BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Avengers

Librarian

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. Plus the time she threw Godzilla into a skyscraper due to an intense caffeine high.

Bryan K. Vaughan writes some good reconstructed superheroics.

Librarian

Simplly the most awesome superhero movie ever made.

not even sure if i can decide what my fravorite scene is

ahh who am i kidding it has to be the "puny god" scene

Although the "Target is angry!" scene came close.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Read "The Boys" if you want a nice twist on the Superhero/heroine genre, it's funny and gets quite grim towards the end as things get more and more desperate.
    It goes with the theme of "power corrupts", so every Superhero/heroine is an absolute arsehole.

Everyone loves Billy Butcher.

Edit:[URL="http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/88798-50753-boys_super.png"]Let's give 'em a spanking[/URL]
    Last edited by Tzeentch's Dark Agent; 05-14-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: added link
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Librarian

"The Boys" is okay, but Ennis' early run with on "The Punisher" did it with slightly more humour. Punisher using Spiderman as nothing but a meat shield, only to explain to Spiderman after he's recovered consciousness: "We had a team up. You were great."

The best deconstruction of superheroes for me is Warren Eliis "Fear The Superman" trilogy ("Black Summer", "No Hero", and "Supergod".) Some of the most horrifying stuff I've ever read in comics. Especially "No Hero". *brrr*

Chapter-Master

Not only was it a good movie, but where I saw the Avengers had the best trailers ever. Brave, Prometheus, The Dark Knight Rises, the new Spiderman (which I was dubious of, but the trailer changed that), and a few others. There are more movies I want to see this summer than in the last five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Darkstar View Post
    Simplly the most awesome superhero movie ever made.
    I'd say that is still the Dark Knight, but the Dark Knight isn't really a superhero movie per se, so it's a pointless argument. But, yes, the puny god part is the single funniest thing I've seen in any movie in a long time. I suspect it won't be long before .gifs of it are all over the internet.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Not a huge fan of Dark Knight and whatnot*, despite preferring Batman (and Black Widow) and other 'supergeroes' that don;t have magic powers.

The new Spiderman film looks good then? I liked the first film but the sequels seemd to go really emo and trashy. Is this in the same continuity or a (weclome) reboot?

*Not saying they are bad, I just didn't care for them.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I'm going to watch the new Spiderman, it has Doc Connors and he is awesome.
    Different cast, no Toby Mcquire (however you spell it) HELL YEAH.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Librarian

Loved the Avengers. It has got to be almost impossible to give decent attention (and at least one gag line) to all those different characters but Whedon pulled it off. I hope the guy who cancelled "Firefly" is crying in his beer.

My favorite line was Thor's "He's adopted" with Stark's "Billionaire, playboy genius, philanthropist" and "Pucker up Legolas" being close seconds.

I also thought the movie Thor was exceptionally good. Branaugh made a potentially absurd plot actually work brilliantly.

Chapter-Master

The final act in Thor failed it. They did a pretty good job building up to that point, but other than Thor's moment of revelation where he gets his hammer back the final act was kind of anti-climactic.

The new Spiderman film looks good then? I liked the first film but the sequels seemd to go really emo and trashy. Is this in the same continuity or a (weclome) reboot?

It looks much better. It looks like it jumps right in on the crime fighting action rather than spending so much time on emo stuff, but it still has some strong dramatic elements. Specifically, while he's crime fighting he's hunting for clues to what happened to his parents, and it seems there's some sort of conspiracy involved.

And as I was saying, the Dark Knight and Avengers aren't really good comparisons. The Dark Knight isn't really actually a superhero movie, it's a crime epic that happens to involve a superhero. Avengers is lifted straight from the comics, cheesy physics and all.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

BTW, here are the trailers that played beforehand: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8evyE9TuYk"]The Dark Knight[/URL], [URL="http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/the-amazing-spiderman/"]The Amazing Spiderman[/URL], [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WUpsErUBA&feature=related"]Prometheus[/URL], [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtrDBQ_qmlg"]Brave[/URL], [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2K9GzgiF0"]End of Watch[/URL]
    Last edited by DarkLink; 05-16-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast