BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    Shifting the weapons about like that would detract from the helicopter gunship vibe of the whole thing, though (one weapon pod either side and a chin-turret). But to each his own.
    I guess so, but for me, the helicopter-feel of the model was thrown off from the beginning by just how big and chunky those guns are! I never really realized it until GWs started making small-scale aircraft (not counting hovercraft), but the vehicle-based weapons are so huge and chunky. Feels weird on a small flyer. I'd probably like the Stormtalon more if its weapons were more the size of Devastator/Terminator weapons.
    Last edited by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer; 05-27-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Chaplain

I was looking at the new WD yesterday, and I think it would do wonders for the Stormtalon if you removed the engines from the sides of the fuselage, added wings bulked up with plasticard, then mounted the thrusters on the ends of the wings for more of an Osprey-esque look.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by The AKH View Post
    I was looking at the new WD yesterday, and I think it would do wonders for the Stormtalon if you removed the engines from the sides of the fuselage, added wings bulked up with plasticard, then mounted the thrusters on the ends of the wings for more of an Osprey-esque look.
    i can see where thats going,and that would look really nice

also the lack of complaints about the wee antenna things on the top is surprising :P
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by flekkzo View Post
    Rip off wings, add helicopter rotors, done.
    and that box on the top of it would be a good place to add a rotor blade.

for me i don't particulally like the idea of space marines having all these gunships. I'm stuck in the concept of them having only drop pods and thunderhawks are their aerial/orbital transport while the imperial navy took care of the air support. the whole thing feels forced, but thats just me.
    Last edited by The Madman; 05-28-2012 at 01:00 AM.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post

-fuzz
    well that just about makes the new flying brick look at least semi cool.

why they put that rediculously hideous and gigantic turret there on the bottom is anyones guess.

but i've said it before (think it was in the relese pic thread) if you used the raven wing kit and used the assault cannons from that you could have a cool nose mount cannon without the bulk and the stupid landing gear, then just mount the secondary guns to the hull with magnets on the mountings so you can swich out weapons

i do think rotors would be a bad idea, keep the 'simple' 20th century tech to the greenskins.

while i love the VTOL aspect i just hope a revised Vyper is in the works with the 'pop up' rules again, thats why they were cool in the 1st place.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

the gun was probably put under the chin to tie the model in with the basic concept of the havoc gunship

Librarian

i dont have a problem with the chin mount, infact if BA can use the storm budgie i may get one
    i would use ravenwing assault cannons though

but my problem is the size of the guns and its mounting.
    i dont get GW inconsistency with their guns, a termi can carry an assault cannon, a land speeder can have one and is obviously upscaled slightly as you would imagine it has slightly different mountings and internals since it is fired differently, but then you get to tank/flier based assault cannons and they are HUGE (and its only the assault cannons that are liike this, bolters/melets/plasmas all seem to scale ok)

oh yeah, if you know the origins of my avatar, then you will follow this
    as was mentioned when they were leaked, the 'new' storm budgie looks remarkably simmilar to an old GI JOE/COBRA toy the 'sky hawk' and cobra VTOL

[url]http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/86/dreadnokairassault/airassault_right.jpg[/url]
    Last edited by Cpt Codpiece; 05-28-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

they have two models of assualt cannon, the old chunky as big one. and the newer sleeker one. why they used the old one on the flyers I have no idea but oh well.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    they have two models of assualt cannon, the old chunky as big one. and the newer sleeker one. why they used the old one on the flyers I have no idea but oh well.
    Big Guns! Roar!
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Brother-Captain

That's a good concept Fuzzbukket, it's a major improvement over the stock model. I actually really like that dual weapon setup, although attack chopper-like turrets are always fun to have. It does seem nigh on impossible to translate that weapon loadout to something that actually looks cool.
    Personally I'd enlarge the tail section and change the vertical rudder. That useless large tail on the bottom just looks as silly as it did on the Stormraven. And they could've come up with a better turret design as well, even just a single AC would look a lot sleeker and attack chopper-like. That dual mounted thing just clunky and waaaay to big.
    And personally I'd try to add a static wing section between the fuselage and the engine pods. Somewhat a mix between the wings of KA-52 and the rotating pods of an Osprey.
    Blood Angels Army Project
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12017

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast