BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Sorry if this has been asked already, but their is something I haven't seen yet ask/mentioned.

Is it yet known if their has been any changes to how Assaulting Vheclies works?

But realy what I want to know is.... If I assault a transport, do I get to consolidate into the unit inside like in the Pancake Edition?
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Veteran-Sergeant

Warlord Traits:

Command:
    friendly units in 12 get to use your LD
    enemy units in 12 use the lowest LD in their squad.
    all friendly units in 12 get move through cover.
    all friendly units in 12 may reroll running.
    all friendly units in 12 re roll 1s to hit when shooting at an enemy within 3 of an objective.
    all friendly units in 12 add 1 to charge distance.

Personal:
    warlord and his unit get counter attack if in own deployment zone.
    warlord and his unit get furious charge if in enemy deployment zone.
    warlord and any unit he joins in deployment get outflank.
    get 1 VP for each character killed by you warlord.
    your warlord and his unit get FnP if within 3 of an objective.
    your warlord is a scoring unit.

Strategic:
    all your units get move though cover for ruins and stealth in ruins.
    you amy have night fighting on the first turn.
    your outflanking units get acute senses.
    while he is alive you may reroll reserve rolls.
    while he is alive your opponent get -1 on reserve rolls.
    after both sides have deployed but before scouts you may redeploy 1 unit 3D6 inches, or 3 units D6 inches, may not leave deployment zone.

http://.skared.podbean.com Twitter: @Skari2 Youtube Channel: Skared Cast

And you have to roll for these, dont you? I dont understand why their designers think it's fun to roll a d6 before every game that can give you a completely irrelevant trait based on your army build, instead of just giving you a balanced list to choose from during army building. I thought this is exactly why they removed the randomness from the Posessed marines...cause randomness in army building is lame.

Warlord traits isn't randomness in army building, it is a random buff generated before deployment.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

They would be a bit too good if you could pick freely. They don't have a huge effect on army selection but it's true you might get something useless.

Fly Lord

Those Strategic ones look overall much more powerful than the other 2 families.

If the player gets to pick the family and roll a d6, I'd pick strategic every time.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Battle-Brother

I think it depends on the type of warlord you run. For an IG force, where the warlord's shtick is amplifying folks as it is, sure, you'd want Strategic. But for a Codex force where the Captain/Libby/Chappy is tooled up for maximum carnage, depending on the army-specific traits already in-place and the abilities the HQ in question can grant his accompanying retinue, I'm not so sure Personal and Command aren't just as good, although a bit less predictable--both for you, and your opponent. A flexible list with the warlord joining a unit at the last second to take advantage of the buff would present some pretty diverse threat vectors pre-game.

In much the same way that everyone's back-and-forth on whether the new vehicle rules are a blessing or bane to the autocannon (whether it's lost its one-shot-outside-chance lethality or gained hull-point-popping badness), I think we may have to wait til we see things on the tabletop, and even then, it might provide a level of uncertainty that is actually--dare I say it--a type of unpredictability that will actually be fun? I mean, if you're playing Big Guns Never Tire, and your opponent is contesting the game-winner objective, are you going to count on the pen shot from the meltagun, or the twin-linked AC turret on your Exterminator popping enough hull points to wreck the vehicle?

Sure, there's a level of uncertainty. But this is war. That stuff's supposed to be a little uncertain. War is hell, right?

I guess it depends if you like craps or poker. Randomness that comes from an opponents choices make a game a constant back and forth and second guessing, trying to anticipate their move and react. Random chance just means you hedge your bets and hope for the best...ie Boring.

If they want randomness, then keep it on the battlefield. Random terrain features is fine...i can deal with that. I actually thought buying fortifications was a good move away from that.

And whether it happens at the beginning of the game or during army creation is irrelevant, that wasnt my point. What is, is that it's adding a trait to your army that could either be a huge boon or completely irrelevant depending on your force, and its determined by a random dice throw. I don't see the fun in that. Balance it and let me pick something that suits my playstyle. This one rule wont break the system, but all the random chance crap they're insisting on throwing into the system is diluting the players strategic choice. It's poor deign.

Veteran-Sergeant

I agree with Big Red, those strategic ones jumped out at me bigtime.

http://.skared.podbean.com Twitter: @Skari2 Youtube Channel: Skared Cast

Chapter-Master

The strategis ones are powerful, but things like Acute Senses for Outflanking is pretty useless as most people don't outflank, and by the time resevres turn up its probably not night fighting anymore (but 3+ cover in ruins can't be sneezed at)

But some of the command are really good. Reroll 1's on shooting? Great for a deep field objective holder. Ld schenanigans? Great if your playing Guard to boost them, great if you're against gaurd and make them take everything on the lowest (how would that work against Orks and mob rule?)

Some of the personal are quite good as well. Outflanking a whole unit? HQ choices holding an Objective? Furious charge and Counter attack?

Sure strategic offer the most obvious up front benefits, but don't count the other 2 out in more in depth strategies. Only downside is you have to roll for it, so its hard to build a strategy on a random roll
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast