BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    The Dark Mechanic

Default GW Annual Price Increase

Where's the news or rumors about this year's annual GW "price rise"? June 1 is less than three weeks away. After the past couple years, this ought to be good, by which I mean really, REALLY BAD.

In most years past GW gave at least a solid month's notice on these things, but last year on top of all the other bad news about policy changes, staff and hours cuts, etc. they only posted it on their website unceremoniously one week ahead of the official date of the change, May 28 (which was also Finecast roll-out date). However, news about it leaked out a month ahead thanks to independent sellers who had more than one week's notice. If anyone has seen anything yet, please share.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

They'll probably put the price hike until after 6th edition drops. You know, bait you in then BAM hit you up with a price hike.

Well I heard the Finecast price rise was supposed to be the last of the yearly rises simply because GW aren't so connected to the fluctuating and extremely high metal prices. I don't know if that is true but it will be interesting to see.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Supposedly Resin is a lot more stable and so shouldn't induce a price hike... I say shouldn't :L

... Banking for the Banking god, Money for the Money throne...
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

thedarkgeneral said h'ed heard oh the hike months ago, at this point i fully expect it but i couldn't care less anymore about their unsustainable business.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Well I heard the Finecast price rise was supposed to be the last of the yearly rises simply because GW aren't so connected to the fluctuating and extremely high metal prices. I don't know if that is true but it will be interesting to see.
    That's not exactly true.

GW got smart a few years back. The initial move to Finecast, as well as the DE, GK and Necron army releases were part of the experiment to test for an "optimal" pricing structure. As you know, not everything moved to FC at once and the list of the items that didn't immediately move is interesting. Also, you'll notice that the delta in the individual model pricing wasn't the same across all of the FC products...

Every item in a market has a "sweet" spot for pricing that maximizes profits. Too low or too high actually has the same net effect: lower profits. However, GW didn't really know what that spot was. Technically, it's impossible to know until you institute managed price increases to the point that sales starts dropping.

That's a *very* simplified explanation, the reality is a bit more complicated especially when dealing with currency fluctuations on a global scale. Note that with global sales you can implement slightly different pricing across test markets for further refinement. Hence their restrictions, and subsequent enforcement, on what part of the world a store can sell its products in. The more you look at the past say 4 to 5 years of GW management, it becomes apparent that they've trying to figure this out for a while.

That said, given the current marine FC models that dropped I would guess they have a high degree of confidence that they've hit the right combination and we are unlikely to see the plastic ranges change outside of normal inflationary adjustments.

Iron Father

I have this feeling we may not see a price rise this year, I could be wrong, and its just a hunch but after the fiasco of last years finecast / price rise double whammy and the outcry it provoked not just from retail customers but suppliers also. Add in 6th and the wish to push as many 40k products as possible and the boost the Hobbit will give sales in December. I just don't think GW will rise prices because sales should be very good this year anyway.
    I am presently touching all the wood I can lay my hands on
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Could explain this latest splash of finecast marines, get the largest sellers into finecast before the end of the year to minimize the impact of metal prices.

I heard that the price increase is going to be only on products sold or shipped into Texas

Chapter-Master

I heard they were limiting it to the Australian market, and it's also higher, twice the amount than usual...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast