BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Lightbulb What 40k races do you want a codex for?

A couple of things I want to mention:

- First, my guide on buying for beginners is on hold for the time being. While having higher prices is expected, it isn't exactly great either. I, for one, will just buy alternative models anyway to complete the look for my armies. But that's not the point. The point is if the price lists released recently are anything to go by, previous battleforces that were worth it might not be anymore. So for the time being I'm putting the guide aside. If anyone is interested in that I'll continue it once again after the price hike.

- Ok, that's out of the way. I'll get to the point plain and simple. I eventually want to create my own fandex for 40k as a learning experience in game design. Yeah I can go to college for a course in that. But that's expensive and I'll just stick to my local art college. Plus there's a huge community already out here who would gladly play test the fandex. All of this is to help me understand game mechanics so I can start my own wargame. Yes, it's ambitious and yes it'll be years (not many I hope) before my wargame makes it. But in the meantime I would love to make alternative army lists for others who play 40k. I won't say "fun" because it seems redundant. If your product isn't fun in some way to begin with, then why bother?

So here's what I need from you guys. What race in the 40k world would you want to play with? If you can't think of one, then what army list from the yesteryears of 40k would you want to make a comeback? If all else fails, what race from any other story would you want to make an appearance in 40k? The reason I'm doing this is because in the end people will only play this fandex if they want it. So this is a kind of open poll.

Due to IP infringement possibilities, I won't include any fluff for the final codex. There's Lexicanum and Warhammer 40k wikia. Or in the end just buy the books that include the race.

Also, if it ends up being an old army list, I'll have to extrapolate from current codices or actually buy the old books or something. Plus I'll have to change some stats around to avoid being executed by GW's stormtroopers.

Here are the ideas I had for the project: Hrud, Enoulians, Nekulli, Loxatl, or the 13th Great Company from the Space Wolves. No I will not do a Lost and the Damned list. Why? Because there are many lists (unsurprisingly) out there already. Anything from the Vraksian Renegades to the Tempus Fugitives' LatD codex. Also since Cultists look like they'll be making a return, that'll be another source for LatD lists.

Ideas for vehicles, HQ's, what kind of elites they'd field, weapons, etc. Obviously I'll chime in with my own thoughts for rules and conversion ideas.

And away we go!

I want Enslavers, so that I can win EVERY game.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Occuli Imperator

I want squats, always.
    They looked so cool, their trikes made SM attack bikes look abit wallace & gromit. And they had shades on and big beards!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    I want squats, always.
    They looked so cool, their trikes made SM attack bikes look abit wallace & gromit. And they had shades on and big beards!
    Obviously, I came into the hobby long after Squats were gone, but I really like the idea of them!
    Dwarves with guns, in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!
    Last edited by Tzeentch's Dark Agent; 05-24-2012 at 02:13 AM.

Occuli Imperator

I feel old now

I'm 20, and started 9 years ago. Hahahaha! xD

S'alright dude, you're still a legend!

Veteran-Sergeant

I want my Salamanders back.

I miss my signums.....

Chaplain

From oop 40K: Lost & Damned - I liked playing an army of mismatched hordes of mutants, traitors, daemons and legionaires. also plague zombies where awesome in my eyes.

From 40K current: Chaos Marines - a codex that can represent anoy of the 9 legions either through wargear or actual rules. i want my Accursed Crozious back.

outside of 40K: Reapers - Cannibal Orks, Tyranid Brutes, Eldar Banshee, Human husks, tau Maruaders. I think it would be and awesome army to do. in current books i would possibly base it on Tyranids with a lot of restrictions.

how i would distinguish them;
    Husks = Hormagaunts
    Cannibals = Termagants
    Banshees = Zoanthropes
    Brutes = Carnifexs
    Harvester = Harpy
    Swarmers = Ripper Swarms
    Ravagers = Hive Guard
    Marauders = Warriors
    Scions =
    Abominations =
    Praetorians =
    Collectors = Gargoyles

and the races i would use;
    Available races
    Space marine (human but altered on a genetic level)
    Eldar
    Human
    Ork
    Tau
    Kroot
    Vespid
    Tyranid

Necron (not integrated but controlled through advanced virus)

Hrud
    Lacrymole
    Loxatl
    Megarachnid
    Q’orl
    Rak’Gol
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Which interests you the most? That's how you'll get the best results, if you're feeling passionate about 'em. The less humanoid races tend to be a bit more interesting (also, if you do Hrud, go for the "eldritch swamp monster" look over "spaceratsssss").

Loxatl could be interesting, especially if you draw upon the variety of imagery attached to salamanders in reality and legend. The real-world axolotl very rarely undergoes an ancient metamorphosis into a different form - perhaps Loxatl can rarely develop into a stronger form. Fire breathing types seem obvious. Salamanders are aquatic - perhaps some of their more exotic weapons can summon pools (represented by tokens) of their native water, enhancing nearby Loxatl while weakening enemies.

Chapter-Master

Squats!! I fought them a couple times when I first started, can't remember if they were still available to buy though.
    Damn hungry tyranids...

You'd be better having loxatl as 0-2 elites/fastattack choice for chaos, and possibly tau...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast