up to 3000pts.

Actually what do people think of this:

HQ: Up to 25%. No limit to choices
    Elite: Up to 35%. No more than 2 duplicate choices (same as current FOC)
    Troops: Minimum 25%. No more than 6 duplicate choices (same as FOC)
    Fast Attack: Up to 50%. No more than 3 duplicate choices
    Heavy Support: Up to 50%. No more than 3 duplicate choices.

Pure speculation but it sor of combines both systems.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I like it. Similar to how Warhammer works in terms of percentages but with restrictions on repeat choices. Warhmmer did try the FOC for a while, but I never really thought it worked particularly well, I prefer percentages
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Would still be broken, just a different kind of broken. Quite a few books have excellent HS choices for example. Being able to take say, 3 missile devastators squads and 3 autolas preds(and a rifledread, for good measure) in a BA army seems more than a little unbalanced to me.

Brother-Captain

I don't like the sound of random psychic powers (seriously, all the books right now have powers you choose/pay for which very much affects army lists...re-working that for no benefit and at the cost of injecting more randomness to the game sounds horrible).

Also I'm not sure how the %-based thing sounds, as I have about 6-7 full armies that are all build around options I can take from the FoC...

That being said, I'm not going to worry about any of this until 6th actually drops. I have a reasonable amount of confidence in GW as far as them 'ruining' the game is concerned - I know they don't want to harm their business model as much as I don't want my armies to get screwed.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast