BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Is it time to boycott GW?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 30.70%
  • No

79 69.30%
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Scout

Default Secure the Future GW

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound2delta View Post
    My thing with prices sooo high, is how does a 12 year old kid get into the hobby?
    Going back to the main issue though, is how does a kid get into this hobby? Especially when he/she doesn't have a job and is expectant of their parents to buy these way overpriced models. These are toys after all. I don't know maybe I speaking from the standpoint of an American and table top wargaming must be the happening thing in the UK but growing up I never even heard of table top wargaming and instead had a great time playing with 3 1/2 inch GI Joes. So what is GW doing to to ge kids into this hobby?
    GW must want, as a company, to win the hearts and minds. It isn't happening in the places I have been going to recently 'kids' without cash are playing card based games, token games, and proxy whatever for whatevre. In this environment I don't see young people really committing to and therefore investining in 40K. The Asian economies are huge markets too(not just Japan). In my opinion GW needs to maintain cheap options in their range such as Black Reach etc to attract young players. More than just a single box kids can splitit and play for the summer/winter holidays etc. Then after they are into it they can then expand into the more expensive model ranges. Moreover, it is a game that happens in the minds / psyches of players. Therefore it is important to not only make up profits from targetting the' middle class' or even 'rich' player who is possibly middle age o ryoung and well emplyed with disposable income. A long term increase in sales and growing player base can be encouraged and maintained, in part, by allowing access to a cheapish option. I don't mean ebay. I mean a new box set inteh Xmass stocking type product that even us established gamers can drop on people and moms and dads alike are able to go to the glitzy GW site and say hay I can affor that. Even some people I work with that will play with my toys say to me OH my gosh how do you afford all this stuff, it is so expensive! When I was younger living in Australia the prices kept me out of the hobby for a decade, so I played 1/72 cheap stuff. Now I'm one of the lucky ones. All that said - It is a really good point that cheap starter set packages (more than 2 factions) such as the ork v marines / nyds v guard / necron v wolves or what ever that have little fluff books to encourage interest a rules set and some cool models with a special character, so the player can think that cool one there that is me. Remember kids have endless imagination for playing games with limited financial resources. GW think community! That is the answer just think community and secure it as one for young and old. Get ya smarts out and provide a range with a price range for all.

It seems that they saw an incerease in FW popularity and a(relative decreas in the amount growth) in GW and have gone that route. all ba.d, but I would encourage a little imagination in marketting right now. Now is the time GW. Conceptualise the future of the hobby include the young or they will just play the video games only.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound2delta View Post
    I actually pulled my gas statistic from gasbuddy.com. What I quoted was the national average across the nation in 2008 at it's highest. However I remember before leaving for Iraq that gas was getting to be $5 a gallon and that was in Fort Riley, Kansas. Gas hasn't ballooned 200% since then either as the price of oil per barrel has gone and back up several times over the last 4 years but it did just go back down right before this weekend and that is being reflected in the prices at the pump right now. For that stat you'll just have watch Fox Business News.

Holy smack my ***. You're right. Was it really that high at the end of 2008? And then it nose dived to under 1.60 / gal in Cincy. From jan 2008 were looking at a 230% increase. Wonder if it'll go down Again after the election.

www.queencityguard.com

Scout

Default Boycott

Oh and I am no to a boycott. Pro-active participation, letter writing, lobbying GW and assistance to things you love is the way to encourage moves in the right direction. FW is a huge success! GW is amodle of past huge success. Black Library is a Huge Success. The transformations in the company are obviously ongoing and huge I don't understand what you think a boycott might achieve perhaps you could elaborate on your idea to clarify the course of action so we can better understand.

Brother-Sergeant

Calling for a boycott of a luxury item is redundant. I'm not going to stop buying these great models because you can't afford it and everyone gets to make up their own mind; it's called a market. I mean, are you going to call for boycotts of Ferrari, Tiffany's etc. because they're above your range?

I'm just glad that GW has a insane addiction to quality and I'm willing to pay for it. I always hear about WarmaDustHordesFlames form GW haters but as soon as I check out the models I'm just not impressed. I think there's room for another mainstream 'budget' tabletop game and I think it would be great for GW to have a serious threat. But whoever is making the best minis is getting my dollars.

If this was food or medical care or a necessity that a monopoly was pricing large portions of the people out of; I'd be with you in calling to bring down costs.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819