BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Avatars of War: Dwarf Army Project

Seems AoW have started up a pseudo-kickstarter project on Indiegogo to fund the creation of a full Dwarf Army for their forthcoming Warthrone miniatures battle game. Looks rather interesting and it seems that even if this doesn't work out, a whole load of dwarves are coming from them from August 2012 through to Jan 2013 anyway, but they have plans for some cool units that they would like to make in addition (including an all female regiment and a unit of War Bears!) More info can be found [URL="http://www.indiegogo.com/aow-dwarfs"]here.[/URL]
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Chapter-Master

This seems like a great idea, you get to help fund the army and get stuff in return. And for those with bags of cash just taking up space at home you can get some fantastic perks. I won't be investing as I don;t really want any dwarfs, but if they do a project like this in future for an army I like, I'll definitely stump up some cash.

One question though, how secure is this Indiegogo? I've never heard of it, so how secure is your investment? Would you get your money back if for whatever reason AoW doesn't deliver the goods?
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Captain

From what I can tell Indiegogo is exactly like Kickstarter which is pretty good. If a project doesn't meet it's minimum funding levels ($20k in this case) then nobody pays anything. Whether it is as good as Kickstarter is an open question, crowdsourcing is fast becoming the in-vogue way to fund projects and bypass traditional venture capitalists but I am a bit dubious about a site that has so blatantly copied another site. I do wonder why AoW didn't just use Kickstarter for this, as they have by far the better name recognition.

I have no interest in Dwarves either, but I'll follow this project with interest to see how it goes, as if they make a success of it, it's likely they will use it again for other armies/projects in the future, some of which might be more my thing.

As for AoW though, considering they have yet to be able to up production of their Warcast resin/plastic minis enough to put the Warriors of Apocalypse box sets in retail stores (they are still only available via their own web store), I cannot help but wonder if they are not biting off more than they can handle with adding an armies worth of additional sets to their workload in the next 7 months.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

I might donate a little, jsut to encourage them to do the same wwith Dark Elves one day.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

Seems to be doing okay, the total is at $2,395 at the time of writing, which means they've already passed their first goal. 29 days left to go to hit their $20k goal.

Up 500 since I last checked this morning.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

Hmmm considering backing this myself now, as while I have little interest in Dwarves as an army, someone on the AoW forums feels the same way and asked if instead of Dwarves, he could take his pledge reward regiment boxes in Warriors of the Apocalypse regiments instead. Felix replied to say that that would be okay. Been tempted by their Apoc Warrior boxes for a while now... my piggybanks days might be numbered!

The drive is going well it seems, up by $800 in the last day to a total now of $3,275 with 28 days still to go.

5960 of the 20k minimum to receive funding with 26 days left to go, looks like it will make it. I'm conflicted. I don't really any more Dwarves, nor am I interested in their current Chaos warriors (apparently they will let you take them instead of Dwarves for pledges if you like). But I do want this kickstarter thing to succeed so they will do more. I'd pledge a heck of a lot of they did one for a high female army like their Dark/High Elves.

Chapter-Master

I have no need for the dwarves either, but I really want this to succeed. Which is why im sad it's not on Kick Starter. I think it will fund at the minimum but these guys do such good work I want it to fund more than just the minimum.

Still, I'll probably plunge for $100 or so just because their models are so good.

www.queencityguard.com

Someone on Warseer said as a non-US company they aren't eligible for Kickstarter, so bit of a shame. I'm thinking I might just pledge one hundred or something too, like you I really want it to succeed. Just a shame they didn't have an Elf regiment already available or something.

Edit: I'd love to see the Valkyries go into production I have to admit, but 48500 is a loong way off.
    Last edited by eldargal; 06-03-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast