BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Alright guys, I 've been researching a lot of stuff since the last post. I have good news and bad news.

But first some response time.

@CrimsonTurkey- I don't really want to make a codex for something that's already out there. Genestealers are cool, but with that dex there, people can update it themselves.

Here's the Tempus Fugitves Exodite codex: [url]http://www.cold-moon.com/40k/40kRP/PDF/Alternate%20Codexes/Tempus%20Fugitives%20-%20Codex%20Exodites/Codex%20Exodites.pdf[/url]

I think it's an alright codex for the Exodites. I didn't really analyze it critically since I wouldn't play it. As for Astelan's army, aren't they Fallen Angels? Could use the upcoming Chaos Legions dex for them.

@wittdooley- swamp things. While I know people like the space rat concept (with Mantic's Veermyn out now they have models for that now), I think the Xenology art fits them better.

As for your list, I like that you're giving them that special rule. But really, how useful is Fleet for tactical marines? If you gave them an extra CC weapon then it'd be worth it. Remember, tacs are the core of any SM army. They need to be worth it, as only one rule of the 3 would work with them. Also, why digital weapons? I thought they were one time use.

@Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer- Wow, that's cool. Mind posting up the pics once you're done?

@Deadlift- Thanks! I really want the community's input on this one and it's only fair to return that same attention.

@MaltonNecromancer- I had a feeling you might have seen it already. Anyone who's ever wanted an AdMech army must've searched for a fandex for them. But it was still worth a shot posting the link, for others as well. I agree with you though. I don't really like the dex itself. It's a kitchen sink and complicated. If I did a dex for them, like I said, I'd base it on one cult within the AdMech.

Many alternate bitz companies include bionic parts, with one company even selling actual skitarii under a different name. If you want the links to these sites, just ask me. Right now I don't have time to find them, otherwise I would've posted them.

@LordGrise- I think that when the Tau update hits, there will be many more options for them. I doubt they'll remove Farsight from the dex. As far as my project is concerned, I don't know enough about Farsight to make a separate list for them. Not to mention potential copyright issues.

@inquisitorsog- Yep, if the Hrud win it out, I'd definitely do the not-space skaven versions. As for the squats, I really like the old school versions. They're dwarves in space! Who kick butt! But I do like the Demiurg concept as well. Problem is that they may be a part of the Tau codex. Also there isn't enough info on them concerning weapons and vehicles. I think there is some info on rank and ships, but the ships part doesn't help me. If you can provide me with links and more info, it would go a long way towards helping me.

Man, the Rak'Gol are so cool! I really wanted to do a fandex for them. But the price to make them is insane! Not to mention the level of customization. Man, I was so disappointed that it wouldn't be possible. Until I found out Defiance games was making a bug race for their game.

[url]http://defiancegames.com/index.php/shop#ecwid:category=1831053&mode=product&product=1 1889124[/url]

I believe these models are a perfect base for converting to Rak'Gol. So now they're back on the list! Yeah, baby! That is if people want them.

And for SM, I sort of agree. I really like the more unique chapters, but more SM codices doesn't appeal to me either. But if it's a fandex, why not? It's not like GW is making it, so I'd say it's fine for the fans do it themselves.

Ok guys time for bad news/good news.

For the Squats I have multiple ideas. Rules, vehicles, and weapons are all bouncing around in my head. I even found the original statlines for the squats. But then the realization comes to light. Cost. While buying GW's dwarf models is what others do, they just don't have a scifi feel. It would require extensive work and buying of round bases.

Now there's a solution to that problem. Olleys armies. The guy that runs that store made the original Squats for GW. Now he makes Scrunts (squats basically) for sale outside of GW's grasp. Hooray! But then sadness. The models are metal. I've worked with Noise Marine parts and I'm not thrilled about it. Filing can get dangerous due to metal dust going into the air. This means I need a proper work environment which I don't have. And the Scrunts still don't really match the design of the Squats. So it's a toss up as to whether the Squats are worth it at the moment.

Here's the link to Olleys armies: [url]http://www.olleysarmies.co.uk/home.html[/url]

So that's the news. I know it's centered around the squats, but they are still the most requested.

Now there are new additions. The Rak'Gol (which I love), Demiurg, and maybe AdMech and Genestealers.

I have an addition of my own. The L'Huraxi: [url]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/L%27Huraxi#.T7_ZhdxfEpp[/url] I think they sound great and ironically the summary conveys a lot in so few words. But there's still not enough to go on. If anyone can dig up more info, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone for contributing. Once we narrow it down to the races that can realistically get a codex, I'll make another thread with a poll to decide and discuss. But that's still a few more pages of this thread away before we get to that point.

Edit: I found this guy's blog where he created a bunch of models already for some of the races suggested. This is both good and bad. Good because you guys have a source for Xenos alternatives. Bad because he did a bunch of fluff for those races and I don't really want to neither make something that contradicts what he's done nor base it of off his stuff. Fortunately, he doesn't cover our whole list, so there's room for us.

[url]http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=158&efcid=3&efidt=28 2950[/url]
    Last edited by Black Hydra; 05-25-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Hydra View Post
    @wittdoley- swamp things. While I know people like the space rat concept (with Mantic's Veermyn out now they have models for that now), I think the Xenology art fits them better.

As for your list, I like that you're giving them that special rule. But really, how useful is Fleet for tactical marines? If you gave them an extra CC weapon then it'd be worth it. Remember, tacs are the core of any SM army. They need to be worth it, as only one rule of the 3 would work with them. Also, why digital weapons? I thought they were one time use.
    My thought was that you'd selectively dole out out your rules to the unit that needed them. Fleet could be really useful to assault marines, for instance.

As for digital weapons -- They're "supposed" to represent bionic type weapons that the model has (think Yarrick's Bale Eye), which is something the Iron Hands would potentially have. The rule, unless I'm wrong, allows you to reroll 1 wound per turn with the weapon. My thoughts were that it could be useful to tac squads, who are more likely than not going to hit with their bolters, but not always as likely to wound.

Again, bear in mind that these were quick shots at things that, to me, represented the Iron Hands. I need to think of some other special type rule that represents the Chapter's Clan Structure, which is much more similar to the Space Wolves organization than it is to any Codex Astartes stuff.

www.queencityguard.com

Chaplain

@wittdooley- Alright I see your logic. While I don't think Fleet is completely useful for SM, the other 2 are good enough. I'll wait to see what else you come up with and how the balance ends up being.

I miss Squats. I'd love to see a Squats codex.

Veteran-Sergeant

I would want rhe Barghisi mention in the AOBR book with the planet map

Ok, how about this? I took a break from 40k during part of 3rd and all of 4th edition. My recollection of Solar Macharius was that he was just disappeared during a hyperspace jump and I always thought there was some potential to bring him back. There was (and still is) a model and a statline for him although I believe the latter has been eradicated. I was surprised to learn that in my absence the powers that be decided to kill him off definitively but I still think there is some potential there. What if the original story of his vanishing were considered true. Now, consider what would happen if he did come back and he did not like what he saw in the Imperium? Also, in addition to parts of his original army, he also has some cool new alien allies that he has acquired during his hiatus. In short, he wants to restore the Imperium of man to what he thinks it's proper place is. Of course the fact that maybe he has gone a little off the deep end during his absence should not have any bearing on his point of view...

I think it would be cool to have a faction of humans (with some alien auxillaries) that were enemies to the Imperium but not necessarily connected to CHAOS.

my two cents

btw, my vote for who Solar's alien allies should be is Wookies

Chaplain

@aznthecapn- I hear ya. If it turns out being squats, I'll be able to come up with something for them. Just not models any time soon. Well maybe within this summer. Depends on how much money I'm able to scrounge up. The only thing that concerns me is keeping the aesthetic of the squats.

@commissar camenzuli- I posted a link to a guy's blog in which he has shown his barghesi models. He also wrote extensively on them. If the majority of you don't like that interpretation and really want barghesi, I'll still consider them. I'll have to make up my own version (which is fine since that's the point).

@Admiral Kenaris- I once thought about making an alternate human army. Either by making a fandex on one of the lost legions (2nd and 11th) or by making one for the many non-Imperium human nations. The Interex, Sixty-Three-Nineteen humans, and the Auretian Technocracy are all great candidates if they weren't gone....

But enough of that. On to your suggestion. I really like Macharius' story but he unfortunately died an old man from what I hear. And it seems that with 6th ed around the corner, the Imperium (according to fluff rumors which are terrible) will be fractured anyway. I don't know. If you guys want an alternate human army I'll definitely add it to the list. But I don't think an alternate Imperium army would be the best course. Instead how about a Gue'vesa army. That could include xenos.

A "Tau Auxiliaries" list (with options to include them in a normal Tau list) could be pretty fun, Gue'vesa, Demiurg, Tallerians, Nicassar etc. Maybe give it a Foreign Legion/dirty dozen kinda vibe, quirky Tau leaders and specialized equipment/vehicles designed to be used by the auxiliaries (Assault skimmers, a vibro-blade based off of Pulse-tech).

Chaplain

@Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer- If I remember correctly the Tempus Fugitives already made a Tau auxiliaries codex. But it really doesn't focus on one race but options for all of them. The Gue'vesa fandex would focus on the humans with some xenos support. Basically the Imperium if they would just admit they love xenos.

Chaplain

I agree, bring back squats. I used to love the models, trikes and all that, i still have some in my bits box all these years.
    Hey we already have space elves, space orcs, space marines, space dark elves, so why not Space Dwarfs again.

Secondly i know but i actually think Salamanders should have gotten a better update, hey if they plan to do BT then Salamanders should too.
    That said, how about actually giving SoB a real codex, miniatures and some actual love from GW, that half as$ed attempt of a WD dex was'nt worth the ink or space in two WD's.

But thats just me.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast