BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Xas View Post
    I've heard that hormagaunts will be 6 points without additional biomarphs and normal gaunts 3 without weapons but including WON (meaning they get 1 point cheaper and get won for free). hormagaunts can buy WON for the same cost as termigaunts can do now.

warriors can be taken in every slot. normally you can take them as HQ/elite as now. wings make them FA, a tyrant as a HQ (maybe a higher tiered one?) makes them troops, heavy support have +1t, +1sv and each can take a "heavy" weapon.

stealers are going to be elite unless you take a broodlord (who can supposedly be upgraded much more than the current one.).

one of the new HQs is said to allow ripper swars to controll objectives (malantrope?).

tyranids have supposedly got ahold of an alpha+ level psyker and integrated his DNA into the swarm meaning they will have about as many psychic powers to choose from as space marines (and they are all assumed to "make world wolf look like a child's game").

take from this what you like but I've heard it from a nid-nut who runs a GW store. imho especially the thing about ndis beeing ubar-psyker seams odd but would tune in with all the anti-psyker gear the wolves got. maybe they will need it?

dispelling every psychic pwoer on 4+ isnt that ridiculous if each one not dispelled costs you a whole squad...

maybe the change the malanetropes fluff to also be a super-zoa?
    Sounds like a BIG serve of Codex Creep to me LoL
    Regards Barry H. "the Emperor Protects!"

With what looks to be a huge amount of new Heavy Support options introduced alongside the already trusty Carnifex, I sincerely hope they finally move Zoanthropes out of Heavy Support - great units, but sometimes you can really hurt yourself by taking a slot for them, especially if you only want one. Elites seem more suitable to me.

Veteran-Sergeant

The Basic Gaunts all have without number and that is it. For 3 points that is a bagain
    No this world is theirs!

I am not going to say there is Codex Creep since we do not really know anything for sure yet. On the surface, Without Number sounds pretty awesome but who is to say the rule is not slightly modified? I am not a Nid player so I don't recall if this is exactly correct or not but doesn't Without Number currently say that an entire squad has to be destroyed and then that squad walks back onto the table from the edge? For Termagants that doesn't sound so bad. If you take a large brood, they all have to be cut down. This gives up a VP/KP. They then walk back on from the controlling players edge. They are not as fast as Hormagaunts and do not have the range of heavy weapons. I'm not terribly worried about them especially when the Devil Dog, Punisher, and templates in general have the potential to really hurt those squads. Hormagaunts or Gargoyles, on the other hand, could become pretty nasty with Without Number. An eternal tarpit brood that leaps and bounds across the table or flies into the enemy lines. Even if the unit just charges the biggest, nastiest thing on the table and ties it up for one round before being killed, they come back and can do it again in a couple of rounds. All they would have to do is tie up a vital unit and they have served a great purpose holding that uber squad in place until the heavy hitters can get in close enough to take their swings.

Besides, if the Termagants come with no weapons for their cost then we could guess that a Fleshborer, Spike Rifle, Spinefist, or whatever else they have will push them up to about the same cost as a Guardsman or Ork Boy. Probably a point or two more since they have a special rule included. Due to their stat line, though, they may be only the same cost. Since the rule does not work like the Guard's Send in the Next Wave, the unit has to be wiped out before the copy enters play. That could work both ways depending on which side charges and which units are involved in the assault.

But perhaps they have thought of the possible uses of the rule and have changed it slightly. I do not have any inside information so this is entirely conjecture but what if the rule is altered? Perhaps the unit that comes back onto the table is a bare bones squad. No weapons, just basic Termagants that were not modified for the battle and are fresh from the birthing pools (or the equivalent)? It would pretty much require a player to have extra models without any mods so I doubt this will be the case but who knows?

Also, having more options is great, I think. Perhaps some units are exclusive to certain builds? Taking a Hive Tyrant precludes the use of a Malanthrope or vice versa. If a Malanthrope is fielded Zoanthropes could count as Elite and Heavy or something. I am sure there will be some really cool stuff in the new Dex and probably some of it will seem cheesy at first glance but I think all of the recent Codicii will cope with it just fine.

Maybe the new Codicii are even being put together with an idea for changing the game dynamic in mind? Notice all of the vehicles that started showing up? Everyone decides melta is the new orange and dumps plasma to the side. Everyone decides Vulkan is the new orange and starts building to fight that. Lash was the color du jour and everyone got into vehicles. With three possible horde armies, plasma is a better choice than melta because it offers more shots. I think the only thing that has not changed is that missile launchers that can fire frag and krak are useful and that IG mortars still do what they have always done. All of the other list options go in spurts. A few years back, no one used Rhinos or Chimeras very much. No one used flamers because they had plasma. No one uses plasma because they have melta. At one time when hordes were the in thing, everyone I saw had heavy bolters and assault cannons. I think it might be a good thing to have another good horde option around to make folks mix up their lists a bit. If you only have six units on the tabletop and they can only kill a couple of models a round and the squads being carried inside can only kill a handful of models a round with all of their meltas and fists, they will get swarmed. If you overboard on anti-infantry, you will wipe the table against the horde but might not be able to hurt their big guns reliably, or at all. It just seems to me that the pendulum swings back and forth. Elite Marine armies have loads of power but it is concentrated into a handful of units or models. Line armies have decent power spread throughout and their big guns usually are glass cannons or are restrictive in some way.

I am looking forward to the new Wolves and Nids Codicii not because I play them but because I know people who do play them. I got new goodies with my Chaos Marines and Guard armies and now it is their turn. That's the way of the world. Have fun and remember, no matter what army or Codex you play for or against, any other army can beat any other army on any given day. It comes down to using your build effectively and the luck of the dice. Unless money is on the table, it is just a game. Enjoy your couple of hours and blast the crud out of these new bugs.

RG you basically nailed why WON isnt worth it atm on anything but a minmalistic squad.

gaunts have short ranged weapons (12") and come from your table edge once you manage to get them killed. on a big brood this means you are getting your unit back prolly soon turn3 or late turn 5.

add the fact that they shurely will stillr equire synapse and you can neutralize them quite well.

Firstly i think thats a great way to play the game roguegaxoe (sos if spelt incorrectly i fail my gcse english)
    i think if the nids get 3 point gaunts wthout weapons it won't be two bad i mean there not hard to killl and yes the could tie up your nob bikers for a turn but in all fair ness it willl be enterinaing to see what units can kill the most gaunts in combat
    i like the idea of moiving zoe's to elite but if warriors r all that willl people play them and will they go to elite not troops like death dread for orks when u take a type of HQ like the ork big mek we r meantto be geting highly powerful psykers maybe a super/alpha zoe
    hopfullly they take away the 0-1 rules on everything i mean the wiged tryants , broodlord , zoe's and boveroes are all got that rule
    me i going to go for a mix swarm get tons of gaunts warriors genstaellers and carfex to make sure my enmey has 7 things to worry about
    btw i kie the new front cover but my freind thinks the last one was better whats your oppion
    just my 2 cent

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. Is it 3 points including any sort of equipment, or is it 3 points without a gun of any kind? I've heard that you don't get a gun with it, but I'd like to hear it from you, if you don't mind.
    Pretty sure (95%) it's with no gun, not even a Fleshborer, which is only a point. However, WoN makes it all worthwhile. That said...Hormagaunts will be able to get WoN, and should be <12 points with it, IIRC.

Who cares about other options with that?

EDIT: RogueGarou:

Yes and no. Plasma won't help against 4/5 point Gaunts. However, it is NO COINCIDENCE that SW Dreads come with Assault Cannons as standard...

EDIT2: Confirmed by Phil Kelly today at Games Day that it will be out earlier than anticipated, in January instead of Feb.
    Last edited by TheKingElessar; 09-27-2009 at 04:06 PM.
    Opinions are like aresholes. Get yours outta my face.. MindWar FTW. Bald and Screaming. Couple others...;) Learn something.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yeah, wasn't quite sure why a multi-melta of all things became a Dreadnought's basic armament... probably something to do with that silly Assault on Black Reach box. :P

I wonder if Without Number will work in a more sane manner? I think I read somewhere (it could've even been someone's house rules) that the new Without Number simply added D6 models back to a squad at the beginning of the controlling player's turn, and that the unit could never increase beyond its initial starting number of models with this ability.

Maybe that was Revelations' idea from Heresy... hm.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
    I wonder if Without Number will work in a more sane manner? I think I read somewhere (it could've even been someone's house rules) that the new Without Number simply added D6 models back to a squad at the beginning of the controlling player's turn, and that the unit could never increase beyond its initial starting number of models with this ability.

Maybe that was Revelations' idea from Heresy... hm.
    Sounds familiar from somewhere indeed.
    Hopefully there is some sort of a catch with them 3 pts gaunts that puts them on the level with Grots, as they should be for those points

Sounds pretty neat. I dont play 'nids but a good friend of mine does so I face off with them quite a bit. I'm excited to see the new units and minis tho for this and I think people should really wait and see instead of going into "OMFG new codex! its OP! I'm soooo screwed! Damn you GW!". I wouldn't say that any of the codex's that have been released in the 4 years I've been playing have been unstoppable and broken. Rather I'd say that they have been pretty good and balanced (ok except DA, poor guys). They seem to kinda run on a system of trial and error with codex's (storm shields getting a pts boost in C:SW ect ect).
    letsagetabitarockin!

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast