BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    Here we go

I think in this case my signature says it all.
    am a vet at w40k . I was one of the people who started building the hobby up here in the early 90s that is what we here mean by being a vet. Dude that are actual vets here are either crazy or dont talk about it because there is nothing to talk about+its unhealithy.

I diasgree with needing 2500 points to play Warhammer, you cna play a prefectly good game at 1000 points.
    I am sorry but when did you see WFB games being normal size at 1k pts . And while w40k in deed is at 1500 and not 2500pts[at least in main land europe] for most games that does not change the fact that due to the number of razorbacks and transports needed to play the costs is as high as some of the WFB armies.again draigo wing being the exeption[kind of a explains why people play it so offten too].

For those on a strict budget like yourself, have you ever thought about starting a club where members each contribute a set amount to go towards "club armies" start it as a modeling / painting club and when you have enough to play a game, everyone gets a go.
    I hope I don't come across as condescending as that's not my intention. Club bought battalions are a great way to share an army. Just a thought
    First clubs would have to exist , that is one thing . there are few if any in eastern europe[and I am not saying just Russia] . I also see a huge problem with the sharing aspect . If something belongs to everyone , it belongs to no one . And then it gets stolen . destroyed etc I know you western guys think different[your sociaty works that way] , but here and most of the eastern countries that is how stuff works . No man is going to give his cash that someone else [he may not even be friends with] plays. That wont happen [well maybe if they were forced , but that is kind of a extrem].
    Last edited by the jeske; 05-19-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by the jeske View Post
    am a vet at w40k . I was one of the people who started building the hobby up here in the early 90s that is what we here mean by being a vet. Dude that are actual vets here are either crazy or dont talk about it because there is nothing to talk about+its unhealithy.
    Sorry, I thought you meant that you could afford plenty of stuff because you were a vetrinarian who get paid staggering amounts of money in the west. I didn't get how being a warhammer verteran led to you being able to afford plenty of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by the jeske View Post
    I am sorry but when did you see WFB games being normal size at 1k pts . And while w40k in deed is at 1500 and not 2500pts[at least in main land europe] for most games that does not change the fact that due to the number of razorbacks and transports needed to play the costs is as high as some of the WFB armies.again draigo wing being the exeption[kind of a explains why people play it so offten too].
    Whilst 2000-2500 points are the avergae amount, there is no reason that you have to play at that amount was my point. The game works perfectly at 1000pts, especially if you are limited for time or have a limited budget and are slowly building up an army. You don't have to have a 2500 point army to start playing.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Sorry, I thought you meant that you could afford plenty of stuff because you were a vetrinarian who get paid staggering amounts of money in the west. I didn't get how being a warhammer verteran led to you being able to afford plenty of stuff.

Whilst 2000-2500 points are the avergae amount, there is no reason that you have to play at that amount was my point. The game works perfectly at 1000pts, especially if you are limited for time or have a limited budget and are slowly building up an army. You don't have to have a 2500 point army to start playing.
    I thought 1500 was about the average pick up game, and that's still about 300-400 as an entrance barrier.Which is pretty rough.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

My group plays a lot of WB at 1000, 1500, 2000 etc points and they are all equally fun. Anyone who says you can't play WFB at 1k is either lying or an idiot. Any lower than 1000 can cause issues if there isn't a tacit agreement by some players not to take certain things but when that happens anything down to 500pts can be really enjoyable.

Also, there is a lot of kits being Finecasted for WFB with a price rise so that may be what sparked this rumour. But as far as we know so far there is NOT a general price rise incoming. It is still possible they may spring one in mid June, but that is just conjecture.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

500 pt games are fun, but very unbalanced for some armies. Skaven and OK utterly dominate at the level. 1000 points is about the minimum to ensure relatively balanced games.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Default I Feel Like My Favorite Local Restraunt Just Gave Me a Wedgie

Quote Originally Posted by TheBitzBarn View Post
    This is Trolls looking to start flame wars.
    Dear BitzBarn,
    If anyone else had posted (again) that I was just trolling I'd probably just ignore it. I feel that I gave as reasoned and complete as response as a man could when Daboarder said it. However, I'm actually a fan of yours... the business, I mean. It's kinda weird when one takes a lick from a real world entity that they admire. So, to reiterate: the whole point of this thread was to take a "glass half full" point of view of any GW price increases that come down the pipe... whenever they come. Bear with me: prices will eventually rise. When they do I can get huffy and indignant that they did OR I can say, "Well, I'm glad my favorite producer of luxury products is doing well. Oh good: they're STILL making fantastic models for me."

Cheers. Copeland

PS You and I have something in common. We both post under real names: you under the name of your business and me under my name. There are so many benefits that flow from doing this: it keeps us honest, it keeps us polite, and rarely do we fall into the trap of being needlessly snide or rude because we're not hiding behind screen names. It feels good! Keep up the good work, Bitz! I admire your business!
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Yup, that is what I meant about certain players having to forego certain units/combos to make it fair. You really need a good group for it to happen, but otherwise 1000pts is a prefectly fine start up point. You can get to that with a batallion or two (or some plastic kits) and a few characters (under £200).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    500 pt games are fun, but very unbalanced for some armies. Skaven and OK utterly dominate at the level. 1000 points is about the minimum to ensure relatively balanced games.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Yup, that is what I meant about certain players having to forego certain units/combos to make it fair. You really need a good group for it to happen, but otherwise 1000pts is a prefectly fine start up point. You can get to that with a batallion or two (or some plastic kits) and a few characters (under £200).
    Use eBay or stores like wayland and it can be done for even less, as for the starter boxs Black Reach and Blood isle, both of those are fantasic ways to play games on the cheap. Split the cost with a buddy and your laughing. This hobby really isn't as inaccessible as the anti GW brigade would have us believe.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Default Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    Split the cost with a buddy and you're laughing. This hobby really isn't as inaccessible as the anti GW brigade would have us believe.
    Hear, Hear! The main thing to do is to buy into the hobby in bite sized chunks. This is a piecemeal hobby and one builds their collection up over time... doing that also staves off the insanity that comes from staring at a huge pile of unpainted gray bits still on the sprue!
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    doing that also staves off the insanity that comes from staring at a huge pile of unpainted gray bits still on the sprue!
    The worrying thing is this isnt half of what i have left to paint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0523.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	2070  
    Last edited by Morgan Darkstar; 05-20-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast