BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Is it time to boycott GW?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 30.70%
  • No

79 69.30%
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Those from the US should read the news in other parts of the world more, as GW is a British company with British concerns.
    Thankfully the UK is separated from the "mutually assured destruction" of the EU - but since its a regional partner with the economic super bloc its going to suffer horribly. Plus the UK is technically in a recession now.

A lot of us do pay attention to the news - and those that are paying attention are very scared for the future of the EU - and the US for that matter. Taxageddeon is an economic cliff that we're headed towards full-speed with the brake lines cut.
    Last edited by Defenestratus; 05-23-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Chapter-Master

I really don't like the Euro stuff recently...I don't see a way out of the situation cleanly.

Greece leaves - We're screwed
    Greece stays - We're less screwed, but the world still suffers...

Englands insulated a bit cos we don't have the Euro, and could even benefit a bit against a weak Euro, but we're too tied to each other over here.

Not to mention Spain and Italy are both in dire straights....
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    I take it more i'm the only one insane enough to argue with those who are clearly insane themselves.
    I am not sure that just because you disagree with some people that that qualifies you as being insane, and vice versa.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    I really don't like the Euro stuff recently...I don't see a way out of the situation cleanly.

Greece leaves - We're screwed
    Greece stays - We're less screwed, but the world still suffers...

Englands insulated a bit cos we don't have the Euro, and could even benefit a bit against a weak Euro, but we're too tied to each other over here.

Not to mention Spain and Italy are both in dire straights....
    Also Portugal and the Irish republic aren't really much more viable...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Why don't we all just calm down?
    Last edited by Tzeentch's Dark Agent; 05-23-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chaplain

[QUOTE=gendoikari87;200239]Oh I read it but you still seem to not care. Which if you have a good gaming group and you all have your armies I can see.QUOTE]

We have a great group......we average about 30-50 people for our big tournies once a year in Cincinnati and the Tri State area with many monthley tournies through out the area that will have between 20-30 per tourny.

Thus various leagues as well as support from our GW store as well as LGS's.....

Cincinnati is Hom to CAG and Queen City Guard.....google us.....

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Thankfully the UK is separated from the "mutually assured destruction" of the EU - but since its a regional partner with the economic super bloc its going to suffer horribly. Plus the UK is technically in a recession now.

A lot of us do pay attention to the news - and those that are paying attention are very scared for the future of the EU - and the US for that matter. Taxageddeon is an economic cliff that we're headed towards full-speed with the brake lines cut.
    taxageddon? Oh noes, the gubmints asking us poor corporations to pay the same rate as normal People? [/sarcasm]

Silver lining: Hey lookit, forgeworld is now affordable...
    Last edited by gendoikari87; 05-23-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    taxageddon? Oh noes, the gubmints asking us poor corporations to pay the same rate as normal People? [/sarcasm]
    Go educate yourself on the taxageddeon issues. Its not just corporations that are going to be hit. If you don't take my word for it, take it from the CBO since you seem willing to trust statist institutions more than private enterprise.

Silver lining: Hey lookit, forgeworld is now affordable...
    Anyone who has been paying attention has realized that certain FW kit has been priced competitively for quite some time. Its limited distribution channel and game cultural stigma of being "unofficial" are the only reasons you don't see more of them in my opinion.

Go educate yourself on the taxageddeon issues. Its not just corporations that are going to be hit. If you don't take my word for it, take it from the CBO since you seem willing to trust statist institutions more than private enterprise.
    ... yeah, because private enterprise is completely trustworthy. You're obviously an ignorant and or psychopathic right winger(redundant I know), you're going on the ignore list.
    Last edited by gendoikari87; 05-23-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chaplain

Speaking from a Canadian perspective, the prices I currently pay for pretty much everything on the price adjustment list - save maybe the books - are already on average $2-3 higher than the increased US prices. I started off with the hobby seven years ago when the price disparity was warranted by a weaker Canadian dollar - now, when the dollar has been pretty much par for at least three or four years, GW still seems to be keeping us on a sliding scale of "paying more than the US". Land Raiders have been more than $75 since the last price rise. I think the last blister pack I bought for under $16 was a pack of Harlequins, four years ago. Recently I bought an Emperor's Champion in Finecast - $19.

When I started the hobby, you could still get a troops box for $30 (or $40, but the $40 ones usually had 12-16 models in them) and codices were $30 tops. The latest Space Marine book was $40 on release day here... three years ago.

It isn't as much a question of "willingness to pay $X" as it is "willingness to spend $X". I wouldn't mind paying $75 or $79 for a Land Raider if I wanted a Land Raider. It would take me marginally longer to set aside the... four extra dollars, which simply means a longer interval between purchases. If we talk monthly schedule, fewer models bought per month. Sure, this means that it'll take longer for a newbie to build up an army... to the arbitrary 1850/2000/2500 tournament standard, maybe. The game plays just as well at 1000/1250/1500 points. Maybe there'll be a newfound interest in smaller points games among new players unable to match the collections of gamers with ten years and 35000 points of models in their bag.

And as far as boycotting GW - my entire gaming group (five or six of us, so about the number voting for a boycott as of my writing) has been on an involuntary "boycott" for the last two years because we've all started university. As far as I can tell, GW has not been adversely affected. I suppose the question to ask yourself before you suggest a boycott is, if GW, say, DROPPED prices by, oh, $3 next year... would you really be buying that many more models?
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast