BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    And you think $22,500 per song for someone living off a grad student stipend is even remotely reasonable? You punish someone for their crimes, not for everyone's.
    Cruel and unusual.

Chapter-Master

Exactly. You punish the individual for their crimes, and their crimes only, and the punishment must fit the crime. Slapping on an absurd fine and trying to make an example of the individual violates both moral requirements. That's not justice.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

There is only justice for those that can afford to buy justice....

certainly feels like it here anyway.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    There is only justice for those that can afford to buy justice....

certainly feels like it here anyway.
    Ironically, our judicial system is still one of the best in the world.

Kinda sad when you think about it.

Chapter-Master

our? With a name like chuck I'm assuming you're a yank.
    Your "justice system" over relies on "plea bargaining", so even if you are actually innocent it's often better for you to plead "guilty" to a lesser charge, because of the draconian sentence you risk on the off chance of being found guilty of the original charge...
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 05-23-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Exactly. You punish the individual for their crimes, and their crimes only, and the punishment must fit the crime. Slapping on an absurd fine and trying to make an example of the individual violates both moral requirements. That's not justice.
    Completely legal in the UK, people may rant and rave about the Human Rights Act but it does a lot of good although judicial interpretation has made it far too wide.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    Completely legal in the UK, people may rant and rave about the Human Rights Act but it does a lot of good although judicial interpretation has made it far too wide.
    The problem I have with it is a criminal can damage/steal any of my stuff and if I take physical action to stop it I'm infringing his human right to life... what about my right to not have a dickhead damage/steal my stuff? If said individual didn't damage/steal stuff I wouldn't have punched/stabbed/shot with crossbow said dickhead...

Librarian

R v Palmer allows for self defence, and recent judicial rulings have allowed for relaxation on what is reasonable.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck777 View Post
    Ironically, our judicial system is still one of the best in the world.

Kinda sad when you think about it.
    It actually works pretty well most of the time. There is too much freedom for frivolous lawsuits, but really the only issue I have is that the purpose of the court is to pit prosecution against defense, rather than focus exclusively on finding out what actually happened. The very idea that it's the prosecution's job to put someone in jail, guilty or not, or vice versa, is disgusting. Similarly, the idea that evidence can be barred from court for any reason whatsoever is idiotic.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

A funny story in law class

Some robber was trying to break into a house, he climbs the roof of said house in the attempt and the roof caves in (there was a weak spot apparently that had not been patched up), anyway he crashes down injures his leg and sues the home owner (for negligence!)....and wins.

Even though he was up there admittedly looking to break in so he could rob said home-owner.

Makes one want to take a a gatling gun and shoot up everyone involved in the juidicial process doesnt it?
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts
    2. Chaos Space Marines - 7,100 pts

Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast