BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Thumbs down 6th ed rumours, your reqction and GW response

Ok ground rules;

-This is not a place to discussthe rumours. Those are elsewhere.

Also an in b4 "theyre only rumours" and "dont take them out of context". I know both of those. assume in thus thread they are real, and the rest of the rule book sucks as much (thats my opinion is yours different?)

As previously stated my thoughts are they suck a lot. I think all my armies are really gonna suffer until they get a massive FAQ or a new book (except wyches with haywire grenades. They suddenly become awesome)

The comments on other threads, the blogroll and their comments, and that of the BOLS front page suggest a widespread dislike of the rumours (and ive not even gone close to the swamplands of Warseer and Dakka). For some its the fluff, for others the rules. But othrr than one or two posts saying dont overreact (good advice) there are vey few good comments about them.

Do GW follow any thing online? We know Jes has posted on Warseer before but do they see the leaks and the responses and guage a reaction off them?

And if 6th falls because its widely disliked what would GW do? Power through it and accept a massive loss in fanbase in 40k and a rise in competitors for 5 years. Or hurry another new edition within 1 to 2 years
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

They could use rumors and leaks to guide their mechanics decisions but, at this point, it wouldn't do them much good since the books are most likely going to the printer right now, if they are not there already.

We cannot judge these rumors in a vacuum. For all we know, 6th edition is a MAJOR re-write of the game and any basis from which we could objectively judge the rumors simply does not exist. Regardless, expect every army to have a very large FAQ update that re-balances codecies for the new edition.

I'd also argue that the silent majority will take any and all changes in stride and continue gaming regardless of what the fanbois and internet-based armchair quarterbacks have to say.

GW would not release a new edition any sooner than 4 years after 6th edition drops. The problem is that there is no guarentee that any one who left 40k would come back if they changed editions quickly but they definitely would be alienating those players that did stick around by requiring (read forcing) them to purchase two 70+ dollar books in less than 2 years. For good or bad, the edition will be what it will be.

I tell you one thing if someone would actualy post full rules for a codex or any of the WFB/W40k editions on any of the english boards , then the post would be gone ultra fast.

Rules:
    Many i like, yet more i dislike..
    Basically, more we get closer to the leaked 6th ed playtesting rules - the better (with some tweaks to it that is). More we get to the contradicting rules we have been hearing lately - the worse it gets.

Fluff:
    I like the advancement in the story. Even though its been good 5 years or so, it kinda feels the same than watching 1st part of a movie trilogy 5 years in a row waiting for the next part (and advancement in the story).

Fluff rumors that i've read in no particular order:
    - Emperor lets go of his mortally wounded body: This is probably the best advancement they could choose. Emperor will still be around (and able to manifest in some body through warp - similar what the daemons do - at some point in the future). Emperor will be fighting invisible war in the warp, and all kinds of saints / emperors champions / visions granted by the Emperor will be more "believable" since its official that He is back in the game.

This is way better than the option for Emperor to just wake up on the Throne and decide "its payback time", after mourning for the loss of his loyal sons.

Also, Emperor being 'in the empyrean', it is possible to bring back Russ "For the wolftime", and Khan from the webways (time in those progress differently, and there are still daemon primarchs alive to justify the balance of the incoming of loyal primarchs). Not the fact that it should be so, but it broadens up the possibilities instead of hitting the dead end.

- Chaos is pressing on the advance:
    About time. The most hard boiled astartes there are, backed up by numerous gods, have been laying low for a ridiculously long time (although, again, time is different in the warp - but still...).

- Tau are the key to save realspace from the demonic / chaos invasion:
    Not sure about this. Maybe a bit too much "innocent child saves the day"- type of a story arc in my taste. But i may well grow accustomed to it. And, there could have been worse hero-races imo. Only thing is that they really need to stop the "for the greater good"- exterminatus babbling. If they are aware of their role in the universe, they should grow up a little

I think it is all bollocks and people are making stuff up or being lied to. This is good, in my opinion, as 90% of the rumours are awful.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

With BOK dude asking people to post rumors before he did, he opened the floodgate for people to just start writing the most random stuff. Things that may have credence, but overall are stupid and completely untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    With BOK dude asking people to post rumors before he did, he opened the floodgate for people to just start writing the most random stuff. Things that may have credence, but overall are stupid and completely untrue.
    And of course you know this because you know the truth. So please enlighten us Mr. Pickelz what is the truth?

BoK has been right about everything from Grey Knights forward, he is the only one with what appears to be a legitimate source. Where as every other rumor monger has been dis-proven. Interestingly have you noticed how a lot of the "Other rumors" match very closely to things BoK posted at a later date? This gives them credence as well.

As far as GW is concerned they don't care about the tournament scene or competitive play with their minis. This has been evident by what they did with Fantasy 8th ed, pulling out of the tournament circuit, and all these rumored 6th ed stuff. It makes the game sound like a mix of old 2nd ed rules and Fantasy 8th ed, both of which are terrible for tournaments.

I foresee people still playing 40K and buying 40K minis due to how much most of us have invested at this point, but I expect just like Reece from Front Line Gaming there will be a mass exodus from 40k Tournaments. This saddens me.
    Last edited by Denied; 05-06-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Ahhh- I might be having a heart attack!! I am over weight, over fifty and I am speedballing tranq darts and pure adrenaline!!

Clever, 'right from everything Grey Knights forward', conveniently excluding the time frame where TastyTaste was wrong. He was quite wrong with the Tyranid rumours.

No rumourmonger has a perfect record, some are better than others. TastyTaste has been reliable lately but that doesn't mean everything he says is gospel truth and the same applies to every other rumourmonger.

These rumours seem absurd because they are seem to be based on flawed knowledge of the background, 40k rules, 40k history, WFB rules and GWs general approch to the games systems. Every damn edition there are rumours that this edition will be more like x edition or will be closer to 40k/WFB whatever and that the background will be advanced. Yet it doesn't happen. So there is plenty of rational reasoning not to take these rumours as accurate.

I don't give a damn about the tournament scene, one of the most unhealthy influences on the hobby there is. What I care about are solid, fun rules and sensible background and both these seem to be being discarded going by the rumours. I have more faith in GWs desire to make money than fanboy obsession with moving the story further and 2nd ed being a golden age so I'm going to assume they are utter nonsense until PROVEN otherwise by GW. Not the word of an internet rumourmonger and some of his fanboys.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Sergeant

We'll know one way or the other in a couple of months, I suppose.

My thought is that, while not perfect, we've got it pretty good in 5th right now. Some changes for 6th would definitely be nice, but I don't think a complete rebuild is necessary.

Pretty much what Denied said though. With 6000 points of Orks and 2000 points of Sisters, I've got a significant (for me anyway) investment in the hobby in general and this game in particular. I'm really not going anywhere.

A) not a BoK fanboy by any means, but his current track record on rumors speaks for its self is my point. Additionally other rumors, as posted on BoLS and Faeit212 at or before the time Tasty Taste was posting his line up. To name a few: Mysterious terrain, Hull Points, and the Chaos "Dragon Flyer"

I love you lets act like an Ostrich plan though. I personally love hiding my head in the sand when the world isn't what I want it to be. I believe its the same philosophy that religious fundamentalist use. I especially love how you don't care about the tournament scene. You do realize that tournaments are where games like warhammer develop interest in their games right? Its the same philosophy that TCG's use to drive revenue for their products. Effectively how do you force people into buying the new editions and new rules and not just playing with their old models forever. Sure you can make the models look nicer and to some extent this works because every now and again a casual player is like oh what the hell I'll splurge and by a new box of Necron Immortals.

That model wont bring in continuous money though. In order for the money to be generated to keep a company like that alive you need people to be buying entire new armies every couple of years and in order for that to happen you need to give them a reason to. Hence every couple of years you change the rules to your system so that the armies they used before our out of date and they need a new one to be competitive. Well they need something to be competitive against and that's why you have tournaments. Give them a reason for why they need to remain on top of the game, because they have a chance to win more box's of little toy soldiers when they go to these events.

Say what you will about tournaments and WAAC players, but they are the honest to god revenue source of GW and the reason why it is able to produce a game like WFB and WH40K.
    Ahhh- I might be having a heart attack!! I am over weight, over fifty and I am speedballing tranq darts and pure adrenaline!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast