BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default 40K in a Nutshell or What the H*ll do I do now?

here is a quick look at the SM, Tau, and Ork codexes for the beginner.

[url]http://www.tomahawc.com/Tactics/review_SM_tau_orks.html[/url]

You need to do something with the formatting. The wall of text looks too unappealing to read.

I have to say that the Wall of Text is Unreadable I tried but did not what I did read was ok but format a lil

Librarian

Everyone else has managed The Wall, so on to point two: your info is just TOO GENERIC. And often flat wrong. Dismissing Tau is something that is only being done by WAAC Grey Knight players, they have trouble but it is still quite possible to make a winning Tau list if your opponent isn't playing some mathematically perfect power armor formula. It would be great to know where the particular strengths of Codex Space Marines is over the other options, and why Tau might be outclassed by Dark Eldar in mobile anti-tank firepower.

Battle-Brother

so true on the format, thanks for pointing that out. i've put a quick fix to it until i have some real time to work on it. As for the article itself, it is only a light view of the three codexes in the eye of Ntimitbrutality.

work on the formatting and on your background... i have a migraine reading your text

I leked it but had to copy/paste it to read it!

Whatever guy. Tau are Tau. You're welcome to your opinion. Meh. Don't like em? Don't play em.

However I'd say you lightly brushed their capabilities for having such an outdated codex...Thank the maker we don't have the 'phase out' rule that the necrons had before the new book, but I don't really see anything good or practical coming from a new codex (thanks GW), but maybe 6th edition will not make them suck so badly on the battlefield.

Changes I'd like to see? Standard fare. Nothing new to the rumor mongers: Drones don't count against morale check and loss %'s, stealth suits with stealth USR (perhaps count as troops choices with more wargear and weapon options), a couple of cheesy HQ options (probably anti-deepstrike or anti-assault -1 initiative to enemy causing wargear, kroot with unlockable USR's that make them not so squishy, Power weapon options for XV suits, more xv suit variants, etc. etc. etc.

Only time will tell.

Oh, and I forgot...IMO, SM are the bumper bowling of 40k. There is no inherent risk when playing vanilla marines. You can be a terrible player and tactician and still manage to come out with a reasonable choc of wins...most likely because you have the best of everything right out of the box as compared to Guard or lesser equivalents.

Just my opinion, but marines are what most people start out with because they are easy to master and play well with minimal risk of catastrophic failure. Ie. You have a lot of wiggle room for failure and can loose the bulk of your forces and still reasonably pull out a win against a larger force, ala 100 master chiefs serving a corpse on terra = 3+ on most everything you'll face in shooting or close combat.