BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

True but most armies have good Heavy Support Choices. Dark Eldar could take 3 ravagers and 3 void ravens/razorwings at 1500pts for example. Eldar could take three fire prisms and three falcons (not at 1500p though, stupid overcosted old codex) and I'm sure most other armies have a couple of viable HS choices. Peraps not Tyranids or Tau but Tau at least will be getting a new book soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Would still be broken, just a different kind of broken. Quite a few books have excellent HS choices for example. Being able to take say, 3 missile devastators squads and 3 autolas preds(and a rifledread, for good measure) in a BA army seems more than a little unbalanced to me.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Also, any radical changes would almost certainly be accompanied by a Ravening Hordes style 'get you by' book until all codexes are brought UTD.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    Also I'm not sure how the %-based thing sounds, as I have about 6-7 full armies that are all build around options I can take from the FoC...
    That's exactly the point from GW's perspective; it's smart to encourage customers to buy more units for their existing armies without having to release a codex. If you can drive sales of existing model lines with a rulebook change, it's like free revenue.

I mean, fundamentally, there's no big difference between FOC and a % system; players will exploit either one. The difference is that those exploits will be shifted to different models and therefore drive sales.

I mean, you can pretty much predict what will be awesome in a new codex based on what GW wants to sell; keep an eye on Chaos Possessed and the Land Speeder Storm. Both kits didn't perform as well as GW hoped (from what I hear) so it's a good bet that both will get a big boost with the next release of their respective codecies.

It's good to look at these rumors while asking yourself whether or not the changes will drive model sales.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by juliusb View Post
    It's good to look at these rumors while asking yourself whether or not the changes will drive model sales.
    Yes and no...I mean, I see where you're coming from with that, and to an extent I agree.

But it's not that simple, especially if you look at the last couple books, for example.

None of the existing Necron units got worse, really. People still don't like Flayed Ones, but that's not new, and the Monolith is something people decry as being nerfed, but it seems more like a case of its rules not really -doing- anything for the Necron army any more. The new/improved choices elsewhere help the army accomplish its goals better than the old crutch did.

And with GK, well...power armour and terminator armour dudemans with psycannons or halberds are still great. Yeah, GK players might want some options other than halberds on a lot of their units now, but the old standby didn't really change when they got a codex update.

Would definitely love to see the Land Speeder Storm get some attention, though - maybe just make it a dedicated transport, really. As it exists it's already a pretty fun model and it doesn't need a whole lot of change (though I have no idea how you could make it competitive, since 5-man scout squads...well, aren't).
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Imperial Guard Heavy Supports (50% from 3k list)

1500 / 3000
    2x 3 Hydra
    1x 2x Hydra (or Griffon for indirect fire)
    2x 3 Leman Russ BT

Thats alot of S7 TL shots, as well as S8 AP3 Ordnance Large Blasts

Also, i do like the idea of FoC persentages.

Finally you could take 2-3 baneblades or 9 upgraded leman russes on the field

Only thing that would bring the system crashing down would be the fumbled numbers on the maximum similar choices available.

Different codexes rely on different slots

20% from 3k is 600

GK can get either:
    - 3x Grandmasters with some upgrades
    - 6x Brotherhood champions (if not limited to 2-3 similar choices), giving practically every squad re-rolls to hit on charge + threatening any single IC or MC that would dare to come into CC with them.
    - Crowe + Coteaz + still 350pts to use on really important HQ units
    IG can get:
    - 4x company command squad with 4x meltagun and chimera (BS4)

... And the list goes on

Chapter-Master

I can see heavy being 35% not 50%.

Also you can only spend a certain % on transports :P

New stuff! From Faeit 212

Via Grant
    Hey mates,
    All the stuff in this link is 100% the real deal. ( Ive posted it below)

As far as 6th ed...
    I will also add that vehicles use "hull points" in 6th. If a vehicle has 3 hull points it will die after 3 shaken results, but it can still explode after 1 shot as normal.

All cc weapons have AP values in 6th similar to what was in the fake 6th ed rule book leak.
    There are going to be no different levels of Eternal Warrior either.

Cheers,
    Grant
    The ability to "shake" a tank to death is going to kill vehicles. Eldar holofields suddenly become ridiculously crap, and just delay the result. (im detecting a theme in the rumours towards making Eldar terrible

Frankly this sounds pretty rubbish.

A lot of the "official" responses to the leaked book were that it was "too complex". But a lot of the new rumours are getting crazy complex
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Not to mention that if hand weapons start getting AP then 5-6+ saves will be increasingly useless, especially 6+. I too am getting rather worried about these rumours. I will reserve judgement until we actuall have the rules and whatnot but if the changs nerf Eldar/DE as much as it seems to be indicating there won't be much point me playing.
    Last edited by eldargal; 04-29-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Hmmm GW does seem to be screwing up what should have been a very simple thing.

All 6th had to do was tidy up the rules, sort cover out a little bit and one or 2 lttle things. Instead they're screwing it hard. The "leaked" version was brilliant, everything I wanted. All these rumours....seem to be making me think I don't want 6th.

The CC AP thing...i'd imagine its like Fists (no CC weapon) are AP-. CCW and pistols are AP6 (unless its like an AP2 melta/blast pistol). Some special things are even lower. But things like Orks...a 6+ save....whats the point. 99% of guns ignore it, CCW would now ignore it....
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    True but most armies have good Heavy Support Choices. Dark Eldar could take 3 ravagers and 3 void ravens/razorwings at 1500pts for example. Eldar could take three fire prisms and three falcons (not at 1500p though, stupid overcosted old codex) and I'm sure most other armies have a couple of viable HS choices. Peraps not Tyranids or Tau but Tau at least will be getting a new book soon.
    And therein lies the problem: good books just get better, bad books not only fail to benefit, but have to fight against tougher lists on top of that.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Not to mention that if hand weapons start getting AP then 5-6+ saves will be increasingly useless, especially 6+. I too am getting rather worried about these rumours. I will reserve judgement until we actuall have the rules and whatnot but if the changs nerf Eldar/DE as much as it seems to be indicating there won't be much point me playing.
    It's the all or nothing system that screws the whole thing up. I like it better in Fantasy where the saves gets worse the higher strength you have. So translated into 40k imagine if AP 5 made all armor saves -2, making power armor 5+. All of a sudden AP 6 would be actually better than AP -. AP 4 would be real good instead of bleh against PA.

Bet that would improve the game a lot.

Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast