BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Avengers

Default The Avengers

So last night I saw The Avengers, or whatever they are calling it here in Britain (The Marvellous Assembling Miraculous Avenging Avengers* or something).

Is it just me or are superhero films getting better? I'm told Iron Man 1&2 and Thor which are sort of prequels to this are also quite good, so I may have to watch them. Used to be superhero films were awful, and I'm not even particularly fond of the rebooted Batman films. Also nice to see Joss Whedon do something really good after the flop of Dollhouse.

One of my favourite aspects was the Whedon touch to the female characters. Very tough, very smart, but not *****y. So refreshing. I liked Black Widow, I approve of semi Russian violent, intelligent independent women.

Also, really proud of myself for recognising Stan Lee's cameo at the end. /nerdsmug

Giving it 4 out of 5. What did everyone else think of it?

*Marvels Avengers Assemble apparently.
    Last edited by eldargal; 05-08-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Yep, I can confirm that it is a great film over here in Britain too, though most of us just call it The Avengers.
    All of the films relating to it are brilliant, Iron Man probably moreso than the others. I just love Tony Stark and think that Robert Downey Jr plays him really well.

5/5 in my opinion, can't find a fault with the film.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Its just so god damn good

(And I happen to like Dollhouse, even if the ending was a bit rushed)

I wanna see it again. Also I must say Mark Ruffalo is actually an excellent Hulk/Bruce Banner
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Yes I just call it the Avengers, so did everyone else at the cinema. I really don't see how renaming it to avoid confusion with a 1960s tv show was really necessary. So silly.

I was actually really surprised by Thor most of all. As I said I haven't seen the other films and I was expecting that particular character to be utterly revolting, as it so easily could have been. The actor chap played him extremely well though. The same applies to Captain America, though to a lesser extent. Could have been revolting, was very good, very understated.

I'm not giving it more than 4 because something just failed to grab me, not sure what. Could have been anything from the volume in the cinema being a bit low (not annoyingly low, just lacking the explosion vibration resonaty effect thing) or it could be that I just missed a lot of the excitement as I knew next to nothing about the characters. Certainly an excellent film though, and downright superb for a superhero film.

I didn't dislike Dollhouse, it just didn't excite me like Buffy or Firefly did. Then it got cancelled so I consider it a flop. Firefly wasn't because it was utterly brilliant and got turned into a film.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

I've enjoyed them all, even Ed Norton's Hulk. I thought Avengers was really top draw and am looking forward to more.

Robert Downey Jnr is always great value, and Mark Ruffalo made me forget all about Norton.
    If you haven't seen the Iron Mans then I really think you are missing out. Check out Sam Rockwell in Iron Man 2.

By the way, Thor 2 is crewing up now, and Iron Man 3 is following soon.

Chapter-Master

Iron Man 3 starts shooting in about 2 months

Mark Ruffalo signed a 5 film contract with Marvel last month, but won't have another Hulk film till 2015, so will likely show up in other films

I've been looking forward to the Avengers since the ending of Iron Man 1. I'm very glad to have got their (although the Aero engineer in me dies looking at the Heliport flying....not physically possible)

Its a good year for superhero films. Avengers, the new Spiderman actually looks really good, and then the last of Nolans Batmans...

I know people who have seen it more than 4 times already. Joss Whedon is now busy mocking the FOX execs who canceled every show he's ever done.

But the ******* did (spoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerPHILspo ilerspoiler) but since (spoiler)ing characters is a think with him I kind of saw it coming.

Also, I want shawarma. There seems to be only 1 place in town for it.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Chapter-Master

I went into that film knowing someone would die

Its a Joss Whedon production. Someone ALWAYS dies. Firefly, Dollhouse even Doctor Horrible. Someone always dies....

Chapter-Master

One of the first films in a long while (other than maybe Toy Story 3) that everyone in the cinema laughed at. Maybe that's just where I am. Deffinitely enjoyed the character development from the previous Marvel films. I'm a HUGE Irom Man fan and Robert Downey Jnr certainly didn't dissapoint, yet again.

And yes, Joss Whedon killing someone off was always going to be predictable. Just glad it wasn't anyone I was expecting lol.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

When will someone get around to telling Tom Hiddleston that he's really not Loki?

While we're at it, someone tell Tony Stark he's really Robert Downey Jr.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast