BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 40k and battle reenactments?

At work, I had a thought:

what if we used our 40k minis to re-enact the battles of yesterday? from WW1 to the Battle of the alamo, to the civil war? and how would we do it?

would we use the troop strengths of each side, and their approximate numbers? would we need to sub in vehicles to bridge the gap for troop strength?

Personally, I think it would be loads of fun to have say.. the war of 1812 play out again on the tabletop. what do you guys think? and how would you pull it off?

Hm... Guard vs. Guard. US army and a few otherw would be Veterans, most would be infantry squads, and then some countries would be like conscripts. I guess D day could be a bunch of Chimera Vets (amphibeous!) as US forces against a bunch of Heavy Weapon Teams in cover?

I am actually gonna organize an Apocalypse game at my local game store later this summer. The theme of the game is going to be a fortress assault game inspired by the WWI battle of Verdun. Verdun was a fortress city in France protected by a number of forts, one of which being Fort Vaux. I'm gonna combine a bunch of bastion kits into one massive super fort piece of terrain. While not aiming to create a diorama of the actual battle, trench warfare and lots of foot sloggers will be a theme. Should be a good time.

Default Damocles Gulf Crusade

I'd like to see the Damocles gulf crusade as a campaign. Might be fun. Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by Panxer View Post
    I'd like to see the Damocles gulf crusade as a campaign. Might be fun. Bleh.
    no no no, i'm not talking about re-enactments from the fluff in the core book. i'm talking about actual wars that you'd find in the history books.

kenaris: let us know how it goes.

Chapter-Master

It's been done, rOrks drift, the stalingrad like campaign, d-day style landings in chimeras, and i'm sure i remember reading am arnheim style campaign too...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Veteran-Sergeant

I would love to see a D Day beach landing mission. Have a heavy entreached defending force on one side and a no mans land the attackers have to go though. Limit the amount of armour the attackers get as well, but give them more points to buy infantry with. .

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    It's been done, rOrks drift, the stalingrad like campaign, d-day style landings in chimeras, and i'm sure i remember reading am arnheim style campaign too...
    I was about to say something along those lines myself.

The reality is that 40k draws heavily on reality.

It's actually one of my pet peeves that there's not enough of what I think of as scenario play unless you're in an area that is fortunate enough to have a wargaming club that exists apart from the FLGS and GWS environment. I've all but stopped gaming b/c I got tired of just "come as you are" battles... I'm almost strictly a hobbyist, reader, and forum lurker now.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Librarian

Could be fun. Certainly historical battles are good inspiration for 40k campaigns. Historical miniature games (Flames of War, Fire & Fury) are also plenty of fun in and of themselves too.

Banned

I believe my LGS is doing something like that this Wednesday.

Something to do with a reenactment of some massive invasion or something in the past...

And we already have the FoW terrain already set up. The owner and main operator are ex-military, so they like to do stuff like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast