BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Model Values

Default Model Values

After some long consideration i've decided to get rid of one of my armies and just curious what generally is the best way from people that have sold models before.

Is it better to sell them as individual units or the full army together and does it make a difference massively to the price if they are painted or not?

I have a friend that can paint them for me reasonably well for some commission off the sale but I don't know if they sell for much more painted or not, so i'm trying to decide which will be the best way.

Any feedback is much appreciated

Chapter-Master

unless they are really well painted I would suggest unpainted models are going to get you a better price, also by painting them you'd be limiting the potential buyers to people who want to buy that particular colour scheme...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Iron Father

eBay buyers are usually looking for a bargain, primed and unpainted will get you onwards of 50 % of original price. Still on sprue is best.
    Your only going to make money on models that are painted really really well. As an example I sold some Terminators recently that I spent over 20 hours painting for about £50. So if I charged by the hour I would have earned £2 an hour .

A mate of mine just picked up a job lot of models for £40, he got over 100 models.

If you eBay them, stick them on near the end of the month when most people get paid and feel flush

Good luck with your sales mate.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 05-22-2012 at 05:23 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

On sprue is best.

Unpainted is best but primed is ok. You will loose quite a bit of money of the models are painted.

Selling the units individually will generate more hits. Selling all your models in one big bundle requires a discount be given but a lot of people really love big auctions.

Always try to have your auctions end at the end of the week, like on friday or saturday. Most people are flush with money, so they are more likely in the mood to spend money. Conversely, ending the auction on a tuesday is the worst since they won't have money and it puts them past the typical "make the payment within 48 hours" requirement.

Chaplain

If any are Tau....PM me with what you got...LOL

serious.....

Cool, that's some really good advice.

Sorry ksoh75 they are daemons i'm selling so hopefully may be able to get some interest from the fantasy gamers too.

Thanks guys

Another option might be to find out if any of the local gaming stores would be willing to take them in trade. Granted, you won't get as much as you would by selling them on Ebay, but doing a trade has some advantages, such as:

1. No buyers who don't pay or take forever to pay.
    2. No waiting, ebay fees, postage, taking pictures, or dealing with the internet.
    3. You may end up doing as well out of trade as you would selling them with less work--in fact, some stores will offer you more in trade than in cash.

Case in point, I just traded in an old army to start a chapter of Space Marines. I got around 25-30% of retail for them in trade. They were all painted, so there wasn't any way I was going to get half retail for them on Ebay, based on my research. With the trade I got--which they sweetened a bit because they knew I shopped there and had brought them a lot of stuff in trade--was enough to walk about with a nice bag o' used Space Marines (darn close to 1500 points, actually).

Granted, this is an option only if you're interested in doing trade. I don't know if you're starting a new army, but in any case, you might be able to trade in your old army and use the trade value to give your remaining armies a bunch o' new toys.