BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Is it time to boycott GW?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 30.70%
  • No

79 69.30%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    Duty and import taxes has nothing to do with it, GW has a NA manufacturing facility. Might be true for canada, I don't know if it's more than just the tennesee facility.
    The majority of the products are made in the UK, go check your boxes mate. The UK is the main manufacturing and distribution base, the US is not, so the costs for the US need to factor in import duty, shipping etc and factors effecting the UK over the US.

I for one don't mind an increase, as it is very likely that GW will have to factor in for an explosive euro-zone and loss of sales and possible damage to property etc. It is something that many businesses this side of the pond have been factoring in, and building reserves against.

Looking at things from a US perspective is a waste of time as it misses the major factors of GW's running costs, you have to look at the market in the UK to get a proper perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    Okay I get why GW does this now, you're all completely insane and will pay whatever their asking price. I suggest going to addiction counseling.
    Perhaps. Perhaps not. I suspect it goes more like this: we have some perspective and realize that this is a completely luxury product that no one has a right to. With that in mind we enter the hobby with eyes wide open. We know what our sheckles are worth to us and STILL choose to buy stuff from GW. We each have breaking points but (right now) many of us don't feel we've hit them.

We are confused by YOU: Genny, you seem to think of playing 40K as a right like education, housing, and health care. You can't seem to understand that many of us might agree with you about OTHER things being rights but NOT stuff like GW products. Here are some of my beliefs in black and white:

• You have a right to be safe.
    • You have a right not to starve to death.
    • You have a right to a public education up through a high school diploma.
    • You SHOULD have a right to Universal Health Care (I think we Americans are insane when it comes to how we manage health services).
    • You have a right to Free Speech.
    • You have a right to an honest, living wage and a safe work environment.
    • You DON'T have the right to play polo. It costs a lot of money, you have to buy a horse, and probably have to join an elite club to play. You're going to have to make a LOT of money to engage in this hobby...
    • You DON'T have the right to be on the football team... that's why they have tryouts. If you are good enough you'll make it but many people won't...
    • You DON'T have the right to a 87" plasma TV... they cost a LOT and you're going to have to save up if you want one... see my point about "polo" above...
    • You DON'T have the right to play 40K at prices determined by you... you have to play at the prices set by GW... if it's too expensive then you'll have to find a hobby you can afford... see my note about "polo" above.
    • You DON'T have the right to a Porsche. Again, if you REALLY want a Porsche (I know I do) you'll have to earn a lot of money and save for it... I could do that (it would take a ridiculously long time) but I choose NOT to because I have higher priorities (such as my mortgage payment, preparing for my kids' college educations, a nice bottle of wine from time to time, and getting my central AC fixed because it's starting to get hot here in Texas).

So, there ya go. I look forward to your well reasoned response... Copeland
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Compared to gas for my car gw is cheap. Right now I live in vancouver bc canada. Guess what we have the highest gas in north america. I'll save my whining for high gas prices, my plastic models are still cheap in my eyes and totally worth it. You can do what you want but me ill keep buying my plastic models, assembling, painting and playing with them.

@copeland: well thought out response i totally agree with you

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been locked or deleted yet.
    Did you not get the memo? the mods are gone.......

at least thats the impression i get from some of the OT threads lately!

Duke where are you?
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    Where's Big Red when you need him ?
    I had the very same thoughts this morning......and still here we are.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

It's been a hot day here in Texas (seriously! the AC in my house is out!)... perhaps all of the Mods (who live just up the road from me in Austin, Tx are taking siestas!
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

GW reminds me of the Comic Book industry.

“The truth is people are leaving anyway, they’re just doing it quietly, and we have been papering it over with increased prices.”

- Dan Didio, co-publisher of DC Comics, Los Angeles Times, August 22nd, 2011.

That is EXACTLY what GW is doing.

There are a few easy solutions GW can use to solve its problems.

1. Farm out its IP more.

2. Lower prices and make up the difference in revenue by selling more product.

3. Come out and tell us WHY you are raising prices. We can speculate all we want but there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the percentages of the increases. Why is the Stormraven being hit harder than a Land Raider, which is being hit more than a Finecast Character.

4. Bundle products to save money. Why have 2 kits for the Rhino and Razorback when one will do? Why have 2 land Raiders when one will do the job? Do we really need a separate kit for a Librarian, a Chaplain and a Captain? Why not bundle those together and give us the bitz necessary to make the model we want?

I'm sure there are far more things GW could do to help revitalize their game but many those solutions go unseen by the average player (i.e. they are behind the scenes issues).

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    It's been a hot day here in Texas (seriously! the AC in my house is out!)... perhaps all of the Mods (who live just up the road from me in Austin, Tx are taking siestas!
    Nah been this way for over a week must be some sort o holiday
    Last edited by Morgan Darkstar; 05-23-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck777 View Post
    GW reminds me of the Comic Book industry.

“The truth is people are leaving anyway, they’re just doing it quietly, and we have been papering it over with increased prices.”

- Dan Didio, co-publisher of DC Comics, Los Angeles Times, August

4. Bundle products to save money. Why have 2 kits for the Rhino and Razorback when one will do? Why have 2 land Raiders when one will do the job? Do we really need a separate kit for a Librarian, a Chaplain and a Captain? Why not bundle those together and give us the bitz necessary to make the model we want?

I'm sure there are far more things GW could do to help revitalize their game but many those solutions go unseen by the average player (i.e. they are behind the scenes issues).
    Good god I wish they'd do a plastic character kit for MUhreens. Price it at $30, let us make a regular and termi in any of those 3 flavors and I'd buy at least 3 boxes.

www.queencityguard.com

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Good god I wish they'd do a plastic character kit for MUhreens. Price it at $30, let us make a regular and termi in any of those 3 flavors and I'd buy at least 3 boxes.
    It's true.

With all of these awesome new plastic kits coming out, part of me thinks we might actually see this.

On the other hand, I'm not sure they'll do anything to detract from their Finecast line.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast