BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

hold on, by the laws of conservation of momentum its likely that if those satellites were to explode they will only work as area denial for shot term..... admittedly that sound like a VERY effective way of destroying a super powers communication network very quickly.
    Last edited by daboarder; 05-01-2012 at 03:44 AM.

Chapter-Master

Enough debris should achieve a stable orbit to deny a large area of space, or are you suggesting satellites don't obey Newtonian physics?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

no merely suggesting that given the velocity of any material likely survive such an explosion that its most probable that said peices are going to suffer some pretty extreme orbital decay

Chapter-Master

I'd suggest they're more likely to reach escape velocity than decay, as their starting point is already at an orbital velocity.

Chapter-Master

oh of course but I was thinking of that more as....negative decay

Chapter-Master

True on both points.

But one thing is certain...space is pretty full of crap these days.

Heres a picture of the damage that paint fleck did the the windscreen of the space shuttle. Stuff in orbit, tends to do it at speeds around 17,500 miles an hour

IN 2008 china "shot down" a "defective weather satellite" over their northern provinces. This released 150,00 pieces of debris in NASA's "danger" size (and conveniently made it impossible for any satellite to establish permanant geosychronosis oribit over their northern provinces)
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

They must all have cable there...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Yeah I will point out that Cuba has the best health care sytem in the world....

And as a side point. This week china launched 2 satellites. One is a communicatins satellite, encrypted to government transmissions only (several million of their peoples money so their governments cell phones get better reception)

The 2nd is their 5th DoS satellite. For those of you who don't know DoS stands for Denial of Space. It serves no function at all, but to just be there. It blocks over nations satellites and forces expensive rerouting. Additionally the core of the satellite is packed with hundred of steel balls and high explosives. If the chinese governemt so decide they can be detonated, effectivly "denying" a huge area of space to any other space vehicle. If all 5 sateliites blew there would be very little space left up there for anything (space debris is insanely dangerous - one of the space shuttles had a collosion with a fleck of paint, no bigger than a half a fingernail, and that imbedded itself 2 inches into the windscreen of the shuttle)

The chinese government sees abnsolutly nothing wrong with the "if i can't have it, neither can you" mentality. So stop trying to defend them
    What a load of utter baseless bollucks. Next time you want to hijack a thread to spread your tinfoil hat hate theories, at least get the bloody facts right. The two Chinese satilletes are for their Compus GPS network.

Do you know what that means? They are in geostationary orbit, and unlike low-earth orbit, there isn't anywhere near as much space junk that far out, because there isn't anywhere near as many satilletes that far out, and there is a lot more space. Even if the 'evil Chinese' did have these imaginary DoS satilletes, they would not be putting them all the way up in geostationary orbit.

Hell, why would the Chinese even bother with such crude and effectively useless weapons (they are useless because using them woe hurt China as much as any target and makes no sense unless you are racist enough to believe the Chinese are only interested in Fing up things for everyone else instead of rationally pursuing their own best interests)? If they want to target a satillete or group of satilletes, it would be far more effective for them to use their existing ASAT missiles, or nano satilletes or even just hack the satillete or it's control station (the Americans suspect it was the Chinese that thoroughly compromised NASA's network) etc.

Now, are we done with this stupid baseless scaremongering?

Brother-Captain

China's stance on IP issues may suck for companies but it's great for internet voyeurs. I give you Chinese pikachu!
    [url]http://kotaku.com/5906543/have-a-good-time-with-pikachusumyeah[/url]
    [url]http://kotaku.com/311665/pikachus-lady-business-exposed[/url]

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by TheBitzBarn View Post
    We do not use Prison Labor for Private enterprise like China at all DUDE. and the Communist Party will collapse on itself in 20 years and our deficit is nothing once we bounce the Moron in the White House. Health Care is best n the world
    Wow.....
    At least you didn't use all caps.
    Any country where a person will become financially bankrupt due to healthcare is morally bankrupt. It is more profitable to treat symptoms than cure disease. There are reasons why some things should be run by the state rather than private interest. I'll leave healthcare at that.

The US houses 25% of the prison population of the world, housing more of its population as a percentage in prison than any other country on the planet; more people are incarcerated in the USA than incarcerated in China or Russia. With the privatization of US prisons 100% of able bodied prisoners can be required to work for the minimum wage of 23 cents an hour, with no right to collectively bargain, in labor camps ranging from manning call centers, textiles mills, electronics manufacture, furniture manufacture, to warehousing and distribution services, using prison labor with a MAXIMUM wage of $1.15 an hour. I'm sure there are some unemployed and underemployed folks who would like to know why their jobs are no longer in existence or why their wages are so depressed when their employer chose the cheaper alternative in prison labor. Here is [URL="http://www.unicor.gov/"]UNICOR's website[/URL] if you are wanting to learn more about prison labor, UNICOR's "escape proof gurantee", and how to order products or services through them. It is right out of an Orwellian/Dickensian gilded age dystopia. If you'd prefer a more broken down version of the facts try [URL="http://www.prisonpolicy.org/prisonindex/prisonlabor.html"]this site[/URL]. The wheels on the prison labor bus really started rolling in the mid-80s with the war on drugs driving up the prison population.

I would have hoped that the discussion could have remained civil and people could have shown a little more empathy, understanding of cultural differences, and would at a minimum post arguments in a reasonable well articulated manner pertaining specifically to the topic at hand. I guess we just can't have nice things on the internet.

Gamesworkshop doesn't treat its employees in the retail arm in the US all that well...quite the opposite actually. There is a reason employee turnover is so ridiculously high in the GW US retail arm.

I'm done with this thread. I don't have the luxury to be this guy->
    Last edited by fuzzyguy; 05-01-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Grammar!

Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast