BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rumor: Challenges from BoW

Looks like Challenges are in here is another installment from Beast of War

[url]http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/fantasy-style-challenges-warhammer-40k-close-combat/[/url]
    Ahhh- I might be having a heart attack!! I am over weight, over fifty and I am speedballing tranq darts and pure adrenaline!!

This is one of the rumors that I wouldn't mind to be honest. Although it makes dedicated close combat characters much better than they already are.

Brother-Captain

This is a rumour that I also think would be pretty cool to have in 40k.

Though I'm not sure why, as some people have suggested, it would make combat HQs that much better.
    You can always turn down the challenge, right?
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Librarian

I think it would be cool and make sense, if the coward IC could not give out his leadership characteristic right after declining a challenge.

Chapter-Master

Supposedly, if you refuse the challenge then your IC has to hide in the back and can't participate in the combat at all. So if you run up against Driago or Ghaz with like a standard Captain or something, you're screwed. You can't fight them because their HQ will slaughter yours, but you cant run away because your HQ won't be able to do anything at all. I'm not a fan, because I don't think this will improve the balance of the game overall. Dominating HQs just become even more dominating.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Supposedly, if you refuse the challenge then your IC has to hide in the back and can't participate in the combat at all. So if you run up against Driago or Ghaz with like a standard Captain or something, you're screwed. You can't fight them because their HQ will slaughter yours, but you cant run away because your HQ won't be able to do anything at all. I'm not a fan, because I don't think this will improve the balance of the game overall. Dominating HQs just become even more dominating.
    Total agreement here, it really doesn't help the game any other than to make it a little fluffy maybe, or fulfill some sense of battlefield honor some people seem to have. They fail to remember that this is a grimdark future where surviving and winning are all that matter, not some challenges that shouldn't matter in the scheme of things. People arent going to stop a battle to watch their captain fight another captain until one of them loses, no the units are just going to go balls to the wall.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

So I can go IC hunting and not worry about being attacked by the squad while using a Demon Prince or a Hive tyrant. awesome .

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Which is why in Warhammer you have unit champions. You throw away a cheap 1 wound member of the unit to the challenge of the combat monster allowing your captain to do some damage whilst negating the damage their own killer can do and hopefully allowing you to win the combat overall. To keep it fair I assume they would introduce a rule which allows sergeants to accept challenges.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

See thing is...in Fantasy they can go to the back rank and not be involved. But in 40k, unless its a big unit (or a change in CC rules) units at the back can still attack as long as they're within 2" right? Or have I been playing it wrong for 5 years....

And if you're IC is outmatched it does seem a pretty poor result for you. You can either have your IC butchered, or you can have him unable to do something and have the enemy IC butcher the unit instead, meaning you lose combat and likely run away.

Makes me wonder how the INcubi HQ character ability (can be moved to any part of the combat) would work, or how assaulting an IC on his own would
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    See thing is...in Fantasy they can go to the back rank and not be involved. But in 40k, unless its a big unit (or a change in CC rules) units at the back can still attack as long as they're within 2" right? Or have I been playing it wrong for 5 years....

And if you're IC is outmatched it does seem a pretty poor result for you. You can either have your IC butchered, or you can have him unable to do something and have the enemy IC butcher the unit instead, meaning you lose combat and likely run away.

Makes me wonder how the INcubi HQ character ability (can be moved to any part of the combat) would work, or how assaulting an IC on his own would
    Like is said, you accept the challenge with your sergeant leaving your IC free to fight. The moving to the back of unit does present a problem if you don't have sergeant to accept with but I really wouldn't worry too much about this. These rumours are just that and I have doubts about the idea of GW bringing in lots fantasy rules to a game that plays in very different way.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast