BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Don't know who to start

So I want to get started with Warmachine and Hordes but I guess I am not too sure on who to start.

I have narrowed it down to Legion of Everblight, Retribution and Cygnar. I think I really want to go with Legion to start and do Retribution next year. My question is, are Legion at least entertaining? I know it might take some time to get used to them but will they be a fun army to start?

Also how many points can I play with the starter box and how easily is it to get to 25 points?

Oh the Legion is certainly quite fun to play, and if they are the ones who appeal to you the most, then by all means give them a shot! They kind of have a steep learning curve, but then all the factions do really so thats not new

For practical consideration, the starter set is 11 points, so getting to 25 is a cinch. Speaking personally, I would probably shoot for one more beast (recommend a Seraphim or one of the Nephilim), and then a unit of infantry (recommend either Striders or Hex Hunters) and maybe a solo if you like (probably a Forsaken or a Shepherd)

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by mikethefish View Post
    Oh the Legion is certainly quite fun to play, and if they are the ones who appeal to you the most, then by all means give them a shot! They kind of have a steep learning curve, but then all the factions do really so thats not new

For practical consideration, the starter set is 11 points, so getting to 25 is a cinch. Speaking personally, I would probably shoot for one more beast (recommend a Seraphim or one of the Nephilim), and then a unit of infantry (recommend either Striders or Hex Hunters) and maybe a solo if you like (probably a Forsaken or a Shepherd)
    I was also thinking of getting Angelius and the Blighted Swordsmen, would that not be recommended.

Also the Forsaken unit just looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by celestialatc View Post
    I was also thinking of getting Angelius and the Blighted Swordsmen, would that not be recommended.

Also the Forsaken unit just looks awesome.
    Angelius is definitely a good beast to have. It's cheaper (points-wise) than the Carnivean, fast, and has a nasty armor-piercing attack.

The Blighted Swordsmen are very good too. They're not as sexy as some of the other infantry (no stealth or pathfinder), but they're fearless and hit plenty hard.

Chapter-Master

Spesh mahreens for teh empera!!!
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    Spesh mahreens for teh empera!!!
    I know I feel like I am betraying my GK, CSM and Eldar but I just see so many people having fun in the WarMachine/Hordes world and I want a piece of it!

So who would you all recommend for a Warlock for a beginner? Is Lylyth a great starting Warlock and just wait a few games until I am comfortable with her to try others?
    Last edited by celestialatc; 05-30-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Chapter-Master

Do you have the starter box?

www.queencityguard.com

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Do you have the starter box?
    Just about to order it.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by celestialatc View Post
    Just about to order it.
    Let me save you some money; I got a Legion starter at adepticon. I have no plans on EVERY playing the faction. I'd like to keep Lylth to paint her, but you're welcome to the Carnifex and the Shredders.

PM me your mailing addy and I'll ship em out to you, and then you can chose whatever 'lock you'd like.

www.queencityguard.com

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Let me save you some money; I got a Legion starter at adepticon. I have no plans on EVERY playing the faction. I'd like to keep Lylth to paint her, but you're welcome to the Carnifex and the Shredders.

PM me your mailing addy and I'll ship em out to you, and then you can chose whatever 'lock you'd like.
    Wow, thanks Wittdooley! I sent you a PM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast