BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh GW....

Default Oh GW....

Today we're talking about Finecast, Forgeworld, and more specifically, Apothecaries.

Now GW was kind enough to convert quite a few of their old metal sculpts into Finecast for us, one of which was the classic [url=http://bit.ly/KkPCgb]Space Marine Apothecary with Chainsword[/url].

Now, if you click the [url=http://bit.ly/KkPCgb]LINK[/url], you might notice the $16USD / $19.75CAD price tag, which isn't too bad, except when you stroll over to GW's sister site ForgeWorld.
    The first reaction will be "Man, theses minis look AWESOME!", which will quickly be followed up by a "YEESH!" when you see the price, then convert it to Canadian Currency, you might be shocked by how pricy it is.

Well, that is true, up until you start doing some math...
    In most cases, ForgeWorld is much higher priced then the GW equivalent, but not when you compare Apothecaries...

[url=http://bit.ly/KkPCgb]The GW Apothecary[/url] is priced at $19.75CAD, and $16.00USD.
    While the [url=http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/SPACE_MARINE_APOTHECARY_SET.html]ForgeWorld Apothecary[/url] set (which contains two Apothecaries) is priced at £23.00 (when you include the shipping charge), $36.94USD, and $36.95CAD.
    Math Guy: Hold up, something's wrong here.
    Math Guy: Hey! $(cost)/(# of minis)=(price per mini)
    [MATH MATH MATH]
    Math Guy: That would mean that each FW Apothecary only costs $18.50!
    Random Spectator: Wait does that mean that-
    Math Guy: Yes! That means that you can get a fantastically sculpted FW mini for less then you can get an outdated GW FailCo$t mini.
    Random Spectator: Well dayum son.
    Math Guy: Damn straight.
    -They both high-five-

Just something that I thought some of you might find interesting.

*I'm Canadian, thus the dual price listings.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

welcome to Australia, enjoy your stay

Chaplain

Yeah atleast you don't have to pay $92 AUS for a Thunderfire overseas
    They do look cool those new FW Apothocaries, if i hadn't a few months agao kitbashed and converted my own (suprisingly look similar) then i would have bought a pair of them.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

Chaplain

It's pretty similar in UK too. £9.50 for GW one, then £20 for the set of two from FW and I think most will agree the FW ones look better.
    Thing is this particular price difference is partly there to exploit those who only want to buy one item, even if it might be a better deal to get two. It's fairly common in general, it's not just GW.

Librarian

It wouldn't surprise me to discover that the only purpose the Finecast Apothcary exists is to convince people to buy the FW ones "as a saving".

Why would you even buy that ugly old one, when there's bits for you to make one in the Command Squad box? Baffling.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    Why would you even buy that ugly old one, when there's bits for you to make one in the Command Squad box? Baffling.
    Exactly, unless you are making up a command squad from your bits box and find you have no apothecary.
    The only thing I don't like about the FW apothecaries is the ones backpack

You can't walk into a GW store and buy a FW apothecary, you have to order it. This may seem silly to you but remember most of GWs trade is still done through its store and there are people out there who just avoid FW stuff.

Then of course there is the fact this only affects people outside Britain and Europe, or about 40% of the customer base.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

I just got my FW apothecaries set on Friday and man do they look way better than the regular GW ones that I own. There is one minor airbubble and that pile of stuff the Mk IVs foot is one is missing. Compared to some of the Finecast stuff I seen though they are great looking models.
    Last edited by vharing; 05-14-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

GW errata'd it so the FW model is now triple the price.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    You can't walk into a GW store and buy a FW apothecary, you have to order it.
    Unless your local store is Warhammer World
    Last edited by Wolfshade; 05-15-2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: formatting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast