BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Mercs in Infinity

Hello guys, I've been reading the Rules Book and I'm a little confused on the rules for the Mercenary army.
    Here it goes; You can make an Merc army adding troops from three different factions ( Ex. PanO, Arei...whatever and a third ) right?
    But my main question is, can you make , let's say a PanO army and add a merc or two?

Please let me know.
    Thanks

Brother G
    *Remember Rynns*
    "The Emperor Protects"

Chapter-Master

IIRC...

Mercs are considered balanced for casual play, but not tournament play. Anyone who won't let you play them in a friendly game is a dick, pretty much, but for some reason CB won't put the official stamp on them. In that, I guess, they're kind of like Forgeworld stuff for 40k.

I also believe you can take mercs in armies composed mostly of other factions. That's ok. But also not considered tournament balanced.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    IIRC...

Mercs are considered balanced for casual play, but not tournament play. Anyone who won't let you play them in a friendly game is a dick, pretty much, but for some reason CB won't put the official stamp on them. In that, I guess, they're kind of like Forgeworld stuff for 40k.

I also believe you can take mercs in armies composed mostly of other factions. That's ok. But also not considered tournament balanced.

That's how I feel, and also what I'm trying to find out. I'll like to field my PanO army with one or two Mercs to fill gaps. I think it should be awesome.
    In the rules book it only mentions that you can make a merc army and add troops from up to three other factions. Why not the other way around?

Brother G
    *Remember Rynns*
    "The Emperor Protects"

First-Captain

For casual play, you can do mercs one of two ways:

1). Make a normal army (IE Nomads, or Pan O, or Yu Jing,etc) and the you can take mercs with their given Availability. (EG 2 Druze, Señor Massacre, etc.)

Or

2) Make an all merc army. Choose up to three factions to select models from. The Availability is halved (rounding down) and you cannot take non-merc character models. (EG you can't take Joan of Arc) You may choose one Availability 1 option per 200 points of your force. (EG you want to add an Aquila Guard) This does not allow you to "add" 1 to the Availability of an already accessible choice. This is meant to allow you to add special options to your list.

CB has disallowed use of mercs in their tournament play as they have stated the armies are balanced with each other, and mercs would skew that. There some sectorial armies that allow mercs, but the argument swings back and forth about their ability to be used in a tourney.

Hope that helps, and welcome to Infinity!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    For casual play, you can do mercs one of two ways:

1). Make a normal army (IE Nomads, or Pan O, or Yu Jing,etc) and the you can take mercs with their given Availability. (EG 2 Druze, Señor Massacre, etc.)

Or

2) Make an all merc army. Choose up to three factions to select models from. The Availability is halved (rounding down) and you cannot take non-merc character models. (EG you can't take Joan of Arc) You may choose one Availability 1 option per 200 points of your force. (EG you want to add an Aquila Guard) This does not allow you to "add" 1 to the Availability of an already accessible choice. This is meant to allow you to add special options to your list.

CB has disallowed use of mercs in their tournament play as they have stated the armies are balanced with each other, and mercs would skew that. There some sectorial armies that allow mercs, but the argument swings back and forth about their ability to be used in a tourney.

Hope that helps, and welcome to Infinity!

Well that actually helps a lot and thx for the info....
    And thanks for welcoming me to another migraine....LOL

Brother G
    *Remember Rynns*
    "The Emperor Protects"