BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The actual Bell of Lost Souls mention in the rulebook.

On page 163 there is a small green box of text that talks about the Bell of Lost Souls.

Is this GWs way of saying 'hello BoLS!' or is that an already existing peice of fluff. If it is, I have never heard of it and I've been playing 40k and reading 40k books for 5+ years now.

Anybody know?

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

uhmmm the "bell of lost souls" has been in the Fluff for AGES, it tolled a thousand times to herald the loss of the firehawks chapter and peals for the death of the imperiums greatest hero's as such it is constantly tolling.

Yeah it's an already exsisting piece of fluff . Whenever a ship is lost to the warp they ring the bell for evey soul lost, a notable occasion is the death of the Fire Hawk chapter, in which the bell rings 1000 times (I know that's the jist of it at the very least.)
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

Adeptus Custodes

It appears in the new grey knights novel too.
    More Necromunda please.

Chapter-Master

And it isn't like it's even a modern concept. It's been common practice to ring church bells when a ship was lost at sea, rung for every hand that went down with the ship, for God knows how long.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Priests of Mars also mentions it, with the translation of the Binaric engraving saying wheit is tolled.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Default 2nd Edition

The Bell of Lost Souls is described on p49 of the Codex Imperialis, which is the background book that came with the 2nd Edition rulebook. There are some sources online that say there is a reference in White Dwarf 99(UK), I don't have a copy of that to confirm, but that would be the earliest reference, if it is correct (1988).

Librarian

What if this amazing forum got it's name from the Bell?

Default ha!

what's really interesting is that there is a mention of the 'sea of lost souls' in the fluff of that SW special character (the one that zaps the guy who kills him into a stasis field).

...and that character's rules seem eerily like the rules for death company tycho in the bols army of death list

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by magickbk View Post
    The Bell of Lost Souls is described on p49 of the Codex Imperialis, which is the background book that came with the 2nd Edition rulebook.
    That's where I remember it from...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast