BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Is it time to boycott GW?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 30.70%
  • No

79 69.30%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    I'm not going to participate in a "boycott". Boycotts are stupid and most of them are ridiculously ineffective.

What I WILL do is make a decision as a free market consumer and choose to purchase less GW product. GW prices were always within the "impulse purchase" price range. I'd walk into a game shop, play a game and be like "I really could have used another land raider" or "Damn I feel like painting a new wraithlord" - then walk out of the shop with one.

Those types of purchases aren't going to happen anymore at these prices for me as a consumer. I'm not a tightwad by any means but I'm also not going to throw good pocket change out the window.

My purchases are now going to be based on what kind of army I want to build. Everything will be planned from now on.

GW seems to think that their luxury items are inelastic in their demand versus their cost. Its simply not the case and I think GW is going to really be surprised just how much in sales they're going to lose because of this.

THAT will be the boycott - the unintentional one. The one that happens when thousands of consumers independently make informed decisions on the value of their potential purchases.

I'd like to think your right here, but unfortunately from what i've been seeing from the people on this board (assuming they are a representation, which is a bad assumption) they're going to keep spending their "budget" and simply buying fewer items. which is a net gain for GW because they're making the same amount of money on less actual production.

The telling part is what will this do to new customers, and by how much they get priced out.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    of course THIS one isn't the end of the hobby, my point is taht GW is going to keep doing this until they get to a point where new players are few and far between and when that happens, GW will be looking at it's last days. Well GW won't, the table top game will.
    Even if the new price increases wind up hurting GW, the company won't evaporate overnight.

They'll notice if there's any sort of measurable backlash to a decision like this, and try something (or multiple somethings) to compensate, like maybe lowering prices at the cost of spacing out releases a bit more.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Chapter-Master

of course THIS one isn't the end of the hobby, my point is taht GW is going to keep doing this until they get to a point where new players are few and far between and when that happens, GW will be looking at it's last days. Well GW won't, the table top game will.
    Businesses that price their customer base out of the market tend to either make adjustments to their business model or go out of business.

Obviously GW thinks that they can increase revenue with these price increases.

My gut disagrees but I'm looking at the equation from the consumer side with no research data to back up my feeling.

Chapter-Master

Oh I read it but you still seem to not care.

EDIT: WTF is with the difference between the bols and dakka polls. this one has almost no one boycotting while bols is almost half and half with the same number of votes. Small sample sizes?
    So what... You just ignored the statement then?

The difference between the Dakka and BoLS polls is the demographic. Dakka has a much, much higher number of younger players on it than BoLS does. This means there are lot more irrational folks prone to complaining, whereas here we have a much higher amount of pragmatism going on.

www.queencityguard.com

Battle-Brother

I'm not going to boycott them. I'm just not going to buy from them anymore. I start living on my own after this summer, so quite frankly I can't afford too much GW anymore. It would be more worth my time to use what I already have, and if I really feel like I have money to spend, I'll probably spend it on Warmahordes or Dust.
    I Don't think an organized boycott is worth the effort here. if GW actually starts losing profit because of the price change, they will have to figure something out. Otherwise, good luck to the new players who don't know how good the would have had it if they started earlier.

Occuli Imperator

I would wager that GW know what their market is, and know how much tolerance it has for pricing. I think that is evidenced in their financial statements for the last couple of periods. The fact that not only are the profitable, but they are increasing revenue in times during a recession is a testament to the fact that they are doing something right.

Chapter-Master

The poll on here also revelas a lot about the community. 5 votes for a boycott, but only one person commenting to that effect

Ergo Lurkers - Nothing good to say - Overreacting Whingers.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

If I cant afford the plastic, so be it. I am not sure if anyone has noticed, but our neighbours on the continent look like going bust causing economic shock waves. Those from the US should read the news in other parts of the world more, as GW is a British company with British concerns.

Like it or not, that is the heart of the matter. If GW was a US company, then they may not be putting up prices, but it is not.

I will buy what I like, and if I can afford less then so be it. As I prefer Black Library to the plasticrack, and those prices have not been going up, I'm ok.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    The poll on here also revelas a lot about the community. 5 votes for a boycott, but only one person commenting to that effect

Ergo Lurkers - Nothing good to say - Overreacting Whingers.
    I take it more i'm the only one insane enough to argue with those who are clearly insane themselves.

All I can say is thank god for vassal because the only thing worth GW's prices any more are their books.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Just as planned.......
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast