BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck777 View Post
    The Talons look... Terrible.

They're like Chibi Planes. They do not fit the Space Marine Ascetic in the least.
    They're not planes. They're gunships. More akin to helicopters than anything. Of course they're going to look snub and adorable. That's what I love about them.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Squat, block and ngular all fit the SM flyer aesthetic perfectly. Have you not seen the Thunderhawk? These are like chibi thunderhawks.
    That's kinda the problem. While the Stormraven got nicknamed the "chibi thunderhawk", it really was just more a scaled down version of the same aesthetic (and I lurve me the SR). The Talon is, well, actually chibi. Its over all shapes are too curved and bulbous...and sweet Eris, that chin turret.

Fly Lord

My problem is that somewhere the design studio has gone off the rails in the grimdark aesthetic.

When you look at the Land Raider, Chimera, Rhino, or even Thunderhawk, there is this sense of scale and design that holds them together with the rugged Imperium they serve.

Starting with the Stormraven and the Stormtalon, every one is becoming less a rugged combat vehicle that belongs in the dark millennium and more a toylike cartoon of what the actual vehicle should have been.

This newest Marine flyer makes me think of this: (see attachment).

Games Workshop has always said the target customer for 40k is teenage boys, now they are outright making toys for them.

Now that Ork flyer is ACE!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skyhawkcomp1a.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	2072  
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Squat, block and ngular all fit the SM flyer aesthetic perfectly. Have you not seen the Thunderhawk? These are like chibi thunderhawks.
    I think its the chibi part that's throwing them off though. the thunderhawk and raven could both conceivably fly given enough brute force....this thing however looks llike it would summers-ult all the way to the battlefield.

Perhaps better angles would help. the Ork and Necron models look hot though.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    I think its the chibi part that's throwing them off though. the thunderhawk and raven could both conceivably fly given enough brute force....this thing however looks llike it would summers-ult all the way to the battlefield.
    This looks like the only one that would fly. The SR is a grey area, and the Thunderhawk has no chance.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Put enough thrust behind it and the thunderhawk would fly.....or orbit at really really low altitude I guess

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Games Workshop has always said the target customer for 40k is teenage boys, now they are outright making toys for them.
    Wait, you mean I haven't been playing with toy soldiers this whole time?

I don't think this in any way contradicts the 'grimdark' aesthetic...I'm not sure what about the Rhino chassis, specifically, is grimdark, anyway.

But to each their own. I love the new gunship, and can't wait to get my paws on a couple. :3
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

stormtalon: i feel a little conversion project comming up..... the tail is in my opinion way to short (needs at least to be the length of the entire craft) and the landing gear is oddly placed. overall i feel like its getting a fiat multipla from your boss
    you either love it or ... well hate it :P

ork bomber: i already like it, almost makes me going orky for a while

necron thingy: yeah what could i say about it ..... its necron!

I like them all....this could be bad....I'd prefer to be able to use the Stormtalon with my current Space Wolves project but if I can't I guess I'll use it with my existing Imperial Fists. Necrons I want at least two, and as for the Orks - I don't even play them and I want a Burna-Bommer That little ball turret behind the cockpit puts me in mind of the old Dauntless from WWII. Gotta have one!

The Bommas and the Scythes are amazing, although a cockpit-cover option for the Scythes would've been nice.

The Talon is a monument to all of humanity's sins. A plastic Land Speeder Tempest squadron could've pulled it off with a lot more grace.
    Last edited by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer; 05-28-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast