BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Need some opinions/experiences regarding Grey Knights Finecast

Hey all,

I don't want this to turn into a Finecast love/hate discussion. I've received some absolutely brilliant Finecast and some absolutely horrible Finecast but there's no need to beat that dead horse again. I'm just looking for some input from the community on a couple of Grey Knights models I'm shopping for at the moment.

I need to buy Castellan Crowe and Brother Captain Stern for my army/collection. I can find the Finecast versions anywhere and have managed to track down both models in the metal versions(at well over twice the cost). Since the discontinued metal versions are so expensive I thought I would get some feedback on other people's experience with the Finecast versions of these models. I am willing to roll the dice on the Finecast but I'm getting pretty tired of calling GW customer service and waiting for replacement models that may or may not be better than the one I already purchased.

Anyway, for those who have, or know someone who has purchased the Crowe and Stern Finecast models, are they generally good or bad? As we know, some models just don't do well in the Finecast conversion and others are fantastic so I'm wondering if these are some of the better Finecast or some of the more problematic ones.

Thanks!

the finecast ones in my local from the first batch of finecast we got look pretty darn good. through the blister pack, unopened of coarse. most of the first batch fine cast we got were pretty good, i had a good look. i didnt/dont quite get the finecast hate myself. sure tiny bubbles, sure price... but ive been 'Hammerin since before the lead to tin(whitemetal) conversion, when they were less then half the cost. just my 2c. from oz.

Chapter-Master

I got Crowe at the finecast release and didn't have a single problem with him. I've not really heard of many people having too many problems with either of those models. I'm sure someone will counter that point though
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

I hate Finecast, but the (very few) GK finecasts I've seen at the local shop haven't been bad at all (the side I could see at least).

Of course you *could* convert from plastics, but that'd be a bit of work. I'd just be prepared to fix any wonky bits and/or saw them off and replace with plastics for your own unique model.

I have purchased and painted the Crowe model,and one issue I have is that his sword continues to have a odd curve to it that bothers me. Nothing I do remedys it. Aside from that its a very nice model.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoncbaker View Post
    I have purchased and painted the Crowe model,and one issue I have is that his sword continues to have a odd curve to it that bothers me. Nothing I do remedys it. Aside from that its a very nice model.
    hot water?

I have a lot of experience with Forge world resin and a little with the new fine cast range,so the use of hot water and even a blow dryer are my go to, but something about that sword just doesn't work. Maybe it's the daemon inside it

Have you tried plunging it it into very cold water right after heating it and bending it into the position you want? It's supposed to help the resin set to its new position and it has worked with my Finecast.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Yeah i have only seen one bad Crowe at both of my GW's and that was a big bubble on the arm fixable but still a PITA. i tend not to worry about chunky models as for me the major FC gripe is the bendy swords and staves that no amount of tempering will fix

i would rather have the FC than the metals simply for the crisper daetails on the script work and the likes

Veteran-Sergeant

Thanks so much for the replies. The bendy sword was a bit of a concern for me but I'm sure I can replace the blade with a plastic one from the GK or GK Terminator box set if it turns out to be unfixable. I have a Haemonculus in FC that always, always leans to the left and I've tried everything to get him to fly straight instead of drunk including slicing the base and adding a wedge of sprue to no effect. Sometimes, the material just cures strangely and no amount of heat/cold cycles will correct it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast