BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Space Wolf list finals...hopefully

Well, I pretty much have my whole Space Wolf army bought model wise and now it's on to see if the play testing I have been doing lately is worth the purchases. A lot of my play testing have been around 1000-1500 points but with the most expensive stuff for last here is what I have for my 2000 pt. list:

Space Wolves
    HQ
    Rune Priest
    100 pts.

Wolf Priest
    100 pts.

Elites
    Wolf Guard Pack (7)
    Wolf Guard: Power Fist/Combi-melta (Grey Hunters Pack 1)
    Wolf Guard: Power Fist/Combi-melta (Grey Hunters Pack 2)
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Pair of Wolf Claws
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Frost Blade and Storm Shield
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Chain fist and Storm Bolter
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Wolf Claws and Combi-Melta
    (Wolf Guard in Terminator Armor will be in the Land Raider with the Wolf Priest)
    331 pts.

Dreadnought
    Replace Storm Bolter with Heavy Flamer/Replace Assault Cannon with Plasma Cannon
    125 pts.

Troop
    Grey Hunters Pack (9)
    Grey Hunter: Meltagun
    Grey Hunter: Wolf Standard
    Grey Hunter: Mark of the Wulfen
    165 pts.
    {Rhino}
    35 pts.
    200 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (9)
    165 pts.
    {Rhino}
    35 pts.
    200 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (5)
    Grey Hunter: Plasma Gun
    85 pts.
    {Razorback}
    Twin-linked Lascannon
    75 pts.
    160 pts.

Fast Attack
    Land Speeder Tornado
    Multi-Melta/Heavy Flamer
    70 pts.

Thunderwolf Cavalry (3)
    Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm Shield
    Thunderwolf Cavalry: Powerfist
    205 pts.

Heavy Support
    Long Fangs Pack (6)
    Squad Leader
    Long Fang: Heavy Bolter
    Long Fang: Missile Launcher
    Long Fang: Lascannon
    165 pts.

Land Raider Redeemer
    Multi-Melta
    250 pts.

Total 1901 pts.

Now, I know it's a 99 pts. shy, and that is what I have to make up, be it upgrades or additional units completely. But as it stands I want to get people's gauge on this list. It is meant to be a balanced, all comers list. I had previously done away with the Rune Priest but now I feel I should bring him back in the loop (He will be rolling in the Razorback as of now, possibly with the Terminator's and Wolf Priest)

One thing to do with the points is to cut 15 points off the current list and throw in a Vindicator. I love those cannons from my Imperial Guard days and I feel it would be a nice addition to the list for rolling around with the Rhino's, and possibly a deterrent from the Land Raider.

Another option is to beef up the Thunderwolves and/or throwing in another separate Land Speeder. Worse case I could just kit units out with the 99 pts. left. I'm sure the Wolf Priest, Rune Priest, and Grey Hunters could do with some more gifts.

Also, I posted elsewhere on this site as well in regards to my Terminator squads, but I'll post here that I am having some trouble getting the best combo out of the five.

What do you all think?

Battle-Brother

So I made a couple changes; mainly to the Wolf Guard and added another Thunder Wolf. Haven't been able to play test the list yet but looking for some advice. One thing I am sadly considering is dropping the Wolf Guard and Redeemer all together...which I would hate to do. But as it stands the list feels good. I still have some points to spare though, and not sure where to put the 30 pts. I'm thinking a Wolf Tooth Necklace to the Rune Priest in case I come up to something to use with his Force Weapon, but other than that nothing else

HQ
    Rune Priest
    100 pts.

Wolf Priest
    100 pts.

Elites
    Wolf Guard Pack (7)
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Storm Shield
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Chain fist
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Combi-Melta
    245 pts.

Dreadnought
    Replace Storm Bolter with Heavy Flamer/Replace Assault Cannon with Plasma Cannon
    125 pts.

Troop
    Grey Hunters Pack (9)
    165 pts.
    {Rhino}
    35 pts.
    200 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (9)
    165 pts.
    {Rhino}
    35 pts.
    200 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (5)
    Grey Hunter: Plasma Gun
    85 pts.
    {Razorback}
    Twin-linked Lascannon
    75 pts.
    160 pts.

Fast Attack
    Land Speeder Tornado
    Multi-Melta/Heavy Flamer
    70 pts.

Thunderwolf Cavalry (4)
    255 pts.

Heavy Support
    Long Fangs Pack (6)
    Squad Leader
    165 pts.

Land Raider Redeemer
    Multi-Melta
    250 pts.

Total 1971 pts.

Veteran-Sergeant

Give your Rune priest a Chooser of the slain (good combo with living lightning) and put him in a rhino, that way he is protected and can still shoot stuff.

See if you can fit a terminator in there with a cyclone missile launcher and ad him to the long fangs (2x las 4x misslie ^^). Maybe swap 2 lascannons for 2 missile launchers, saves you a few points.

Extra armour for your rhino's and dreadnought is a MUST! you dont want to lose movement with your grey hunters and your dread, you can always move (and maybe kill something in close combat).

Im more a fan of power weapons then mark of the wulfen but it can work. Wolf standard is a good choise, it never let me down .

Thunderwolf cal. cool unit, love them, but somehow they never last. They are just an to easy target.

you made some expenisve choises, but it may work.

What also a nice combo is, is take ragnar and put him in a rhino with grey hunters. His counter charge gives you +1 ini and str. (one time only and yes even in the counter charge! Check the FaQ), everyone forgets this so make use of it . In a Land Raider is a obvious choise but very expensive!

You cant go wrong with a rune priest. Living lightning is a great psychic power, I use it to stun transports if there is something mean and nasty in it that i dont want getting in my way, (Im looking at you Ogryns) and Rune priests can be tooled with whatever psychic powers you want at no cost besides base, so it makes hime extremely tactically flexible. Just my 2 cents anyway

Honestly, I've been playing Space Wolves since before the new book came out and tbh I have never found a good use for a whole unit of Wolf Guard Terminators. Considering that a storm shield costs 15pts you're paying 48pts for just a power weapon and storm shield and 63pts for the full monty.

I find that spamming MEQ bodies is a far better way to go. I like to run 3 to 4 9-man squads of Grey Hunters with a Wolf Guard. Long story short, your hammer units have one of two pitfalls they either a) Don't stack up to other army's hammer units (thundershields, DCA, Paladins, etc) or b) they're MONSTROUSLY expensive to the point of debilitating the rest of your army (thunderlords/thundercav, TH/SS termies, Ragnar hammers).

I find going hammerless allows you to pack in more Grey Hunters and more las/plas which is really the best way to run wolves.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

Over the past couple weeks I have played some battles and done a bit of re-working. The Thunderwolves have gotten an additional Thunderwolf. He is standard load out but the three were just not cutting it with too few attacks being thrown out once they started to get hurt and not enough wounds to spread around. I decided to add one more into the group before dropping them all together and it has made a HUGE difference. Out of 4 games only one of them did they get down to two by the end of the game (and even in that game they went to the enemy's deployment back to mine killing everything from Terminators, tanks, to squads)

The other change is sort of recent. In the last game I played I put the Terminators in the Drop Pod and dropped the Wolf Priest all together. The Rune Priest kicked a Grey Hunter out of a Rhino and rode with them. Didn't perform substantially better but I felt I had more freedom with the terminators.

Here is my list as it stands right now:

Space Wolves
    HQ
    Rune Priest (With Wolf Guard Terminators)
    100 pts.

Wolf Priest
    100 pts.

Elites
    Wolf Guard Pack (6)
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Storm Shield
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Chain fist and Combi-Melta
    283 pts.

Dreadnought
    {Drop Pod}
    160 pts.

Troop
    Grey Hunters Pack (9)
    165 pts.
    {Rhino}
    35 pts.
    200 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (9)
    165 pts.
    {Rhino}
    35 pts.
    200 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (7)
    Grey Hunter: Flamer
    140 pts.

Fast Attack
    Land Speeder Tornado
    Multi-Melta/Heavy Flamer
    70 pts.

Thunderwolf Cavalry (4)
    255 pts.

Heavy Support
    Long Fangs Pack (6)
    Squad Leader
    {Razorback}
    Twin-linked Lascannon
    75 pts.
    240 pts.

Land Raider Redeemer
    Multi-Melta
    250 pts.

Total 1998 pts.

I gave the Razorback to the Long Fangs out of 'Dedication...' purposes. The Grey Hunters that use to be using the Razorback got beefed up and given a flamer and will ride in the Redeemer with the Wolf Priest. The squad won't be maximizing the seats in there but it will give me an idea if the keeping the Land Raider in the list will work with a full contingent of Grey Hunters inside.

The Rune Priest will be hitching a ride with the Terminators. I feel this will be a good option so that he is right there in the midst with the Terminators able to sprout out some psychic goodies. Riding him around in any transport has found it hard to utilize him, even with the back hatch on a rhino.

Which brings me to my second idea: Dropping the Land Raider if it proves ineffective for a maxed out Grey Hunter squad and a Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour with either a Cyclone or Assault Cannon and the Rune Priest to just march straight up the middle....or a flank. They would be open but utilizing cover and the Rune Priest's psychic abilities should keep them good. With the spare points I have been thinking a Vindicator and/or another Land Speeder.

Those my ideas, what are your two cents?

Long fangs with Missile that can split fire is lethal. I would drop the las in exchange for all missiles. Also by upgrading the rhinos to razors you get a whole new arsenal for tank busting which you will need against any good tourney list. I also put Ss on all of my wolves. 3++ is nothing to laugh at. I've seen guard use a whole turn of shooting to get one wound out of the unit. Interesting list though.

Take the long fangs out of the transport. You're going to want all of t hem shooting turn 1.